Selling 996 Turbo for 550 anyone else? | FerrariChat

Selling 996 Turbo for 550 anyone else?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stan996turbo, Jun 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I am selling my 02 996Turbo for a 99 550 this week, and anxious whether I made a good decision. Can anyone who has owned both cars share some thoughts about owning these two cars.

2. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    One month ago I traded my '03 twin turbo for an '01 550.

From a technical standpoint, it's hard to find a better car than a 996-based turbo. It feels quicker than the 550, with idiot-proof handling (as long as the PSM is on; trust me, I'm an idiot and would know :)). Its lighter weight and shorter wheelbase is noticeable when driving.

Having said that, it's not a Ferrari. I've had 4 911s and 4 Ferraris (a 355 Spyder, 360 Modena, and 2 different 550s, a '97 and an '01). The frenetic revving of the engine is intoxicating. The torque throughout the entire power band of the V12s is astounding. Drive it in third at about 4500 rpms and nail the throttle; not even the TT can provide that type of instantaneous power. The engine is smoother. It handles like a car that is smaller than it is and it just feels more planted to the road at high speeds than the Turbo does. Heck, I'm even intoxicated by the smell of the Ferrari engines, which is distinctive and different than the Germans. It's just as comfortable to drive as the Turbo, while being more thrilling. I can't define why; but it may have a lot to do with the sound of that engine. If the Turbo can be flawed in any respect, it's that.

Cosmetics are another issue. Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder but the 550 has always appealed to me. The interior of the 550 represents perfection in my view. The Porsche is functional, at best.

I don't know if you've owned a Ferrari, but it's a different ownership experience, and not altogether in a pleasant way. Maintenance costs of the 550 will dwarf those of the Turbo. Ferraris need more TLC than a Porsche.

Feel free to PM me with further questions or to just chat about this. Do it; you will have no regrets.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have owned both and agree 100% with Gary. The TT is probably the best Porsche ever made. But it just doesn't compare to the Shark.

Good luck, DrTax

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    been there done that. traded my 2001 996TT against a 1999 550 in December 2002. never regretted it. i grew very tired of AWD, turbo-lag, and e-gas. the 996TT is a GREAT car, but i found it rather soulless.

i had a 996 C2 Cab as well as the TT. and my GT3 hit port on monday. so i'm not anti-996 by any means!

DO IT. ENJOY IT!

totally different beasties.

doody.

5. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    I currently own both and, as long as you sort of know what you are getting into, I think you'll enjoy the Ferrari experience.

Minuses
    When something does go wrong it may take a while to fix it and the fix may be VERY expensive. There are not a lot of these cars out there and the dealers rarely stock the parts that are needed. Yes, it’s even worse than Porsche!

Routine maintenance is way more on the F-car. Expect to spend somewhere between 5-15 times more/yr for just routine maintenance. If you think this is going to bother you then yes, you have made a mistake because the biggest error Ferrari owners make, in my opinion, is short-changing routine maintenance. Don't even begin to think that the Ferrari will only cost a bit more than the Porsche to maintain.

You may be disappointed with the Ferrari's performance at first. You'll need to get used to keeping the revs about 1000-1500 higher than in the P-car. Then the F-car becomes a real kick to drive.

I worry more about where I'm going to park the Ferrari.

Pluses
    I think the Ferrari is a moving piece of art-and the interior is almost as good as the exterior.

The Ferrari is a much more intense car to drive, even one like the 550, which is not really a sports car but rather is a GT.

The sound of the engine at high revs is fantastic. No, it's not a 360 but even the 550 sounds better (to me) than the 996tt.

I’ve thought seriously about selling my 996tt- I’ll never be without a Ferrari again.

6. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    I currently own both and, as long as you sort of know what you are getting into, I think you'll enjoy the Ferrari experience.

Minuses
    When something does go wrong it may take a while to fix it and the fix may be VERY expensive. There are not a lot of these cars out there and the dealers rarely stock the parts that are needed. Yes, it’s even worse than Porsche!

Routine maintenance is way more on the F-car. Expect to spend somewhere between 5-15 times more/yr for just routine maintenance. If you think this is going to bother you then yes, you have made a mistake because the biggest error Ferrari owners make, in my opinion, is short-changing routine maintenance. Don't even begin to think that the Ferrari will only cost a bit more than the Porsche to maintain.

You may be disappointed with the Ferrari's performance at first. You'll need to get used to keeping the revs about 1000-1500 higher than in the P-car. Then the F-car becomes a real kick to drive.

Pluses
    I think the Ferrari is a moving piece of art-and the interior is almost as good as the exterior.

The Ferrari is a much more intense car to drive, even one like the 550, which is not really a sports car but rather is a GT.

The sound of the engine at high revs is fantastic. No, it's not a 360 but even the 550 sounds better (to me) than the 996tt.

I’ve thought seriously about selling my 996tt- I’ll never be without a Ferrari again.

7. Future Owner

Future Owner Rookie

May 15, 2004
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jon

Minuses

Pluses

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Well said. Go for it.
    Used to have P-turbo myself....(loved it, too) but drgek puts it best.

9. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Gary, I wish I had written that. It captured my feelings as to the difference between Ferrari and Porsche. Great Job!!!

10. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I had the 2001 TT Porsche and sold it primarily because I couldn't stand the black paint. I traded for a CL 500. Both were great cars but lacked the emotional appeal. They were both cars that I could use comfortably as daily drivers. I then traded the CL for a 2000 550 last year. It definitely has more emotional appeal but it is not a good daily driver. It sits around most of the time until I find some time to just go for a drive for a drive's sake so I don't drive it very much compared to the other 2 cars. On the other hand, every time I go out into the garage I enjoy just looking at it---- something the Porsche and the MB failed to reach the same level of emotion. Honestly though, if the Porsche had been silver I might still have it (but the way i go through cars probably not!). Sense some ambiguity here-----------

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    why don't you drive it? i use mine to go pick up my dry cleaning, or lunch, or some tool or other at sears. i even take it to home depot if i'm not getting a big quantity of stuff.

what's holding you back?

doody.

12. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    I second that Doody: I often take the 550 on errands around town. That's one of its strengths: it's a very tractable car that will happily toodle around town until you want to nail it and it then shows its heritage. Whenever I know I'm going someplace where it won't be dinged, I take it. You should see the looks it gets from the bakery guys who watch it for me when I take it to Costco. It's great seeing their faces when I let them sit it in it- it makes their day and mine too.

13. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mr. Robbins,

I used to live in Dublin, OH and I believe I saw your 550 numerous times near my house. Just being at the same set of lights as your car gave me goose bumps. The reason I believe it was you, for the same guy driving the Red 550 I would also see driving a 996TT which I also know you own/owned.

Take Care,

Michael

14. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    Hi Michael:
    That may of been me: i was up there often enough. Good to hear from you and hope you're well.

15. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I guess I don't drive the 550 (which is indigo grigo by the way) as much because of a variety of reasons. The trunk is really to small to put any thing in so for most of the hardware runs I take my truck. Malls, shopping centers, restaraunts etc. are to worrisome for door dings and key scratchers. Driving it to work has its political factors which have been discussed in other threads. For longer trips I'd rather fly. So that doesn't leave much to do with it except drive it for fun which I have little time for. And, since I race in SCCA with an open wheel car, spirited driving on the street has less appeal than it did in the past. What,...... do I hear a violin playing???????? I still enjoy the car.