International Drivers liscense | FerrariChat

International Drivers liscense

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robiferretti, Jun 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Anyone on here have one? I've heard stories that you pretty much just pay all tickets and dont have to worry about points? this sound correct?

2. udalmia

udalmia Guest

I have one and my dad has one, I havent flashed it yet but yes my dad has no points on his license at all

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have one that was issued in the states, but it is only valid outside of the USA. If you have a residence outside of the USA, you can get one that is valid there.

I know for a fact that points from Brazil and South Africa never make it back to your home license. :)

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Robi, if you want to avoid points you can 1) Get a Puerto Rican lisence or 2) you have to get a foreign DL Then get an International DL.
    US issued Intl DL doesnt work in the US

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if you dont want points drive properly

6. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    Rob is just a student driver, he can't help it.

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Generally, this is correct. You need to get one that's issued abroad, and then you can drive in the US with it as long as it is valid. Typically, they are valid for one year.

However, if you do it long enough, and commit enough violations, they will open a DMV file on you just as if you had a US driver's license.

You are required to carry your passport with you in addition to the international driver's license. Most cops don't know this, but if one asks, and your passport happens to be American, just like your accent, etc., then you could be in a bit of hot water...

Also, to maintain the appearance, you would need to drive cars that are not insured or registered in your name. Or you need to have a good cover story as to why you are in the US temporarily, yet have bought, registered, and insured a car here.

Finally, you better not have a US driver's license already, at least with the same name(s) as those on the IDL. That will get you busted real fast, and cops are not amused if you lie to them.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You can buy a Passport in Paraguay for $500 US :)

9. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    i'll just selectively pull over from now on

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    parents have them for the uk. My dad got pulled over once, after the year limit had expired...cop was on to it and my dad had to say he was getting his US one the next day.