the scag wins car and driver comparison test | FerrariChat

the scag wins car and driver comparison test

Discussion in '360/430' started by scycle2020, Jul 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the scag finished 1st inthe c and d comparo test vs bentley,mb cl600 and am db9......the am had quality control issues and poor workmanship-theres a real shocker from an english car-...the bentley was too fat- over 5000lbs!!!...the mb came in at a sevelt 4500+ lbs but was the best bang for the buck, even though you will see cars that look like yours every 30seconds on the road...peoples thoughts and insights please

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

FWIW....."CL600's" are not driving down the road 30 seconds apart. Far from it in fact.....

3. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I got that issue yesterday, along with evo and Cavallino. Life is good...

As for the results, I expected it to go:

1st: Aston
    2nd: Ferrari
    3rd: Benz
    4th: Bentley

Id take the Aston over all of them, but the CL600 is pretty close, too. The CL65 would have won outright, but C/D could not get a car.

4. Art

Art Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Southern California
    I think he meant how the CL looks a lot like most other MB's.

I would have expected the 612 to win since it probably has more driver involvement than all the other cars in the group.

The CL600 is great though, so much power and it's so easy to get more.

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks art.... i said "looks like your car" ,and frankly, many of the current mb look very similar, esp from the front view....mb is the problably the most common car you see in my area that i live..ferraris and ams and bentleys are far more rare..a cl 600 will not turn any heads

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Since I live near you, I can vouch for that. Since we have one of the countries leading benz dealers up the street it seems like they are everywhere. It is nice to see something different every now and then. I wouldn't mind an sl55 but it is in the same boat. Not too visually different than an sl which are a dime a dozen around here.

7. Silver99

Silver99 Rookie
    BANNED

May 22, 2004
    Syc come on man, just because you raced to the mail box, raced through the issue, and then raced to your computer to somehow win the "I can post information faster than anyone else" contest, doesn't mean you should.

Maybe in the future just a "spoiler" warning or something of the like for us slow bastards on the West Coast who wish to read the piece for ourselves thanks. :)

8. sk90077

sk90077 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2004
    I see 600s every 10 sec. I dont like the Bentley that much and a novice will surely think the Aston is a Jag. Ill take a 612 over all of them any day

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    sorry silver, i got excited and rushed to the computer..quilty as charged... i beg for leniancy..just wanted everyones opinion...its great having so many people in to cars with so much knowldge and insight to learn from....i await your input once you have read the artical

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The suspense isn't in who won but how they got there. Don't you flick through to see who won and THEN read the article? Am I the only one that does that?

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Nope. I hardly ever even read the article ... same old dribble.

I just skip read and pick out what is interesting. If it really mattered I'd be booking a road test not relying on some magazine journalist, whose driving ability is debatable, etc.

After all we all know journalist have no integrity and IMO are placed lower in the rank than a used car salesman. Who else do you know who happily spreads lies about wars, innocent people, etc. just to get a great story on the front page?. Have you noticed that the TV news shows struggle to talk about anything and seem to get real excited when some disaster or war is on ... pathetic way to live ones life. I bet they all had wonderful idealistic ideas when they were young and started out, only to be suckered into the BS ... and money.

Pete's opinion is worth more to Pete than some buyable Journo, thinking he is living the high life by being able to road test a few posh cars ;)

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Pete, I agree, most of the reviews are crap and not helpful. The worst reviews of all are definitely the ones that end, "At this level, picking the best car of these is impossible. They are all great and we would love to own any of them." Please.

13. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Unlike F1, how Ferrari won is much more important than the fact of victory. Why did C/D choose the 612? What did they say about the experience, undeniably distinct, of the others?

I plan to own one regardless of any one or two day test by a hack, but it is insightful to see these early impressions.

Forza,

Cavallini

14. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    As a one-time reporter for the NY Post, I can say "true" to all of the above. However, it was through the "hacks" that I saw and wrote a story about one of the first F50s in the US. This story awakened the literary artist in me and eventually led to my forthcoming novel.

Sometimes the glorified gossips are useful.

Forza,

Cavallini

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wow, impressed. I have always wanted to write a book, not a novel but a engineering view of the history of motor sport, maybe a study of the ground breaking engineers, the cars and their thinking.

One day maybe ... But anyway back to you, congrats on your novel and when it is published please PM me the name and I'll give it a read :)

Pete

16. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Do it. It's challenging but all the more rewarding because of the challenge. I'll keep you posted. Only a few months now, after five years.

Forza,

Cavallini

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    car and driver mag has generally been right on the money with their car reviews, esp from a performance car point of view , over the years.... this is from me having read many reviews and then test driven the same cars.... most of their writers and editors have been around cars and driving cars for many years and i generally respect their opinions...to commend all journalists is a bit too cynical for me!!!!

18. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Laurence Pomeroy's 2 volumes of "The Grand Prix Car", and L.J.K. Setright's "The Grand Prix Car" follow on book. Also read Setright's "The Designers".

The four best books ever written on racing car design and engineering up through 1967 or so.

19. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    That's the standard Road and Track line. Car and Driver tends to be more opinionated. They pick a winner in the comparison tests and tell you why.

20. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I don't have the article in front on me, but from what I recall they picked the 612 because it was the most viceral. They said the steering is perfect, and it is actually light for the company it had in this test. Only things that kept it short of perfection in their eyes were the styling both inside and out. Personally I think the interior is beautiful on the 612, and as for the exterior, it is amazing how well the car hides it size-- they actually comment that it's longer than a Mercedes E500!!

I'm pleased to see the 612 get the respect it deserves, especially considering the beating it generally takes around here, which I will NEVER understand.

As for the CL65 winning the test had it been there, I'm not so sure about that. The CL600 already has ample power but looses out in no small part because of the isolated driving experience. Judging by the AMG E and SL cars, I doubt the CL65 is any more of a drivers car than the 600; it's a really comfy muscle car.

The car that won this test did so based on being a brilliant all around car. One trick ponies, no matter how good they are at that trick, will have a tough time beating that.

21. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Many thanks. This agrees with the reviews in CAR and EVO. They were both astonished by its all-around excellence. As for the styling, it seems to be very angke sensitive in photos. With the right color and wheels, it will be stunning.

Forza,

Cavallini