Sports Exhausts----------------------- | FerrariChat

Sports Exhausts-----------------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Good thread Tony-

I have recorded a 'before' of my 355 pre Tubi silencer, and will shortly be recording an 'after'. Tommyw has kindly offered to host them for me on the Web so the uninitiated will be able to get some idea of what a Tubi sounds like...

Perhaps we could get a library together with links to other videoclips, starting with a good videoclip of a decat Tubi too....Tony?

Robert.

3. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Tubi seems to be the exhaust of choice for you guys?

Personally I've found that Quicksilver systems offer the best sound with 3 levels of volume available, (88Db, 95Db & 110 Db), and they are considerably cheaper than Tubi and Capristo.

Just MHO

I have the 'Supersports' system fitted to the Boxer, It's quite simply the best sounding engine/exhaust combination ever devised in the history of automobiles.

Regards,

Seb

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I can imagine that the boxer v12/supersport combo is great. I went for the Tubi 'cos it is well tried and tested (main dealer fit option in the USA) and there is a long history of collaboration between Ferrari SPA and Tubi. Also, Scuderia Systems offer a 'no risk trial', which is of great comfort to a coward like me...

5. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Understandable under those circumstances.....I have questions about your swap from your 328 to 355, I'll PM you later ?

Cheers,

Seb

6. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Seb,

I have contacted them about one for my TR. Are they really that good? Any noticeably power improvement?

Thanks

Pete

7. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Abso..bloody...lutely,

Standard sytem gives about +5 BHP, but this just a direct SS replacement of the Ferrari system,

Sports system gives +12 BHP and a much deeper, loader note,

But the Super Sports system gives around +17 BHP and is beyond sublime,

Although the numbers above are Quicksilvers quoted gains, I had mine dyno'ed before and after by a Friend and we saw +21 BHP for the Boxer !

Paul Goddard is a great bloke full of 'sound' advice, (Forgive the pun), I'll be a life long customer.

Cheers,

Seb

8. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thansk Seb. I will hopefully get one at the end of the year, hoping that things improve at work and I can get soem decent bonus money.

Did they have to do any mod's at all or was it a straight fit?

Thanks

Pete

9. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Pete,

Straight Fit, no mods at all, I'm intrigued to know what you do in F1 ?

Any chance of some Pit Passes and Tickets for Siverstone ?
    Could bring Boxer for you to listen too ?
    (Large Hint)

Seb

10. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Excellent, thats good news. I hope to get one soon as my current exhaust just looks a bit tired-though there is nothing wrong with it-.

I provide IT Support from a very well known British team at their factory. Very, very long hours and takes up a great deal of my life. Spent 4 months with the test team last year, but the hours and time away from home was too much. Do a bit of everything here, 1st, 2nd and 3rd line. Get involved in all aspect of IT support factory and trackside-cars won't start without a laptop these days! No two days are same really. Need to be very dedicated to work in F1, certainly not for everyone.

Will be at Silverstone, ironically the first GP I have ever been too!! Been all over Europe to race tracks, but never seen one!! Get one ticket for Silverstone and I believe its Grandstand-sadly no spares! Pit access is a pickle even for us, but if there is a problem IT related you never know-however we do have an IT guy on hand at every race and another guy (who replaced me) for the tests!

Have to listen to your exhaust at meet at somepoint!

Pete

11. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Tony i will add this firm,ive used the to make a pair of manifolds for a project im doing,its not as good as tubi but his work is very good for the price,
    http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/

cheers
    Dale.

12. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Offer's still open Robert, just email them to me on the address I gave you when they're ready.

13. ian_jory

ian_jory Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I agree - they seem a good outfit. I used their 'request for info' form on their web site and got a very prompt email reply from Paul with useful info and picture. I am still deliberating over what SS exhaust to get for my Mondial QV - and would also be very interested to hear an example of a Quicksilver system on a car. However, I am very tempted by their SuperSports system as it is a very good price (just over 800 quid, including VAT and delivery!)

By the way, I started the thread that Tonyh put in a link to at the start of this one. There is some really useful info on there that some of the other guys posted.

14. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    i priced sport system for the boxer 512i and quicksilver were the same price as tubi, as it turned out the boxer I bought already has a tubi fitted. I have used quicksilver about 6 months ago for rear exhaust boxes for my Pantera, needed boxes with 3" pipework to match the manifolds on the new engine I installed but wanted stock appearance, they did a first class job and the sound is just unreal, great outfit
    steve

15. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    In my personal search for the holy grail, aka the best sounding exhaust for the 355, i've seen and heard a lot of systems, but i must say that those from Japan are really the best ones by far...

In particular the 'MS racing' and the 'Kida special' exhausts are, ihmo, the very best...

Here we go...

16. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    The only downside...?!?

Price :-(

Since those mufflers are made of titanium (instead of stainless steel) they cost about 50% more than the Tubi/Capristo...

MS Racing and Kida sell in Japan for about 400000 yen (about 3000 euro) and you must add shipping and taxes...

17. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    I was talking to Roger at KHPC today about exhausts for my 355. They get them custom made by some Northern firm(no higher recommendation in my book :) )
    Cost is £1295 plus £135 fitting.

I heard it in the flesh and it has a real nice rasp to it without being too loud at idle. Seems tempting at the price. I definitely don't want a Tubi as I'd like something a little different and don't want the Tubi boom which would do my head in after a few miles. Each to their own I suppose

Has anybody got one of these?

18. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Hi Graham

Not sure what the Tubi boom is that you refer to ? I have one on my 355GTS and there is no resonance or boom when cruising. Under acceleration there is a lot of noise but thats what you want. Manu has a try before buy service whereby if you dont like it you can take it off , why not try one out first ?

James

19. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Hi James
    I must admit I've never been in a Tubi'd 355 so stories about booming are just what I've picked up from various threads. There seemed to be a theory that on long journeys your ears would be ringing after a bit. Roger mentioned the booming when he was asking me what I wanted from an exhaust.

KHPC also do a similar try before you buy service so now I'm in a dilemma. Could try them both I suppose

20. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    khpc fit bell exhaust systems i have had one as good as a tubi but not as dear

21. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Steve
    I asked him if they were Bell and he said that they don't fit them to the 355. Bell were too busy/couldn't be bothered to supply them

22. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    There is DEFO a resonance , at least on my de-cat Tubi.Around 2.5-3.5 RPM..........