Emissions nightmare.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Emissions nightmare....

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

You got me...I'll ask my Insurance guy. Because,If thats available. I want it!

(But,as you said, That still won't save your ass if you get sued,bigtime.)

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Well, I spoke too soon, just got my emmision testing form in the mail today for the 328. I know it will pass ok, just don't want those $5/hr. kids racing it on the dyno.... I will have to stop in the main office first and talk to the manager and see if he can do it with me in the passanger seat. I will explain to him that my insurance will not cover anyone under 35 and that i hope thier insurance will cover any damage done to my car.... Well, now i just have to get it back from Continental first.... :(

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Tod-

Go back and re-read my post.

If you want too, take it to the Palatine station and I'll go with you.

I'll get you through with an idle test only.

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Tod-
    the guy that drove mine did a good job, with me glaring at him from the passenger seat.
    It is a terrible thing to see.... I don't abuse her like that, why should someone else get to?

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

Tod,relax. I've taken my 308 through twice now.(Addison) Several Corvette's,too. They get Ferrari's,Lambo's,Porches,Vipers,'Vettes...you name it-in there EVERY DAY. They will let you sit in the Passenger seat. Mine (308) passed both times at just an idle test,so they didn't even have to shift the gears. And,I don't even think that they noticed my Colt Python sticking out of my belt.....:)

6. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    Aloha fellow ferrari guys and gals. I'm back, jet lag and all. got in this am at 5:30am. i am in my office without sleeping yet. JET LAG!!!!! i carry 250/500/100 limits. Plus a 1,000,000 umbrella. You do not have to be a millionaire to be sued like one but everybodies situation to risk mgt in our lives is different and needs to be evaluated on a individual bassis. If you want to reach me post a thread here and i will get in touch with you. i do not want to advertise my business and get in trouble but if i can give some professional advice to my fellow ferrari nuts i am available.

7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Wow, this thread had me dreading dragging my Euro P-car 928 into the test station. I put it off as long as I could (pink final notice form expires this month) & ran a tank spiked with Techron through the system.

Finally got off my duff & took the car out for a spirited drive this a.m., then pulled into the test station. They had some trouble entering the non-US vin (even with my printed out notice), but after that it was onto the treadmill like everyone else.

Guess I shouldn't have worried, it passed with flying colors!

HC max .407 result .026
    CO max 3.804 result .299

Wooo Hoooo!!

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    UPDATE:

so, she is at LFSC....
    the catalytic convertor (sp?) is shot, and going on a plane to California for a rebuild (apparently $750, versus new for $1800). They have sent many out there, they say, with very good results, for a lot less money. Then there is the labor...
    This is getting a bit pricey.... hope this is it for awhile!
    As usual, the guys at LFSC are being very good to me....
    they are going to take it to the emmissions nazis and get her tested, so I don't have to!

as a side comment... I'm on vacation, using dial-up...

SO............ SLOW..................................

9. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, i'm still waiting to get my car back from Continental so i can attack those Emmision Nazis. I'm affraid i'm going to have to leave my other arm at Continental after this A/C replacement they are doing... GULP....

When i had my car in for it's Major in Feburary, they checked the Emmision gasses and said it was good, so, i am not affraid of not passing the test, just going there....

10. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, i spoke too soon, took my car today and they tested it twice and it FAILED both times..... Well, my car is going back to continental on tuesday for it's 4th A/C compressor, i will just take the emmision results to them..

From what the emmision guy was saying, they have a new way of checking the system, they use Grams per Mile, to where the old system, like the one the dealer has uses Parts per million..... Hmmmm??????

I was nervious, but they let me sit in the passanger seat during the testing, a lot of good that did, now i will have to go back there again... HAH!

11. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Hey Tod: I was just looking at the Chicagoland Ferrari Calendar and I just noticed today was the anniversary of your car, so Happy Anniversary, and with all the bad luck you've had lately, at least you're driving it today! Have a great 4th!

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ah, shuks.

Mike, you continue to amaze me.

