Help! Failed emissions! | FerrariChat

Help! Failed emissions!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LopeAlong, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi guys,
    TUrns out my new '83 308 qv is over on CO and HC. I changed out some fairly good looking Bosch plugs with some NGK's and noticed a definate increase in ooomph, as well as a smoother idle. I am also running a bottle of Techron through. I went out for some spirited driving to my niece's birthday today with my wife following me. She said it "smelled pretty rich, or something". I am hoping the smell might have been a result of the Techron(?). Anyone comment on that? Also, would the Techron influence a sniff test right now? I am planning on a re-test tomorrow and there is still a lot left in the tank.

THe car runs great other than the emissions issue. Any ideas on where to go from here if these two "fixes" fail?

Thanks!
    Jim

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    What were your readings? Is this just an idle test? Need details.

3. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Howz about goin' to a private auto inspector and greasin' his palm

(If you know what I mean...)

LOL

4. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    you can some what easily adust your Air/Fuel ratio but I caution against it. If you want to change I would suggest while your at a local shop having it's reading checked try to adjust it, I can refer you to a thread about it, if you are interested.

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Yep, I concur, check the A/F mixture first.

6. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yup, it is just a sniff test. There was about a 68 yr. old lady working the equipment. She told me to, "go out and run the crap out of it, tool by and see if there is a wait, if not come flying in here and I will jam the probs in. We'll get this sucker to pass!" Unfortunately it still did not - but she was a riot! Very knowledgable about the car.

Anyway, I was wrong about the late schedule at the test station. I thought it was last night but it is tonight. I will let you know. I do not have the test figures in front of me, but I am just barely over on both.

I wonder where I could go to get enough info on the injection system to make adjustments. Hell, if I can sync 4 Webbers, this should be like falling off a log.

THanks everyone!
    Jim

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If it is just tested at idle, you probably only need the CO mixture adjusted. Pretty much anyone with a CO sniffer can adjust that for you. Just give them the readout sheet from the testing facility, and let them make the tweek. Most places will do this for less than $45 as it only takes 5 minutes.

8. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    I have an 84 308QV which just had the same issue. The mechanic at the private garage told me "they all fail emissions". He had some tweaks to get around the problem and if you happen to be located in New Jersey I'll give you the contact info.

Another route I've taken in the past with an 84 Alfa and several 1880's vintage BMW's which failed is to use a pint of FUEL-ON. They GUARANTEE you'll pass emissions after using this. It always worked for me. Always.Most local auto parts stores stock it.

Good luck.

Frank

9. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah BUT, what the heck does it (Fuel-on) do? I am ass/u/me-ing that it is safe for an injection system and engine? You did not mention that you used it in your F-car... Sorry, just having flashbacks of redoing the injection system on my Powerstroke...flashback or nightmare!!!

I'm sorry, I mentioned that it was a sniff test - which is true - but I meant to say it was an idle test.

Thanks again!
    Jim

10. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!
    Curses! Foiled again!

Here's the numbers:

HC CO
    Acceptable levels 220ppm 1.2%
    First check 253 2.11
    Second check 244 2.01

Man, the car runs so good, I hate to mess with it! But then - could it be better? Or Fuel-on? It's not that I'm cheap, I just want a great running car!

Thanks guys!
    Jim

11. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    I randomly ran some Techtron in mine and it went over the limit as well. I burned 2 tanks of gas without the techtron and tested it again and it passed...

worth a shot!

mg

12. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Jim,

The reason I mentioned Fuel-On is that the 84 Alfa and at least one of the Bimmers had the same Bosch fuel injecion system as my 84QV. And I never had any problem with either of these (used it multiple times on each car, as well).

Just thought this was an option worth knowing about.

Didn't have to use it on the QV this time, as the mechanic had another method for getting it to pass while I was there.

Frank

13. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Just leaned it out (it was running quite rich) and we made it under the bar! THe guy at the test station gave me a lecture about polluting the environment and that I need to change my cat's etc., etc. I just smiled, said a few expletives under my breath, and drove away with my sticker. Got it cranked back up in the safe range again! I'll take the 68 yr old lady any time! Knuckle, next year I will try Fuel-On for giggles and see how we do - thanks for the tip.
    Thanks again!
    Jim

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    "Safe range"? I was told by my mechanic that there is an "ideal" setting, and making it "too rich" (with the cats still on the car) can destroy them. "pre cat" you want your CO around 1%.

Dave