Removing door sill plates on a 348 | FerrariChat

Removing door sill plates on a 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MILotus, Jul 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MILotus

MILotus Karting

May 20, 2004
    Lansing, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    How does the door sill plate come off on the 348? I see the screws next to the door seal but are there more? I have a little bit of rust starting around the screw holes and want to fix it up before it is an issue.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Remove the screws and PULL. My sill plates were held together by very very very sticky automotive tape, and I did pretty major destruction to the old sill plates when I removed them.

The new carbon fiber ones (from Andre at Kaz) are just outstanding.

-Daniel

3. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    The 3 or four small screws are about 1cm long. They just screw into plastic or metal clips beneath the steel plate. Pull the plate out and up then. Some sills have a strip of double stick tape inder the mid part (easy to replace). Thats all there is.I replaced them with SS painted flat black. or you can parkerize some screws as well.

I replaced the sills with Valance carbon with the tray for the Rubber Ferrari sill. The Trays are slightly shorter than te rubber so use spray glue, line it up centered and place carefully. Rge Valanec sills need double stick of the outboard edge and they DO NOT wrap over the outboard lip as they do with the steel originals. Therefore, the exterior sill seals will show a little bit (ok on a dark car, on white it shows well) after you are done.

The back edge rubber gasket needs to be adjusted for a good fit, use automotibe seal adhesive which allows for adjustment and cleans up.

NOTE sealents and spray moulding glues will strip the finish from the Carbon panels so tape edges.

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

My experience with the Kaz fiber plates was identical -- except mine do have the small lip that goes over the edge. No paint needed anywhere; my rubber Ferrari panels were sprayglued into the Kaz recessed areas. They didn't line up perfectly so I also used 3M Automotive Grade tape for adhesion. (mine came from Andre Pouliot -- [email protected])

-Daniel

5. MILotus

MILotus Karting

May 20, 2004
    Lansing, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    So, do these carbon fiber pieces replace the metal that is starting to rust? You don't happen to have a photo, do you?
    Thanks
    Matt

6. MILotus

MILotus Karting

May 20, 2004
    Lansing, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    never mind... I found it. I am starting to use the search function more and more :)
    Those look amazing! Will be doing this instead of painting the old ones for sure!
    Matt

7. william Heung

william Heung Rookie

Dec 4, 2003
    The material used for the original sill don't last very long on the 348 and the 355 before rusting. What I'm afraid of is, if the rust start from undernite and by the time it rust through, it could also damaged the body below the sill. I

I have got a local shop to made mine out of Stainless steel with acid aching the word Ferrari on it. Turnout extremly well on the 348. I have since sold my 348 and replace it with a 355 Spider. The first thing I did was again replace it with Stainless steel Sill. It cost me about USD380/pair locally. I try enclosing a picture with this mail without success.

8. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Can you email me a picture directly?

Thanks

9. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Ken - are you referring to me?

10. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I was actually wanting to see the stainless ones William Heung is talking about, thanks. Daniel how do you like your? I really need to break down and just buy some.

11. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I love the carbon fiber ones. I'm sure they'll scratch eventually (I was going to put some Griot's scuff tape on them for protection), but they look terrific on the car. My "Ferrari" rubber script fit fine, and it actually seems to update the cars look a bit.

-Daniel