And happy anniversary to Tod and his amore nero.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Tod. Did you have them (Continental) hook the computers back up in your car? I recall you saying that when you had your 30K service,you had something unplugged to get a few more Prancing Horses out of your car. Did you remember to hook that back up before you took it in for testing?

14. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Thanks Michael... Yea, it's been a year and i already added 7k miles on the car.. But, this Nero car has a Nero cloud above it lately, hopefully it goes away soon....

15. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Yes, i thought about that after i left the emmisions place, i thought, maybe if i pull back around, plug that connector in and try it again??? HAH!! Well, the car is going back in tuesday, i'll ask Gary about that, i'm sure thats all it is....

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, it was time to have her tested and she failed: 2.3 HC instead of 2.0

Going to the shop on Monday. This is going to be costly...
    :(

PS: I applied for the showcar exception and was turned down because of my insurance policy. Life sucks.

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In my own experiences with other cars. Thats usually fixed with a new O2 Sensor...Worse,New Cats...:(

Did you have her warmed up really good? You gotta have your Cats really Hot to burn off any unburned Gases. They sell some stuff at Auto Parts stores that Guarantees that your car will pass Emissions. I never tried it,though....But,I think it stays in your Cats and helps them get Hotter. Thus burning off the Unburned Gases that an "Unhealthy" Cat won't. Has anyone else ever tried that stuff and had successful results?

You aren't off by very much...Just need alittle help. And,I recall Bill saying that putting Alcohol in your tank will help...How much? I don't know....Good Luck!

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I drove the car for half an hour, so should have been warmed up all right.
    No 308 car has 02 sensors, that would have been an easy fix.
    Getting new cats for two more inspections (before it reaches 25 years) sounds like financial overkill.
    Never heard of that stuff you mention, but it would sure be interesting to hear opinions about it.
    I could do the deal with alcohol, that's a plan B. Problem there is that you might damage the engine from running too lean and that your CO values suffer in consequence.
    And I'm not even sure whether I'm off by much or not. Yes it sounds like a small percentage of around 13% but I don't know whether these scales are linear, progressive or degressive. So we might be talking gigantic problems here or none whatsoever.
    Anyway I talked to my mechanic and he told me horror stories for an hour after which I left even more depressed than when I left Emissions.
    :(

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,I knew that 308's didn't have O2 sensors...I was just saying that it was the problem,that was fixed,in a couple of my (other) cars that I've owned. (relating to a "Simple Fix".) I guess that I've always been fortunate to have been able to Correct Emissions problems on my own.(Mostly on Chevy's.)

But,Cats are a more Expensive fix...But,that will definitely fix the Problem...(Relating to a less simple,more expensive Fix. Well,for a Ferrari,that is. Very inexpensive on "Regular Cars".)

Another alternative would be to "lean it out" just a little and see what happens. Then,put it back the way it was after the Test...(as long as you pass it...That is....)

Hydrocarbons being unburned Gas(es). Maybe a new set of Plugs could help,too...?

20. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I tried to use the showcar exemption form, and I had the proper showcar insurance, but the Downers Grove emissions location said it still had to be tested. Good luck!

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, so much for plan B.

Well, there is still plan C, D and E.

22. atheyg

atheyg Guest

High HC are a sign of unburnt fuel, you probably have a slight miss.

A plug change and clean your distributor caps for start, check for a bad plug extender or wires.

23. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    I've been using the showcar exemtion for years now and NEVER had trouble, when the state accepts your app for exemption you recieve a test number on the certificate and the next date the car is due to be tested, your plate # should not have been in the system for testing. Just got my AV plates so no more test notices for me.

24. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Andreas,

Whatever you wind up doing I hope it works out. Air Team kept on my case and threatened to issue a ticket or suspend my license despite the fact I kept filling out their form properly that the car in question was one of the cars I stored in Florida. My experiences, what I read about them, and now what you have gives me little faith in their operation despite their efforts in trying to do some sort of environmental work. Their cornering behavior seems like a headache that gives you little options other than opening up your wallet. Best of luck and I hope you get out of this hassle ok.

RocketBoy

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, it went to the shop this morning. Hopefully they can fix it on a budget.