612 flipping | FerrariChat

612 flipping

Discussion in '612/599' started by Frank_C, Jul 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Does anyone suspect the 612 can be flipped for a profit? I'm getting cold feet about 2+2 depreciation-I'm number 3 for a dec 04 build. Should I change my deposit (for the third time from 575 to 360 replacement to 612) back to either a spider or maranello replacement and wait?

I've got an 05 Vanquish getting ready to go on the line for a november delivery, I don't need (to keep) both this year.

2. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Frank
    I don't believe any money can be made on the 612. It's the 2+2 stigma, justified or not. I just sold my spider and I'm in line for the 360 replacement and maranello replacement. I believe both cars will be more fun and a possibility for some profit.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I thought Ferrari dealers didn't allow this until you had owned the car at least one year, correct? If even sold, the dealer would have first rights to purchase the auto. I guess it would also depend on the purchase terms.

4. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    IMHO, NOT A CHANCE!!!
    Solipist, I believe that measure only applies to the Enzo, exactly to avoid speculation, and non-car enthusiast flipping the cars for a quick buck (and a big one, at that).

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think dealers will be performing all sorts of tricks to move the 612. Might even be the first Ferrari to be part of a buy 1 get 1 free deal ;), or other sales methods that much lower class manufacturers use.

Frank_C, in all seriousness if the 612 does not excite you or otherwise, change your order. If it pushes your buttons then stick with it, but the last thing you want to do is let this run its course and end up with a car you don't want ... especially when you have other awesome cars on order.

Don't be like many, I suspect (?), and allow yourself to be blinded by the Ferrari badge, etc. ... in the end it is a car, and it has to be what you want, not just what the deranged? Ferrari company want to make.

Pete's opinion

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Liken it to the 456; you'll only lose money on the 612, and that loss comes the moment you actually purchase the car!

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You will make no money on the 612. Get the car that you want to own.

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Cancel the vanquish. The 612 is better car. Plus if you jump around from
    one f-car to another f-car.The dealer my not treat you right on the order list. The vanquish will also depreciate due to The new DB9.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay 612 purchase status so far:

5 against (including potential owner as his post is showing doubt).
    1 for.

Interesting.

Pete

10. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    I would consider this a lifestyle purchase. We all know the new 12-cylinder Ferrari automobiles will depreciate. If you like the overall car buy it. If not, find something else. The 612 is a 2+2 driving car. We live in the Rocky Mountains and it would be nice to drive 4 people to the mountains for a weekend. If you're worried about depreciation, buy an MB E55 AMG. In my opinon, the 612 is elegant with 575 power. Why not look at the Maserati Quattroporte for $100K. I all depends on the intended use. If it is for holding value and prestige, buy an V-8 Ferrari. If it is for you and the grand tourning experience with four people (mostly two), buy the 612. The car was designed for a specific group. If you want a hot rod at the track, get a Stradale or 355 Challenge. I may be wrong, but I think the 612 will lose value just like the 575s, but if money isn't an issue and the car fits you, go with it. Either way, a Ferrari is a Ferrari and you should not be disappointed. Hell, a 355 GTS is still one on the most remarkable cars ever made ($90K to $120K).

Brett Derosier

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I had a similar dilemma,finally ordered a DB9 Volante (March delivery) and switched my 612 order to 575 replacement(I think it will be dynamically even better then 612 but with fabulous proportions and looks since Ferrari people are not oblivious to all the recent criticism)
    That way I think I will be assurred of having a really beautiful couple of cars.