The monk who sold his Ferrari | FerrariChat

The monk who sold his Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by udalmia, Jul 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. udalmia

udalmia Guest

That's the title of a book I saw recently on a shelf, asked a friend about it and he said its about this dude who "finds himself" and rids himself of material things..

It just made me realise how big the Ferrari name is.. Though I dont like it being projected as a symbol of greed/materialism.

Thoughts?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    People have a warped sense that to be wealthy means you cant be spiritual.

Many wealthy people have founded religions like Prince Siddartha who became the Buddha.

Today the Dalai Lama is the King of Tibet in exile. He is worth hundreds of millions if not billions of $ and no one disputes his spirituality

A Monk has no use for a Ferrari but you dont have to give up material things to be enlightened, You have to give up your attachment & desire for them

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I think with all things that are relatively expensive (to a lowest common denominator. We all know in the scale of things a ferrari is a small small cost) - there is always an association of greed.

I don't think the association is particularly relevant to the good itself (in this case a car), but rather the ability to buy it based on success. With success comes envy, it seems. With envy comes hostility, and pejorative connotations.

--Dan

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I saw that book some months ago at my fathers house, hew wanted me to read it but I said not in this life time, I already have enough trouble figuring out how to take my Ferrari with me when I die. I know the title is symbolic and it trully shows that from all the material things men can own a Ferrari is pretty damn hard to let go.

I wanted to add that there is a monk in japan who owns and drives pretty often his Lamborghini Countach, so after all who are we to know if a monk needs a Lambo or Ferrari? Car people and as far as I can understand even the Pope should drive and own a Ferrari if he wants and to me it would make perfect timing.

5. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Very few consumer products generate true 'passion' among so many people - owners and non-owners alike - so it's a shame that they are just portrayed as symbols of vanity.

Let's say that the monk just switched one religion for another...

John

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    It's only $12.00. Buy it and read it. It is thought provoking, though a little preachy.

7. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    Better yet, borrow it and read it. Then you will own one less material thing!

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    lol! Borrow it and make 1000 copies and give them away!

that would be selfless... heck, throw 'em out the window like newspapers...from your Ferrari!

I have to go pack, for the Eye of the Needle now.....

9. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    I read the book about a year ago. its about an attorney that was really obsessed with attaining material goods. he had a heart attack and a change of his outlook on life. He found his pleasure in spirituality.

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Heck im keeping my Ferrari!
    Guess what my last name is.....

11. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003