Bosch Blue coil | FerrariChat

Bosch Blue coil

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by solly, Jul 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I am in the process of installing an optical ignition system in a '74 Dino 246 for greater reliability. Unfortunately the coil is a silver Crane Cams coil, and replaces the blue Bosch unit. While the ecu can be easily hidden the coil looks out of place.

What can I do to make the coil look stock? I could paint it, but it's an unusual gray-blue color and I can't find any Bosch decals on the Internet. Any ideas?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, the Bosch blue coil should be fine. When I had the Crane system installed in my 78 308 GTS, we replaced the stock Marelli coils with the Bosch blue coils and they worked great. Was the Bosch original oem to the 246? It would seem that it should be a Marelli...

3. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Dave-You are correct. OEM coil was a Marelli. someone replaced it with a Bosch along the way. I gues I could keep the bosch coil, but the Crane coil came with the optical system and is specifically matched to it for peak performance.

Have you had any problems with the Crane unit? One thing i am a little leery of is not having a backup ignition like the dinoplex had. But i was told by this mechanic that he had done hundreds of optical conversions and they were remarkably trouble free.

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I used the system on my 308 for almost three years before getting rid of the car, worked flawlessly. I have spoken to several others that have (or had) the system, and never had a problem. I have heard on the Ferrarilist of a couple people that had problems with the system, but I can't remember what they did not like about it, or had trouble with. I believe it was with the optical trigger wheel....it got out of synch or out of adjustment. My mechanic who did the installation had literally installed several dozen of them over the years (in various model Ferraris), and said they all worked great. He used various coils, and all seemed to work fine. In other words, I don't think the coil is that important to the overall performance, as long as it is working properly. I saw an install once with the oem Marelli coils and seemed to work without problems.

I certainly would not worry about the reliability. What could be worse than the stock Ferrari systems? ;)

5. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Thanks Dave. I'm going to miss that wonderful Dinoplex with the 3 backup coils.

6. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    The Bosch blue coil has an internal resistor, which helps prevent burning points. This coil was original on cars without a ballast resistor, i.e. NOT Ferraris.
    If you use this coil on a Ferrari with points, you will be getting maybe 5-6 volts to the coil windings, and it will run like crap, foul plugs etc.
    If you use this coil with an electronic ignition, you will still be cheating your spark plugs.
    If you insist on a Bosch coil, use the "Red" one. Any color of o.e. coil can be easily duplicated with trip to the hobby store, and the selection of model paints for $2.99.
    P.S. MSD coils are not as good as the Bosch red.

Jay

7. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Actually points, condenser, etc. have been removed to install optical ignition. I'm using the Crane Cams coil that came with the ignition, as it's matched to it by the factory. Problem is it is shiny chrome. What color were the original Marelli coils, and can anyone post a picture of what they look like? I would like to duplicate the look of the original coil.

The car has been running the blue Bosch coil ever since I bought it 3 years ago, so I wouldn't know if it was running well or not. Had plenty of power and was pretty smooth, but maybe it will be a lot better now.

8. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    The Marelli coils have a goldish/cad plated exterior finish on their cans.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

How interesting. I am running an MSD 6AL with MSD coil. Would the 'Bosch Red Coil' be better? If so, why?
    Many thanks
    rt

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jay,
    The Crane Cams XR700 REQUIRES ballast resistance. Thus there is no problem with using a Bosch blue coil. A Bosch red coil could be used, but then a ballast resistor must be added.

Here are the installation instructions for the XR700 and the XR3000 electronic ignitions (the XR300 does not require ballast resistance, thus the Bosch red coil would be appropriate).

http://dab7.cranecams.com/cranecams/PDf/90000700.pdf

I suppose this begs the question of which Crane system Solly is using on his Dino. I may be wrongly assuming the XR700, but that is by far, the most commonly one used on older points type Ferraris....