Tonight I pop the question!! | FerrariChat

Tonight I pop the question!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Nibblesworth, Jul 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I decided about a month ago to ask my lady to marry me, and tonight is the night, boys!

Not only will I ask her to marry me tonight, but I haven't seen her in 6 weeks. She was in London for five weeks on a theater tour, and a week before she returned, I left for DC for my internship. We've been talking like mad (my Cingular roll-over minutes are GONE), and have been looking very forward to seeing each other. She is flying out to DC tonight, and will spend the week with me.

Anyhow, I was originally going to pop the question at the top of the Lincoln Memorial. However, after further consideration, I have decided to do it on the western steps of the Capitol Building, facing the mall. Her plane lands @ 8:40pm, and I figure we can be in downtown DC by 10:30 or so. The city is beautiful at night, but I am a little worried about trash left over from the celebrations tonight.

Anyhow, wish me luck! The diamond I am giving her is a family jewel, nothing extravagant, but with a good amount of history behind it.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Rock on...! (pun intended) ;)

DL

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

No no no no no.....

There is always time to do this after a few years of marrage. Other wise, it is hers. Of course, you could film giving it to her and make sure she says that if anything happens, you get the ring back.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Don't listen to the cynic ;-) ...go for it and good luck .

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Awesome!

Congratulations Nibbles.

And BTW, I also used inherited stones on the ring. This is not a situation where you should be planning for divorce scenarios!

Post a pic!

6. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    If I can get my hands on a digital camera (I hope she brings ous to DC) I'll post one.

Again, it's nothing fantastic, but it's a fairly good quality diamond and a great setting.

7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Is a must to plan the divorce before you get married, a lot easier to plan it before you hate each other. I did a prenuptial but they are actually called an antenuptial in legal terms. I guess the "ante" makes it sound too much like you are against marriage

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I understand cases where [once bitten, twice shy] older people might want them for a 2nd or 3rd marriage, but unless there's a sizeable trust fund lurking in the background a pre-nup between two college students with little to no assets is overkill. Property they have after any time at all is likely to have been earned together.

Then again, I'm of the old school that says if you have a prenup then there isn't enough trust for marriage.

9. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    If we get divorced without a pre-nup, she'll get half of my Omega Seamaster GMT and half of my 2 year old laptop.

Her family's got a tiny bit of cash, more than I have, so until I'm fabulously wealthy, I guess it's she that needs to worry about the pre-nup. LOL

I'm not naive enough to not consider that a divorce may happen; I am as confident as a man can be about this gal, though. I'm a bit older, she's a bit older, we've been together for almost three years, we love each other deeply, etc etc.

If I were unsure, I'd plan for a pre-nup. I'm not unsure, however, and if turds hit spinning blades in the future, well, that's just the way life deals it out.

Ryan - I may be looking for law student/husband advice in the future! Thanks for your kind words.....

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Way to go! On the 4th of July no less! Major congrats.

Dale

11. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    So what happened??

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Good question.......

I was thinking of seeing if a couple of fchaters wanted to go down and and seranade these two with Ferrari sounds but the weather was bad earlier in the day and my flight was held up. We sat on the tarmac for over an hour waiting for IAD to open back up and give us a slot. Then when we got in the air we ended up circling for another 45 min before coming in. My understanding was that all three airports in the area were closed for awile due to weather. By the time I got home it was too late to even think about it.

13. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    She said yes!

The night didn't go as planned, but it turned out well. Initially, I planned to ask her on the steps of the Captiol building. Her flight was about 20 minutes late, but that didn't seem like much of a problem. It may have been due to the weather - I dunno.

Anyhow, we got on the metro in Falls Church at around 10:30pm, and I thought we had plenty of time. The metro ride is usually about 30-35 minutes, and I thought we could make it to the Capitol by 11, giving me about 40 minutes to walk to the captiol and propose before metro service ended.

Well, we SAT in the metro tunnel for about 30 minutes while all hell broke loose as the hundreds of thousands of visitors overloaded the system.

By 11:00, we were far from the Capitol South metro station, but were very close the the Federal Triangle. I wanted to propose on the 4th, so I wasn't ready to resign in try the next day. I told her we were exiting at Federal Triangle, because I wanted to show her something. Now, I've never been anywhere near the federal triangle exit, so I had no idea what was out there, and where I would propose. Luckily for me, the Ronal Reagan building surrounds the metro station, and my lady's favorite prsident just happens to be Mr. Reagan.

Long story short - I proposed, surprised the hell out of here, and she said yes. I told her I wanted to do it at the capitol, but she said she really thought the Reagan building was better and more special.

Turned out well. I'm happy, she's happy, and she loves the ring.

Thanks for all the good wishes, F-chatters!

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Congratulations!

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You know Nibbles, you and I have exchanged words, I hope with no ill will, all said and done....

Congrats, my man!

Best wishes for you and yours.
    All the best, in future years!

A good marriage is a lot of work, but no more so than the relationship on which it is based. Good Luck!

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Best of luck to you! I know some people who went to marriage counseling before the wedding, so that may be a suggestion worth looking into.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Congrats! Wifes are cheaper than girlfriends and prostitutes. :)

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Not an ex-wife! So keep her happy.......

19. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Unless one of the parents happens to not want to bequeath his estate to both in case they do get divorced. So they have a prenup that anything the parents of the groom bequeath to the groom is his and what her parents bequeath to her is hers.

Anyhow, give her the ring, no one asks a woman to marry him and worries about the ring. If she says no, she will give it back to you. I doubt she will.

Good luck and congratulations.

20. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Rob, I sincerely doubt that. :)

21. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nibbles,

Congrats man! I know this will be a hectic time for you with the LSAT and applying for law school. I wish you nothing but luck.

As far as asking Ryan A. for advice, be aware, everything comes easy to him, so take that into caution. :D He's got a hot wife, top of his class, goes to top school, so he doesn't give good advice to us commoners. :)

Lastly, weather you have anything or not, prenup imo is a good idea. During your marriage you can keep all separate. Diff accounts, diff investments, house in your name and so on and so on. There are many ways to protect yourself. Don't let love get in the way of financial independence. I disagree with Ryan A. about the prenup thing. You won't know what will happen to your financial future, and it is best to protect yourself.

Good luck with her, and hope all is well. :)

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rob used the high priced ones! :)

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I was worried until I saw Cowboy Ronnie was da man. You've got a keeper!

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, Bill... All of our bickering aside, good luck and congratulations...!

25. 194kw

194kw Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Bill, congrats man, congrats! We had a 4th-o-July party and wondered about what took place. See you when you get back....I need to put you to work.