Brain Teaser #10 (Oh God, it's double-Digits!) | FerrariChat

Brain Teaser #10 (Oh God, it's double-Digits!)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jul 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    You are given 9 coins. One of the coins is bogus. It is just slightly lighter in weight than the other coins. You must find which coin is fake using only a balance scales. The scales can only be used for comparing the weight of coins on one side of the scales with an equal number of coins on the other side of the scales. What is the least number of times you can use the scales and still be sure of finding which coin is fake?

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    2 times.

Now that there are other answers, I'll elaborate.

3 stacks of 3 coins. Weigh 2 of the stacks. If they balance, the light coin is in the 3rd stack, otherwise you'll know which stack contains the light coin by the scales.

3 single coins. Weigh 2 of them. If they balance, the light coin is not on the scale, otherwise the scale will tell you which coin is lighter.

3. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Twice. I'd explain further, but work prevents me at the moment, so you'll have to wait until 1pm-ish :)

-DC

P.S. Argh!

4. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    I agree. 2 times.

Weight 3 versus 3 at first.

Take whatever group has the odd weight (the unweighed group if it's even on the scales).

Then scale one versus one.

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Correct:

Two times. First put any 3 coins on one side of the scales and any 3 coins on the other side. If the scales balance, the light coin is one of the remaining three. If one side of the scales rises, the light coin is one on that side of the scales. You now know which group of three coins contains the fake. Choose any two coins from that group and place one on each side of the scales. If the scales balance, the light coin is the remaining one. Otherwise it is the coin of the side of the scales that rises.