California or Florida | FerrariChat

California or Florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Ferrariguy2, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    I'm thinking about moving to California or Florida.... now for the debate... which one is better????

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    tough call.
    Depends on where in Cali first off. LA and San Diego area is beautiful and has great canyons to drive.
    LA traffic sucks.

Florida is VERY hot during the summer. I mean almost unbearable. We had record heat yesterday. It flet like a Gazillion degrees. I left the Hummer running wherever I went.

Both have good and bad sides.

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    The most beautiful, exotic women live here. Also you can actually go into the water here without freezing. The carribean islands are a short plane or boat ride away, N.Y.C. 2 1/2 hrs away. No earthquakes, landslides,fires,serial killers,allright so I'm getting carried away. At least the first 4 points are true.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    CA is full of crazy laws & high income tax, FL has ZERO income tax :) Do you really need more info ?

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

I 2nd that opinion. Mad hot

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I see you are also sick of snow and cold.

And perhaps you are sick of another term of Liberal party government.

7. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Depends what part. Both are big states with varied area's and peoples

My initial answer would be Florida. California is just not as much fun as it once was.

8. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    I moved to FL because Martin Lives here, do you need a better reason then that?

9. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Oh I forgot I moved here 30 years ago because I heard martin was going to move here.

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ocean Dr in South Beach is a lot classier than Venice Beach

I'd take Miami over SF or LA any day

Miami is like a modern Venice, its an awesome city

11. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief

Grrrr..... don't even get me started on the Liberals... !!

Not that sick of the now and cold, Toronto winters actually aren't that bad and the summers are gorgeous... just thinking about a change of scenary for a while.
    I've been to both L.A and Miami, like them both a lot, so its a tough decision!

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Beverly Hills is cool but I like Palm Beach better

and City Place is cooler than Rodeo Dr + there is Cavallino & Megayachts, You dont find that at BH

Also Moroso, Sebring,& Homestead nearby

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Miami? Cement city?? Can't advise that pick.

Palm Beach is very nice, but so are a lot of the Gulf Coast areas. Beautiful waters. I live close to Palm Beach...

IMO, Florida is way more easy financially to live in than the left coast. No state income taxes, property w'homestead excemption, and real relief from the unending tax rate hike dance seen in so many other states..

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Let's see, where do we own property:

Quebec
    Tennessee
    North Carolina
    Alabama
    Florida

Nope, California didn't make the list...

15. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Ya, I would stay away from Miami...great place to visit on Friday and Saturday nights (south beach and the gables) but to live? nah. Too much traffic, too many that don't speak english, too many bums, and the streets are downright confusing!

I like Fort Lauderdale...it's not too crowded yet but its not completely empty and it has a night life. Palm Beach is beautiful too!

I honestly would move to Naples if I were you...up and coming and Beautiful! So is clearwater! I was over there at Speed Within Reach picking up some parts and detailing a yacht over there and I fell in love with the city!!!

16. CRUSING

CRUSING Karting

Oct 31, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    I went through the same decision last February.

Chose Florida, Fort Lauderdale to be exact. My wife an I are very happy with our decision, and sure it is hot, but that is why we moved here! Everyone sweats when they go outside, so it is not a big deal, just realize that you will sweat.

Taxes are much better and cost of living is great, but the state makes up the taxes on real estate and mortgages.

The only bad thing is there not really any place to drive a ferrari unless you like to pose. My $.02.

17. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Good call...I love Fort Lauderdale (Davie to be exact). I love driving my NSX out here too... I-75 is a great highway to drive, as is US 27. Good group of NSX owners, S2000 owners and hopefully one day I'll be able to say Ferrari owners (if I ever get to meet ya'll!! :) )

18. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    WHat about Moroso, Sebring & Homestead

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hey William, you forgot Speed Indoor Karting!

BHW

20. lambo_vt

lambo_vt Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    I too am thinking of making the move to florida; but I've seen and heard of some problems with rust and corrosion from the humidity and ocean air... Is this a problem?

21. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Hey, IMO, that is a common misconception. Now, anywhere with humidy and rain has rust potential, but you can manage that risk. What is tougher to cope with is road salt and the generally poor conditions of the roads up North. That combination certainly contributes to rustout and shaking apart your auto.

One of the first things that I noticed here is how d@mn good the roads are here. No freezing, no potholes, and associated rotten roadways.
    And I've never had a problem with rust, although I suppose if you park your car outside on the beach it could be an issue. :)

22. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Corrosion can be a problem when the humidity is high. (summer months) Keep your best cars in an air conditioned facility. Makes all the differance in the world. Your daily driver can be in a non/AC garage but do keep it in the garage and out of the sun which can kill a car real quick if left out long enough.

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    yes, talk to most car dealers and they wiol tell you that florida exotics then to havemore issues.... heat , humidy, salty air,etc.....california used exotics tend to be cleaner witth less issues in general....

24. lambo_vt

lambo_vt Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Thanks guys for all the great feedback!

25. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Check out Citrus County and surrounding counties. This would include Ocala, Crystal River, Lecanto.
    It is horse country. Wide open country roads that are all being widened to 4 lanes now. Major influx of people coming in from the North, Northeast, and from south Florida.
    Real estate is booming but still inexpensive compared to the rest of the US.
    1 acre about 30K. Most people are on an acre at least. Many gated communities being built now. Over fifty golf course all open to the public within twenty minutes drive. Green fees generally 20 to 50 dollars with cart.
    The Gulf is fifteen minutes away for Tarpon Fishing which is great. Second best to the Keys.
    New Homes in general: 3000 sq ft on one acre about 260K. Custom build for about $100/sq ft.
    The downside: Nearest Ferrari dealer is Central Florida in Orlando (1-1/4 hours away down the Turnpike. You can wail if you have a good detector. Shelton Ferrari is five hours away in lauderdale.
    This place is full of retired people mostly.
    Gary