How many McLaren F1's are in N.E.? | FerrariChat

How many McLaren F1's are in N.E.?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Bad Chariot, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The reason I ask is yesterday for the 1st time in my life I saw a McLaren F1 on the highway (Rt.95N in Topsfield/Boxford area). Mind you I did not just see one but I saw TWO of them! There was a black one being tailed by a bright orange one with a tall blk wing. I just about sh*t myself when I saw them!

That gave new definition to a "Beautiful Sunday drive". That was about $2.5M in cars cruising along like every other beater on 95!

elmadi likes this.
  2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

I know (of) those cars, both are owned by the same lucky gentleman, the orange one was a F1 LM!

Lucky, lucky man.. Any pictures?

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That lucky man, Mr. Selldorff as I remember owns two F1's and the actual 0-100-0 Mph Record Orange McLaren F1 LM. He is a true enthusiast.

4. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I believe Herb Chambers (Chambers Motor Cars franchise) and Will Turner (Turner Motorsports) each have one.

Papa G

5. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I've seen a dark charcoal F1 with a light tan interior and turner motorsports stickers at NHIS. I was told that it was Herb Chambers' car and it was maintained by Turner Motorsports. But that's all hearsay.

Nice car, though. A bunch of guys from my car club were standing around the entrance to NHIS waiting to get in when that car came buzzing in, downshifting to get off the road and into the parking lot. Man, conversation ceased and we all looked like those videos of cats following a tennis ball- heads moving in unison as it went by...

-Gio P

6. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Herb Chambers owns one F1 and Frank Seldorf(sp) owns 3 I beleive (one of each model;F1, LM, GTR). Seldorf is good friends with Turner who stores and takes care of the minor issues with the cars. Frank is a very nice man and oen that drives his cars! I am not sure if any more are in the area, but to my knowldge these are the only ones at the moment.

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that was the Turner Motorsport guys, they were on their way to a British car show. Congrats btw, you've seen a mclaren LM, very rare ;)

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Whoever told you the black one is Herb's is wrong. Its owned by Frank Selldorff

Frank has 2 road cars (chassis #007 and 068) and an LM (LM003)

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

No, that was XPLM, McLaren have that car, its the prototype (production spec)

10. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    There's an article about this record breaking car on the last page of the recent issue of CAR, which our English friend has most definitely seen since it takes a few weeks to reach stateside. Can't remember who has it now, am sure it isnt the factory, and the magazine is in my truck. Like the movie the Fugitive, "you find that man," on the last page of this magazine. I am pretty sure the name already mentioned out in NE has this car...

By the way, as it was featured manytimes in Autoweek, has the last McLaren F1 that was up for auction just this spring been sold? Silver F1, under 300 miles, which sat in the lobby. The articles said they were pitching the car to current owners for $1.5 mil I believe. Never saw that it was sold or not.

RocketBoy

11. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
  12. karc

karc Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
  13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Maybe the XPLM did the 240 run at Nardo, but it was the Orange LM belonging to Mr. Selldorff that did the 0-100-0 Record breaking run with Andy Wallace at the Wheel.

I have the Original Car Magazine and the new one with the Enzo, Carrera GT, and SLR on the cover that wrote it up on the last page.

14. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So it sounds like I just saw one of the rarest automotive sightings around! Where is this Turner Motorsports located? How do they feel about people just "peeking around maybe taking some pictures?".

I work down near Boston Sports Car but have not popped by yet. I was told there is always something cool parked outfront.

15. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I stand corrected. You can't believe ANYTHING you hear at the racetrack...

-Gio P

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I stopped in to visit and was impressed with their cordial hospitality and willingness to show me [a younger non-owner] the shop and let me walk around.

Wow, I didn't know that there were any F-1's around. Hopefully I'll get to see one at an event in the next few years.

17. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Well, it was a road car that did 240 (xp5, but it is and was production spec, the only thing changed was the gearing and the underbody was polished).

Go look back at that article and look at the pictures. Then look at this: http://anything-auto.net/CARS/McLaren/1995_F1_LM/95f1lm_06.jpg (image credit: karc). Look at the rear wheels. There is a little decal there that says "XP1LM". XPLM meaning Experimental LM or Prototype LM. McLaren retain posession of this car.

The "new" silver car for sale for 1.8 mil (IIRC) was the car that sat in the McLaren park lane showroom. It is chassis #065.

Franks car is the one that did the Gumball Rally in the UK a few years ago (Previous owner used it).