550 vs 575 | FerrariChat

550 vs 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bostonmini, Jun 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    anybody that has driven both, preferably the 6 spd on the 575 for a more accurate comparison, any difference in power noticeable? I remember reading once that the 550 didn't deliver the promised power, but the 575 had them making sure it delivered every last pony...Styling wise, I actually prefer the 550, any thoughts guys? Anyone else prefer the 550?

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    There is a slight difference in the way the car feels powerwise, however the biggest difference is the adaptive suspension, which is an absolute delight.

3. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I've had a 550 6sp, and now have a 575 F1. There's quite a difference in power - the 575 feels "violent" where the 550 was just fast. No question the 575 is faster - especially in the high end. The suspension on the 575 is... well different. It wasn't altogether to my taste when I got it - even with the Fiorano package - but through my dealer I got an even harder suspension modification from Ferrari. That helped. The interior in the 575 is a LOT nicer in my opinion - outside the difference is quite hard to spot.

4. young-nyc

young-nyc Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bayside, NY
    Full Name:
    Young Kim
    i thought visually there really isn't much of a difference...

what are the differences anyway?

thanks

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    headlights, wheels, maybe some other minor stuff. I use the headlights to determine one from the other.

6. young-nyc

young-nyc Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bayside, NY
    Full Name:
    Young Kim
    headlights really?
    hmmmm...

can anyone post pics?

thanks =)

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    - More power and torque
    - Related to the above, a wider air intake in the hood
    - Addition of the F-1 gearbox
    - New leather interior trim
    - New dash design
    - New rims
    - Different headlights

But other than that, it's the same old car. :)

8. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    F1 box is optional (and I'd stay away from it by all means on this model).
    Suspensions are also said to be softer unless you opt for the Fiorano package. I only drove 575s with the Fiorano pack so I can't comment.

Interior, especially instrument cluster, is way nicer, except for the steering wheel whose good looking aluminium horn buttons are poorly placed.
    I dislike the exterior changes, wheels look good but front bumper is too massive and headlights look nasty IMHO.

I did not drive both back to back so objective comments about power/torque are difficult to make, but the 575 has a good engine, no doubt.

9. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    I have to disagree about the F1 box. It works much better on 575 than on 360 i drove last year. Just done a very fast run to Le Mans and back,mixed weather, F1 was a delight, handling with Fiorano pack superb, traction in wet was suprisingly good thanks to ASR and my accompanying 993 Turbo S driving friend with 450 BHP and 4WD had real problems keeping with us. This car is seriously fast but so easy to drive a long distance. I can't say how much better than a 550 it is without back to back but its certainly faster. 250 GT grille makes the 575 front end better too. Also think 575/550 much more colour sensitive than other models. Am I alone in thinking Rosso is not this models best colour choice?

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Nero is tops, IMO. Grigio Titanio is very very sexy.

--Dan

11. Cuore

Cuore Karting

Apr 28, 2004
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Like the 550 in "The family man". It's very nice!

12. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I strongly disagree with the "stay away from the F1". I have both a 575 and a 360 with F1 - and the F1 on the 575 is just so much better than on the 360. Some of the reason is that the 575 has so much more low-end torque, allowing the gear to engage at much lower revs.

13. AHMTHSSN

AHMTHSSN Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    AH
    Visually the 575 has different interior, headlights, bonnet/hood scoop and front bumper(the 550 had fog lights in the bumper where as the 575 doesnt).

The 18" rims are also different but you are able to order 19" Modular rims as an option.

I'm not sure if they changed anyting on the rear of the car as it looks exactly the same to me.

14. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    The f1 gearbox is a delight in the 575-
    Agree that certain ext colors that look great in the 360 (red,yellow) are not the most favorable colors for the 575.(IMO).I prefer the grigios,or blues or black in the 575.See my profile for grigio titanio.

15. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Joker, FYI,..............

