Access Question... | FerrariChat

Access Question...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Jul 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'm pretty sure the anyswer is going to be no, but its worth a try.

Is there any way to add a "structure" to an existing table? Well, i started my ferrari registry and have started 250's and other ones, including 275's. The 250 was my original table and so i just coppied the structure for the other cars. Well, i've been working on the 275's and changed around the fields a bit (most are the same, but they are in different places as they were before). What i'm asking is, can i take the structure of my 275 table, which i've made easier to understand and more logical and apply it to the DATA in my 250 table without loosing anything?

Sorry if its hard to understand

Thanks

Chris

2. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    I haven't played with Access for a while, but from memory it shouldn't be hard to do. My approach would be to take a copy of your 275 table and run an update query on your 250 data to populate the new table.

However, unless there are vast differences in the data recorded or displayed for the different models, I can't see any reason why you would need two seperate tables, one table for all cars with a field for model is what I would use. Of course this means that your data entry rules and queries need to take this field into account when selecting or editing data, but that's a small price to pay for the benefits of having all data in a common structure.

3. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks, i've done a table for each general type of car, like 250, 330, 275, f50, f40, enzo, etc etc.

Then made specific queries based on them, such as, 250GT0, SWB, LM, 275 Nart Spyder etc

Thanks, i'll give it a try

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    not exactly ideal in any way.

you should not be creating tables for each model. it should be a model is a table and the fields within that table are for that car. that car then is related to another item, like fluids, which is the same or similar to other models in another field.

however, it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish with this. the functionality of databases, even if small and personal, all come down to the amount of time you spent designing them.

5. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    whoa, go over that again

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    if you prefer, throw over what you have and I'll try to make a few suggestions from there. I'd like to see what you have, and it will give me an idea of what you are shooting for. sound ok?

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    no problem, i was going to ask if i could anyway. Thanks a lot