130€ in this car... | FerrariChat

130€ in this car...

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by tonin0804, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    This is the car i was bidding for:

2. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    And this is the car i won with a price of 130€ (around 160 USD):

3. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    Not really great, I don't see anything...........

please repost your picture, thanks.

4. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Here are the pics. Sorry :p

5. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I think that there are something different between the F50 GT in the first pic and the F50 GT in the other pics. I forgot to put a picture of the wheels. The black wheels don't move, and the tyre isn't a slick like in the first pic, is the classic bburago tyre. The front air intake, the wheels...
    Please, tell me what do you think.

6. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    you didn't get the car from the first picture....

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very interesting and it doesn't speak for the company you got it from. I agree there are major differences that shouldn't be there for that price.

First the good news: The red is red and not orange as in the pic at the bottom :)

The wrong tires is unexcusable. So is the unpainted mirror and fuel cap. I can understand why they didn't bother to put in the additional vent hole in the front, that is a major pain to do. They can be forgiven for that, but they shouldn't show it in the first pic.

Not turning wheels is not great, but fairly common in customized models. These are static display models after all.

What happened to the front is a mistery. It is totally wrong anyway, even in the first pic. The car had a black underbody wing and a yellow hook ring. Also the rear wing support struds are black.

What went well is the transformation of the engine cover. Nice job there.

So bottom line is:

a) I'm not impressed with the job they did. However:
    b) What's wrong you can easily fix yourself and end up with a great model.

PS: I believe our sponsor Cavallino Models offers the F50 GT taylormade for $ 200 and in perfect condition. So you paid about $ 150 and have to make some changes yourself. Sounds about where the market is, doesn't it?

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Do you have a copy of the ad/auction which shows the wording and pictures?

9. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    What the heck happened? Try to go through eBay (if that is where you got it) and try to get your money back.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I wouldn't do that as the defects are fixable. If anything I'd ask for a discount.

BTW: I checked the front wing is indeed red (not black as I stated), but the shape is all wrong, but could also be easily fixed with some sheet metal, putty and paint. I'm not trying to downplay the issues, but the though parts (the engine cover and roof) are done well, so I wouldn't send this back.

11. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Okay that sounds good. At least get something back.

12. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Hi. I've asked him to bring me back a part of my money. I'm waiting his answer. This is the model i bought: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2495&item=4215146362
    I don't understand german, so i think that i bid for the model of the pic.
    The engine cover and the roof are a good resin job, and i can understand that the wheels don't move, but i think that the front is very bad. Very bad for 130€. I didn't bid for a good base to make a very good model. I bid for a very good model.
    I hope that the seller would bring me back a part of my money, and i'll try to make a very good model.
    Now, i think that i should buy the F50 GT cavallino model, but i never thought that the model i was bidding for would be so bad...
    Thanks for your support, and sorry about my english...
    Regards from Spain.

Antonio.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Reading the auction he actually does clearly state at the top in big letters that the product can look different from the pictures. So you might be out of luck.

Also I looked closely at the parts listed in the kit (he used) and notice the wrong front wing. So he basically assembled what he was supposed to (didn't do a great job but that's besides the point). Weird that they deliberately came up with that wing. Makes me wonder whether this front, that we consider wrong might have actually been used in one of the three cars?

14. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Maybe you're right, Andreas. I didn't understand that the model can look different from the pic. This clarifies everything. I've never seen any picture of a F50 GT with this front, but... i'll try to make a better model. Thanks.
    I'll be more careful in the future. But, i still think that the model is too different from the original picture. And the quality doesn't correspond with the price.
    When i modify the F50 GT, i'll show you some pics.
    Thanks to all.