Couple of General Questions for Folks in Phoenix (not Ferrari-related) | FerrariChat

Couple of General Questions for Folks in Phoenix (not Ferrari-related)

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by JOEV, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Greetings Phoenicians,

I'm posting this here instead of Off-Topic because it is geographically specific (sounded reasonable to me).

I just returned from a 10 day business trip to Phoenix and I was quite impressed by your city. I have been all over the place and I don't think I've met friendlier people anywhere. It took me a few days to get used to strangers waving and saying hello, as that does not happen up here. Congrats.

A few things I was curious about:

1) For the entire duration of my stay, it was between 104-108 degrees, with 4% (or so) humidity. While the low humidity is nice, that is still an insane temperature. Does everyone just hide inside all day? When do kids play sports? Also, the daily peak temperature was at around 5:30PM which I found a little strange - shouldn't peak temp be in the early afternoon?

2) On the way to my hotel in Desert Ridge, we passed by an area that had mansions built into the sides of mountains/hills (whatever you call them) - I think the driver said we were passing Paradise Valley. Questions: How would an ambulance or fire truck get up there? Also, are there zoning laws that govern what/where you can build? Some of the homes seemed kind of haphazard while others were like fortresses. Who owns those mountains/hills? Private? City? State?

3) Your roads seemed excellent and the city in general was very clean. What are property taxes like? What is crime like? Does anyone happen to know what the average age is there, i.e. mostly retirees escaping the snow or are there a lot of 20,30,40-somethings?

Thanks.

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    1) The heat really isn't all that bad, I find it rather comfortable, and I'm from Montreal. Yes, we mostly stay inside all day, and come out during the early morning or at night. Kids play sports at night or indoors at some facility or another.

2)I know squat about PV, except that I want to live there because it's awesome!

3) I think property taxes are very low, and are about to go to an all time low, according to the news. Crime is rather high, depending where you are, especially car theft, as phoenix/mesa are the highest for car theft in the country. Average age is probably 45-55, but there are many people from different age groups.

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Greater Phoenix has approx 3.5 million residents, which makes it a large and diverse city. You will find all types of people there. Today's modern Pheonix economy is driven by High tech (Intel,Motorola, Honeywell, TRW, Microchip, JDA Software) and financial services (American Express, Schwab, USAA). Real estate is booming due to the very rapid population increase and there are major medical facilities such as the Mayo hospital, the Phoenix Heart center and excellent regional general hospitals. It has a relatively young demographic profile, far different from 15 years ago when up to 25% of the population was part-time retirees. The area you refer to, Paradise Valley, is a small town of approx 12 sq miles, nestled between Phoenix and Scottsdale. It is entirely residential and has the highest property values in the metro area.
    The summer heat (Jun to Sep) is extreme, but most facilities are adequately air conditioned and it's advisable to stay indoors during the afternoon. It stays hot during the day because the desert acts as a retainer of heat which continues to build up the whole dayand peaks around 5 -6pm.
    I personally avoid the heat by moving out during the summer months to the the west coast.

Hope this helps. BTW the local chapter of the FCA has over 200 members with more than 300 Ferraris in town.

4. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Patrick and Alex. Appreciate the info.

Next time I'm there, I will beg Roy K for a ride in his 550 (in exchange for dinner wherever he wants) - Roy doesn't know this yet.

5. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    He will when he reads it :)

6. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Howdy JOEV,

Speaking of eating, I just returned from 8 days eating my way across France. Sitting here watching the USGP on TiVo and brewing a second pot of coffee to counter the jet lag.

As usual, I have little to add to Alex’s great comments. My wife and I are desert rats and love Phoenix. There are a couple of months where strenuous outdoor activity is limited to early mornings, but the majority of the year is glorious. Phoenix and its surrounding cities, with the sales tax support of their citizens, have tried very hard to address some of the growth challenges (building new freeways, buying-up open spaces for parklands, park development, airport development, etc.)

I’d be glad to introduce you to the area if you return to Phoenix. Send me a PM in advance as I travel quite a bit, as you probably do.

Roy

7. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you very much Roy. I will take you up on that when I return.

Joe

8. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    #1 reason to move here.
    YOU CAN DRIVE YOUR FERRARI ALL YEAR ROUND!!

PS... the other 9 months weather during the year are fabulous!

9. Lime

Lime Rookie

Jun 29, 2004
    South Korea
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just moved from North Phoenix last week. I was there for 3 years, its hot outside, but I loved it, last year in the news they talked about 70 consecutive plus days over 100 degrees and 40 plus days of over 110. I think these were the figures, Alot of the Arizona Cardinals have houses in PV. Arizona is some cheap housing though. average house 1700 square feet $149,000- $169,000. Average median price in PV 1.5 Mil.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Alex of course has the best low down on the facts about the city. As far as the heat goes....it's a matter of adaptation. I race triathlons and train all year round...my training time is roughly 2pm. I wouldn't suggest doing that if you aren't used to it...but when I race in CA and it's 70 degrees....it's a piece of cake.

Alex has to help me live my summers in SoCal.....pleeeeassse! :)

Roy is a great guy....but don't let him borrow your wine opener ;)

Ciao...Dino

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Hey Dino....come on down!
    it was 72 today and the sunset was glorious. We 'll be at the Aegean Cafe tonight celebrating Roxy's birthday.

12. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Yeah, yeah.......Mr. Break-it, that's me. The new opener OK?

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess

Dino

I have found that sitting in the steam room at the gym for about 20 mins a day helps myself deal with the heat. Heck since i have been working out again i hardly ever turn on the A/C in my Truck, and keep the Thermostat in my house at 85. the worse part of this time of the year is walking into a store that has the A/C set to 65, to me it feels like steping into a freezer :(

Beast