Moving to the US | FerrariChat

Moving to the US

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by paulnwgb, Jun 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    I think it's quite probable I'll be relocating to the US in a few months.

What does the panel think I should do with my 360?

I'm reluctant to sell it, so what's the possibility of shipping it to the US? And how will that cover me from a warranty point of view? Any emissions I need to be aware of? What about costs to ship it? Any LHD/RHD concerns?

I'll crosspost this to one of the US groups - hopefully someone's been there done that got the t-shirt etc.

Cheers
    Paul

2. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    Oh, on the offchance it makes any difference, specifically I'll be heading to Virginia.

Cheers
    Paul

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Paul, I'd think that by the time you've got it to the states registered and then insured it you'll find its easier to sell up here and buy another US spec car, haven't a clue what they go for in the states but you could be lucky enough to sell high over here and buy cheap in the US,

maybe you should post this in the general forum as I'm sure lots of americans have imported cars

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    there was a person on the board who did the same thing - search the archives - it may have been on the old board. he was from the UK and also had a 360

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'd sell and buy another in the US- lhd are cheaper!

Robert.

6. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    I agree but buy a Euro spec car, none of those side reflector things that make any car look cheap... IMO of course...! Emissions should be the same ? with a car that has a OEM Exhaust.

Good Look,

Seb

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    if you're relocating permanently (or at least for a long while), it seems like the weak dollar would work in your favor if you sold in UK and bought new in US. your current RHD UK car will have minimal resale value in the US - so if you brought it here and needed to sell it for some reason you'd be toast.

doody.

8. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Paul,

Dare you divulge your reason for going......?

9. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    get rid here ..............................the dollar is weak at the moment

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Doody is correct.....

...and I didn't vote in that "Harry" thread..that Wax is cruel.

You could lease the car to Yanks on the way to Goodwood! :)
    Thru some type of agent or something......

11. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I think you have a year to register it in the US, change the RHD for a LHD over here and take to the US and keep it on UK plates for a 12 months - while you're at it take across a couple of Elises too - the money you'll make on those will easily cover the costs of transporting to the US.

Rick

12. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    where ave you been up to your elbows in ****

13. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    Thanks everyone - costs of shipping it are proving higher than expected. For anyone's interest:

Dedicated container to ship from Felixstowe to Norfolk, VA is £4,500 (RO/RO is available @ £800 quid, but everyone's telling me I'd be mad to ship a Ferrari in that way)

US Duty is $2,400

US Gaz Guzzler (really!) tax is $7,400

I know it's cheaper to flog it over in the UK and buy a new one in the US, but I'm not sure I can do that.

By the time I kill off the baloon payment in the UK, I'd only walk away with 25-30k. I'll have zero credit history in the US, so any US F-dealer is just going to laugh in my face if I try and use credit facilities to buy a car.

My only option seems to buy outright in cash, but I can't to that since I'm already buying a house outright in cash for the same lack of credit history reason.

Don't think I can live without my F-car though. Bollocks. :(

14. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if you are buying the house cash use it as secureity for a loan for a ferrari [cant firking spell]

15. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    Sure - I want to setup some other businesses - they're completely location independent, as I now am.

And if you're completely location independent, it makes no bloody sense to live in the UK, for me anyway. Not that the US is the perfect place to go for those reasons, but I'm married to a US citizen, so it's just easier.

So, plan is sell up (except the house I still have in London - gonna rent that out), move to the US, buy the new house outright, keep the rest stashed for living expenses for 4-5 years, and start up some more businesses.

If I can't make at least one of the ideas work given that I'll have no day job to slow me down and no pressure to earn day to day cash, and a few years to pull it off - then I'll shoot myself in the head. Bear in mind these business ideas require zero capital to launch.

Quick example - 5 bedroomed house in it's own grounds (11 acres), with swimming pool, central air con and the usual stuff - £130k.

The idea of losing the F-car though, that hurts.

16. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    Now why the hell didn't I think of that? Ok, that's definitely worth considering - thanks.

So, anyone have any idea what a 52 360 Spider F1 is worth with 12k on the clock? I reckon £90-95? Maybe a bit more?

What I need to do is a find a US chatter who's coming to live in the UK and do a swap!

17. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Can you not take out a regular bank loan over here before you go and use the cash to buy a car in the US?
    Plenty of banks do balloon payment loans, if that's the way you want to do it. That way you're not tied into buying a car here, as you would be if you got finance for a particular car from a Ferrari dealer here. They don't want/need to know where the actual car is you're buying

I know alliance and leicester do such a deal (www.alliance-leicester.co.uk)