355: Best Dry Weather Tires? | FerrariChat

355: Best Dry Weather Tires?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jbuffa, Jul 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jbuffa

Jbuffa Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Joseph Buffa
    I am replacing tires on a 95 355. I wanted to go with a DOT approved Comp tire like Pirelli Corsa, but can't find the correct rear tire size 265 or 275/40. So I was wondering if anyone had BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD's on their car. It seems from what I've read that these would give the maximum dry grip. Tread wear and wet weather handling are not priorities. The sizes are 225/40 18 front and 275/40 18 rear.

2. GTRPower

GTRPower Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I run different sizes... 255/35R18 front and 295/35R18 rear. Tire diameters are the same as stock, mounted on Speedline Challenge wheels.

The tire I use is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I've looked high and low and have not found a good R compound tire in the right sizes that have reasonable treadwear- so the PS2 is the tire for me. On my other Challenge wheels I use slicks for the track.

Keep in mind a DOT-R compound is like any other race tire- it doesn't get good traction until it gets some heat in- which means, on the street, it virtually never gets to operating temps...

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Take a quick search from the above search bar - about 1 month or so ago we had a huge conversation about tire sizes and brands - seach for 355 tire and you will see it out there...

I asked the same question for my Spider - the reason I mention the search.

Rich

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Can you use these tires on stock wheels? I've been waiting for the PS2 to come in stock size because I didn't want to screw up handling.

5. GTRPower

GTRPower Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Challenge wheels are the same size as stock-18x8 front, 18x10 rear.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I like Yokohomas and Kuhmos.

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I can't comment on sizes/availability but would add to what others have said with some data.

On my 308 I had three track days and about 400 street miles from my Kumho Victoracers (V700) before they were done.

I know run Yoko A032R. I am about 6 or 7 track days on the rears with 50 street miles. They are holding up well (I had to replace the fronts as they were sliced by the fender lips).

You do need to get them heated up before they work well when they are sticky to the touch.

I think they'd be a poor investment for the street.
    Philip