Giant Feet & Pedal Location in 238, 348 & 355 | FerrariChat

Giant Feet & Pedal Location in 238, 348 & 355

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by shawsan, Jul 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    If only for a laugh, I share my genuine concern and questions with you as I search flat out for a 96-99' 355. Price isn't an issue, servicing costs don't concern me, but to my suprise, my feet may get in the way, in a big way!

My concern was prompted at a car show in Vancouver BC last week, where my supercharged BMW M5 was on display next to a near perfect 328 Berlinetta. I slipped into the 328 to find that the peddals were bunched together and squeezed to the right. It took only a few moments to realize the steering column is very close to an "intrusive" left wheel well, resulting in little space for legs to strecth out. This is a very different set up from the 'business class' type seating and wheel well spacing of BMW M cars (of which I have two). Now, I'd read the peddals in a 355 require a bit of getting used to, but I just didn't think twice about it until my size 13, tripple E width feet, got in the way. The guy selling the car recommended I buy form fitting driving shoes; others advise me to covert leather briefcases into sandals.

I then spent time examining a 348 Berlinetta and a 355 Spider, and discovered -- at least visually -- the same cramping of the peddals. So this leads me to pose two questions. First, does my concern ring true to anyone else with large feet -- I mean is this an issue? Second, would I be better advised to buy an F1, where there should be more space to rest a large, left foot since the clutch peddal would not be there.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, I've had another dream for years which is to own a pair of Italian shoes, but I've never found a pair anywhere to fit me (and I lived in Rome for a year).

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Cheers, Shawsan
    Vancouver, Canada

2. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    I have 13D feet and was able to drive a '97 355 without trouble. I'm also 6'4" and not slender by any stretch. Give it a try with good driving shoes and you should be fine. My biggest issue is usually having room for my foot on the gas pedal because the brake pedal is so close to the tunnel. There are several cars that make it difficult but, in general, the F1 offer a bit more foot room.

Larry

3. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I once sat in a Lambo Countach and once I put my foot on the accelerator, i noticed that my foot was sitting on the brake too, I wear a size 11, my feet arent THAT big but I was really surprised that my foot touched both, the accelerater was a lot longer then the brake though, so apparntly you just have to move you foot down when driving, it was pretty awkward when I was in there though, just sitting I could tell that the Countach is not easy to drive at all.

4. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm 6'6" and have 14W shoes. Try a 550! The pedals can be adjusted left and right.

Bill in San Diego
    1999 550 NART Blue / tan

5. 38 Off

38 Off Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Pace, FL
    Full Name:
    Phil Crain
    I went through the research on driving shoes, bought a couple pairs, but what works as good as anything is just take whatever shoes/sandels off that you might be wearing, put them in the passenger floor, and drive with bare feet or with socks. I also have a pair of moccasins that are just thin leather with no soles that work well. (special ordered them from a store that handles Minnetonka (spelling?). They just have a very thin foam pad inside.

6. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    LOL. I do this often. I will slip my shoes off and drive in sox. I gave a friend a ride and he had nowhere to put my shoes so they sat right next to him on the floor smelling up the car! (It was a long day and I had thin sox!)