if you can't afford it... render it? | FerrariChat

if you can't afford it... render it?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by dontmindme, Jul 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dontmindme

dontmindme Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Wichita Falls Tx
    Full Name:
    Robert
    this may or may not be my first post here, i tend to just lurk. however, i noticed threads with drawings or clay models of ferraris and thought "why not post a few renders i've done?" these were modeled in 3d studio max 6... sure would be nice to be able to click "print" and have an Enzo or F40 squeze out of my printer.. i've also done a 308, but dont have any standout renders of it..

2. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    Nice but make the lights stand out

3. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I take you did the modelling as well as the renders? Very good job, much better than the stuff I made with lightwave.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'd REALLY like to get the raw .3ds file of the 308. I've got a Gas Dynamics program where I can put the 3d model into a virtual wind-tunnel and look at air flow. It would be fun to see the flow around the Enzo body too.

Mike

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Enzo looks phenomenal. Love the color too. But, is it just me, or have you rendered it so that the wheels of the Enzo look a little chromed?

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    How exactly do you do that? I have AutoCad, can I make .3ds files or do I have to have some kinda of CGI program? I LOVE pictures of cars in wind tunnels and such!

7. dontmindme

dontmindme Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Wichita Falls Tx
    Full Name:
    Robert
    i didn't mean to make the wheels chromeish, it just came out that way and i wasn't in the mood for material tweaking..

mcharness, the mesh on the 308 is a bit inaccurate and sketchy because it was one of the first cars i made in max. if you still want it, pm me or something with the email address you want me to send it to.
    ignore the bad render and the wheels..

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    We can import many different 3D/mesh formats into our physics programs that do hydrodynamics flow (air/gas/fluids) in, over and around objects. Below is a simple snapshot of pressure flow around the space shuttle.

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is Enzo pic is damn good.
    Thanks for sharing.

10. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Nice job. It's a coincidence that you posted this now, as last year, we did a DVD for the Illinois FCA and did an F50 animation for the intro. This year, we are doing an Enzo, and just a few weeks ago we went out to get up close and personal with one, took measurements, got audio, and shot video footage with a high-definition camera rig. We've already started the modelling.

Does your model have a detailed interior and engine? We had intended on doing that as well. After the modeling is done, we take a 3DS Max file and bring it into a visual effects system called Flame, and do the animation and compositing there.

If you have done the interior and engine, I'd be interested in talking with you about using the model. I'd also like to get the 308 model you've done (yes, I own one and never made a 3D model of it - I guess you always want to create what you don't have!)

You can get my email address from my profile. Thanks!

11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Wow that is incredibly cool! Do you need a workhorse of a system to calculate that?

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It can be done on a PC, but it would take quite some time. We build our own custom Linux-based clusters using AMD 64-bit chips in quad-CPU boxes.

13. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Wow. Very nice job.

14. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Is the space shuttle in that simulation at 40 degrees nose up?

If it isn't, then I take it you're simulating a burn up on reentry?

Unless of course you're simulating atmospheric flight after reentry, when the nose angle is much less.

What's the story?

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I didn't personally run that particular simulation, so I don't know. You can't really tell the angle because of the view of the graphic snapshot. When we run the simulation models, we can rotate and view from any angle.