Garage floor done | FerrariChat

Garage floor done

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chiaro_Slag, Jul 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #1 Chiaro_Slag, Jul 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Just lovely. A wonderful shrine to "all things mechanical"!

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i only lament that i've not yet finished the others... Please forgive me... i'll get them done... Your garage looks awesome... :)

4. plapham

plapham Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Very nice garage (and cars)! Just curious, what kind of tile is that? I like the black and white. Did you consider epoxy floor coating? Compare costs? I am currently building a 3 car garage and would appreciate your ideas.

5. Rick328GTS

Rick328GTS Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Jerry,

Looks great! What kind of tiles did you use? Can you tell me some info on your installation process? I am in the process of trying to figure out what to do in my garage so any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rick

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Looks great, I have wanting to do the same for my garage but just never gotton around to it. By the way, how will you be keeping it clean, and is it easier to care for than regular concret floors?

7. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Crawford set the tone for us when he did his floor in adhesive vinyl tiles. $0.30/ sq ft.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20065

I went to local Lowes and scoped out the following which is also on their Web.

Vinyl tile: $0.60 - $2.20 / sq ft
    I think painted floor need to be stripped to bare concrete, but I'm not sure. Any one else try adhesive tiles on paint?

Edge ceramic tile: $2.98 - $3.98 / sq ft. + $0.50 / sq ft for underlayment
    Appears easy to lay, no thinset needed.

Conventional ceramic tile: $1.27 - $3.88 / sq ft plus underlying thinset

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #8 Chiaro_Slag, Jul 4, 2004
    It is Vinyl tile from Home Depot. Crawford used the tile that doesn't require glue, while I went the glue route. IT does get dirty pretty easily. I mop it to keep it clean. Here are a few installation pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Nice work Jerry.

TTG

10. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I used similar tiles from lowes. After a while the heat from the tires would discolor them. I was also afraid that ceramic although would hold up under the tire heat and be more durable that it would crack if trying to jack up with a floor jack or if I had a lift sitting on them. I'm thinking of the epoxy.

11. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    #11 mikeyr, Jul 5, 2004
    A friend used tiles from a local hardware shop 2 years ago and they discolored under the tires and also had some peeling problems where solvents got in the edges of the tiles and they are slippery when wet. Because of that I looked at made for garage tiles and epoxy coatings. I went with Racedeck tiles and I am extremely very pleased with them. They have a diamond plate pattern which keeps them from being slippery when wet. They have held up very well, only problem is when welding or cutting steel, they are plastic tiles :) No I dont cut/weld on the Dino just the old British stuff. I went with all white under the lift for light reflection and a mixture of 12" B&W pattern and also 24" B&W pattern with some Red in there to spiff it up. Very happy with it and no glue so easy to put down.

12. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    How is it when rolling something heavy around on a jack over the diamond?

13. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    looks good! these projects are always fun.

14. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    Excellent garage looks great!!

I too hope to have mine looking like that one day (f-car included ;-) )

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nice Floor/Garage/Cars!!!

Time to add a lift, and stack those puppies up. MAke room for two more just like them.

Nice poster!!!!

How about maybe 2 dozen or so and you can wallpaper your bathroom with them, too.

Keep us posted on how the stuff on the floor lasts!

Dave

16. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Jerry,

The garage looks great! I ordered the yellow cover from the factory site also but it hasn't arrived yet. It looks awesome! :)

17. V-Viper

V-Viper Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    Brockton, MA
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Nice garages guys, the only thing missing from them is one of those all chrome racing jacks :D

18. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Very nice Jerry, I like the piece of steel on the floor, thats a nice touch!

19. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Hard to get started but rolls fine once moving. My tool chest is fine due to the larger casters but my engine stand with small casters and a motor on it is hard to start moving. One good point is that once you stop the item stays put.

Have not had a problem lifting the car onto a floor jack and moving it sideways, worked fine. The diamond are really not very tall, just enough to give some grip when you spill oil/water and keep it non-slippery.