348 Spider scuttle shake | FerrariChat

348 Spider scuttle shake

Discussion in '348/355' started by jonix, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonix

jonix Rookie

Jun 24, 2004
    UK near London
    Could anyone let me know if the handling of the Spider edition of the 348 suffers from scuttle shake?

A friend's Saab seems to suffer quite badly from this.

I am currently deciding whether to go for the Spider, TS or TB. It's a hard decision and it may be badly influenced by the fact that it's currently summer and intend to use the car when the weather isn't so good (here in the UK :) ).

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ive had convertible tr8, saab turbo, boxster and 348. 348 is as solid as boxster which is solid. i also frequently track it without handling problems. this is the 348 to have

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    All Spiders, it doesn't matter what the manufacturer is will suffer a degree of "scuttle shake", how much depends on the design of the chassis / body.

Over the years as technology has improved "scuttle shake" has greatly reduced, but is still there.

The best thing you can do is drive as many 348 Spiders as you can and decide for youself.

MW

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Forgot to mention, but the amount of shake will depend largely on the road surface.

5. jonix

jonix Rookie

Jun 24, 2004
    UK near London
    This may be me lacking basic knowledge but does the TB come with a T-Bar (as implied by the name)? Does TS mean Top Solid or something similar?

Would the TB edition suffer from "scuttle shake" or would it sit inbetween the Spider and TS in this respect?

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    tb = transverse berlinetta (fixed roof)
    ts = transverse spider (targa top, no t bar)

7. jonix

jonix Rookie

Jun 24, 2004
    UK near London
    Many thanks for that explanation :)