Headlamp adjustment for Europe on LHD 355 Spider | FerrariChat

Headlamp adjustment for Europe on LHD 355 Spider

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dem, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    I'm off on a 3000 mile jaunt on 7th July through Switzerland and Italy (mainly to pick up as many mountain passes as possible!). When I did a European trip before in my Nissan 300ZX, I struggled to find an appropriate place for the headlamp deflector stickers. My LHD F355 is proving no easier! Before anyone states the obvious, I'm assuming that my 355 has had the headlamps re-orientated for RHD conditions in the UK (it also has MPH clocks from new apparently, so I guess it's been set up for the UK).

Anyone got any tips on where to put the headlamp deflectors on a LHD 355 as I can't see any markings / outline on the lenses.

Thanks!

Damian.

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    try and plan your route so you drive during the day then you wont have to bother????????

3. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The lights are the same as on the 348. You can switch the rear bulb casing at the rear of light so that you can drive on the LHD.

Basically the light can switch over from right to left with out any replacement parts. No need for the stickers on the lenses...

Its a 5 mintue job to switch it side.

4. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Thanks for the tips (especially the 'driving at night one!).

I'll check out the back of the headlamps and see if I can work out where this convenient "LHD to RHD" switch is.........!!!

Cheers,

Dem.

5. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    OK - I give up. How do you get the headlamps to pop up without them illuminating?

6. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    #6 GrahamS, Jul 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dem
    There's a black dial at the back of each headlamp which is there to crank the headlamps up manually when/if the motor fails.
    See attached image(dial marked "Q")
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Hi Graham!

Thanks for the advice. I wan't sure if it was a good idea or not to play with the manual lifters. Is there any specific 'tip' for making sure they are 'wound back down' to the correct level, or is it obvious (i.e. the adjusting knob becomes tight). I just don't want to break something which is working right now! 489 trouble free miles and counting................(other than the seat potentiometer!)

Thanks again!

Dem.

8. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    I'm afraid I can't help you with that one Dem. My knowledge of this subject extends only as far as scanning the owners manual!

Can't imagine how you'd do any damage as that's what they're there for and any final adjustments shouldn't be rocket science. The old fashioned "rack o' eye" technique is as good as any other.

You can be the guinea pig, once you've figured it out let us know how you get on cos we're all interested :)

Only 489 miles? Shame on you, I did a thousand in the first week!

9. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Ah yes - but in about 2 weeks time it will be 3,500 miles!!!!!!! New tyres please..........................

Thanks again , and I'll let you know what happens. If my technical skills let me down, I've already bought a set of headlamp beam deflectors, so I'll just stick them on and hope for the best!