575M DOES come in 6 speed

16. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I know. I just felt the gearchange on the 550 was a bit "slow" - it had a heavy feel, so I chose the F1 on the 575 - which I do not regret! :)

17. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango
    Greetings, I have the only 550 in The Big Mango (Thailand) and its a Grigio/Bordeaux, with tubi and ecu upgrade, highly recommended. My 550 has the 6-speed manual gearbox, this was recommended over the F1 gearbox by MS himself. He told me that the F1 gearbox should be for the track, manual gearbox is more fun.

18. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I havn't yet driven the two, but i have seen a video of the 575 and 550 racing around Fiorano, both as 6-Speeds. Both of the cars were driven by the same person, and the 575 was quicker by i think 2 seconds?

19. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    550 never had an F1 option. I've seen a steptronic version in the back pages of F1 magazine, but that's about it. What do you mean you had a choice of an F1 in a 550?

RocketBoy

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The video you refer to compares the 575F1 and the stick shift 550. I don't know if it's just me, but the driving style of the 550 during the lap appeared less than ideal. I would speculate a neater lap would yield a result pretty much identical to the 575 time.
    Aside form the significant interior upgrade, my experience is that the 550 suspension is better and more perfromance oriented. The 575 was softened up in response to competition from the Aston Martin etc. Apparently this was later addressed with the Fiorano handling pack, but it is not road legal here in Australia, so I don't know first hand.
    The performance difference between the two cars is marginal, with the 575 having slighly more power and weight.
    By way of background I spent quite a bit of time with my local dealer tsting the 575 and 550 back to back before making the decision to get the 550. It wasn'ta price thing, as huge discounts were being offered on the 575, which was black with the factory 19' wheels (drool).
    I just had more fun and had a better "feel" for the car in the 550.

21. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango
    #21 theera, Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Dear RocketBoy,

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I'll have to explain in more detail about how my choice of cars actually came. About two years ago, I was seriously thinking about replacing my much loved 512TR, and in my mind there could only be two choices for me either the 575 with the F1 or the Manual 550. Anyway,to cut the story short MS recommended me to get the latter because the handling is more raw, and an ecu upgrade could compensate for the shortage in power. I'll never forget MS's words of wisdom "You better leave the F1 for the track, getting from A - B is more fun if you got a manual".

By the way, there are 550 F1s...........and other interesting toys at the back of the factory. Trust me I've seen them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    There you have it folks! MS goes for the 550! :D

--Dan

23. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    If i had his talent i would go manual too but for mere mortals F1 makes driving quickly easier,safer and gives you that MS feeling IMHO !

24. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    theera,

I wasn't calling you out, ( unfortunately everyone on this website always thinks their opinion is the correct one. ) Just wanted an explination and here I get it. Thanks... Now I am more puzzled, I guess better to say more intrigued by the 550 F1. I heard in many forums that the 550s appeared underpowered but with the different suspension seemed more snappy and fun. Living out here in the Chicago burbs and doing any fast driving is limited only to the track and a friends farm out in the countryside, ( as I think you should have respect for other drivers and a place where there are soccer Moms in minivans is no place to gun a car. ) The F1 helps out in the boonies and the track. As Im driving around town however, when I am in the 575 that F1 is actually quite useful. The cabin in the 575 is a little better ( seems more roomy, as I have different seats and layout of instruments more open than stacked,) and the only knock on the 575 inside is that the steering wheel obscures the view of the tach and speedo just a bit.

I can't believe people actually compare the outward appearance of the two cars. Can many spot a difference between a 911 Carrera 4 and 2? The size of the headlights and grill being a huge difference? Come on.

550 seems more classic, but the 575 is a better car and how little they have dropped might reflect this, ( as the 575 is still at over 200K and I saw 550's drop more to 160K after two years and under 4000K miles. ) I guess in choosing the two all it will really come down to is price and if you really love the classic feel of a manual.

RocketBoy

PS: Anyone know of this Steptronic version of the 550 I was talking about?

25. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Excellent to hear about the all-weather, GT capabilities of the 575. As for color, I used to think RCorsa was too much for it, but the shape is so smooth, so understated chic, that I now think RCorsa looks very, very attractive on it. I saw one in Nero and felt the shape was hidden. The best, however, is Grigio Ingrio or Grigio Ferro Metallico IMO. They're as chic and smooth as the car.

Forza,

Cavallini