Bumper Painting | FerrariChat

Bumper Painting

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sjtom, Jul 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm trying to gather information about painting the black rubber bumpers (Mondial 8) body color. Is this as simple as painting the present flexible bumpers? My concern is adhesion, I imagine that paint is flexible enough to survive minor bumps, but would that cause flaking? Is there any "best" paint or prep methods? Anyone do this? Thanks in advance!

Tom

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    When painting modern ABS bumpers, a 'flex' additive is added to the paint so it stays flexible & won't chip.

Key question is how well will paint adhere to rubber?
    I don't know, only 'paint' on rubber I know of is 'tire paint'.

I recommend contacting to DuPont or one of the other major paint mfgs & asking them.

Here's a place to start:

http://www.automotive.dupont.com/servlet/AutomotiveGateway

You may have to register to contact them.

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I wouldn't paint those rubber bumpers on a bet. Almost assuredly, no matter what paint you use, it is unlikely that it will adhere to the rubber properly. OK, maybe best case you achieve adherence for 95 percent of it, but what about that other 5 percent that looks like a homemade bar of soap?

Besides all of that, those bumpers protrude from the car body a great deal. The black color de-emphasises the eyesore the best, which is why they didn't color them red at the factory. If you painted them the car body color, they are going to stand out like a sore thumb. LOOK AT MY HUGE BUMPERS!!!

4. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    An earlier owner of my car painted the bumpers to match the body color and I have to say that how ever they did it, they did a very nice job. I have had the car 4 years and they have yet to show any signs of cracking or chipping. The finish is very nice and uniform all over. I don't think that they stand out @ all, in fact I feel that they hide a bit better than the black ones that I have seen on cars of the same color. Here are a few photos of the car, front and rear.

Chris

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    GOSH WHAT'S THAT FERRARI DOING IN THE RAIN!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

6. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom