A battle with Ferrari of Ontario. | FerrariChat

A battle with Ferrari of Ontario.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tbakowsky, Jul 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

I called FoO about 3 weeks ago regarding a customers 97 355. His car had blowen an exhaust manifold. I spoke to the service writer and he said that Ferrari was no longer covering the manifolds. I then explained to him that it is stated right in the owners warrenty booklet that the manifolds are covered under the 8 year federal emissions law. He then tries to tell me that this was a misprint and Ferrari does not have to cover it. I hung up the phone in disgust.

I contacted the owner and explained the stitiation. He told me to sit tight with the car until he spoke to his lawyer. The lawyer contacted FoO and asked for a full explination as to the reasoning behined why they would not cover the manifold even though by law they are required to. The service writer explained to the Lawyer that he could only do as he was directed by Ferrari, and Ferrari is not covering them.

The Lawyer got on the phone with FNA. 2 days later an appointment was made at the dealer. The car was brought in and both manifolds were replaced. The customer calls the dealer today and asks if the car is ready. The dealer says yes, but there is a sight problem. We have not recived autherization from Ferrari to replace the manifolds So if you would like you could write us a check for the amount due, and once we recive the authorization we will refund your money.

Needless to say the owner of the car lost it. The dealer supposadly without authorization form Ferrari put the manifolds on the car. Now the customer wants to pick up his car..they say he has to pay or wait, or put the old ones back on, and forget the entire incident.

What the hell kind of treatment is this? Have any of you run into a problem like this that can suggest away to fight it?

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Wow......that's UNREAL!!!!

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Tom -

In no way does it dismiss the horrible service from FoO, but if the owner actually paid for the service, instead of FNA, what's the retail price he/she must cough up? Did FoO at least offer to cover the parts, if the owner paid for labor (or vice versa)?

-Daniel

4. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's unbelievable. Please keep us posted.

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    An obvious answer would be to break some legs!!!

But seriously, if the lawyer was able to get his customer an appointment that quickly by dealing directly with FNA, he should be able to once more go to FNA to straighten this latest snag.

Keep in mind that R.F. is one of the lumbering dinosaurs of the Ferrari world. And if he pulls sh*t like this, FNA can only do so much to cover him. Hey, things like this eventually caught up to Luigi in Montreal, and he got his butt kicked by FNA.

I don't know if things like this are chronic at FoO. If they begin to be, heads are going to roll.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

If the owner had to pay it will cost in the aera of 15k canadian. This includes both our GST and PST taxes. The owner of the car offered to pay for the labor but I don't think anything came of that. Ferrari Of Ontario is kowen here in the Toronto aera for being less then hounest. They charge $3500 for a 348 waterpump, and $1500 for a 308/328 pump. I just price and exhaust gas temp ecu for a TR and they wanted $4000 dollars for it!! They go for around 640 U.S.!!

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Slimy. What was the upshot of the conversation with the attorney and FNA? Did they agree to cover it and hence the appointment 2 days later? And, did the attorney write down the person who he talked to? Seems like the conversation should be with FNA and the fact that they agreed to cover it. Good luck. Otherwise take legal action.......

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Several years ago I called FNA about an item AFTER I had already had it replaced at a local independent shop. This was for a 14-year-old 308QV at the time, but I considered it a factory/design defect safety item. After some discussion, they agreed, and sent me a check for the full amount I had paid the repair shop for both parts and labor, almost $2000. They treated me very professionally and stood behind their product! I'll never forget it.

9. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I've dealt with those guys, and I can't say I'm surprised by what your customer is going through. Sorry to hear that he has to endure this.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    From what I understand yes the customer was told they would cover it. Now for some reason they (the dealer) don't want to release the car. I just don't understand this. The dealer will get their money and the customer will get his car. Why on earth is this such a big deal? Why would the dealer have a problem doing this? It's not like they are going to lose money. As a matter of fact if this does not go through, they will lose money, becuase they had to pay a tech to remove and install the manifolds, now they will have to pay again to remove the new ones and reinstall the old ones. I know for a fact the owner of the car would rather set fire to it then have to pay them for their mistakes.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Maybe the dealer is trying to double end the deal. All the more reason to just deal with FNA and get it handled.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It always helps to get some buzz going on the web.

Who is FoO? Anyone want to post some names, phone numbers, email address?

I always like to let the guys know that this could get ugly fast with 10,000 eyeballs watching on the web to see what happens next.

The dealer is not the big guy anymore... pushing around just one customer at a time.
    Things now-a-days happen out in the open for the entire world to see.

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Well said.

14. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    nothing new really. the clutch on my 355F1 had to replaced after 2500KM (1500 miles). they would not cover it under warranty and said i must have been too hard on it. total bill $5000

brutal

15. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    nothing new really. the clutch on my 355F1 had to replaced after 2500KM (1500 miles). they would not cover it under warranty and said i must have been too hard on it. total bill $5000

brutal

16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It would have been interesting to have gotten a second opinion before dishing out that coin............

17. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    www.ferrariofontario.com

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks.... looks like a great web site. Must be a proud dealership.
    I'm sure these men will do the right thing and solve this problem.

Ferrari Maserati of Ontario
    5243 Steeles Avenue West.
    Toronto, Ontario Canada. M9L 2W2

T. (416) 749-5325
    F. (416) 749-7675
    Toll Free 1-888-749-5325
    Ferrari Maserati of Toronto
    101 Avenue Road.
    Toronto, Ontario Canada. M5R 2G3

T. (416) 962-5325
    F. (416) 962-5704

President
    Remo Ferri

Sales
    General Sales Manager
    Paul Lazzari

Ferrari Maserati of Ontario
    Paul Lazzari
    Marco Pettinella

Ferrari Maserati of Toronto
    Bill Brack
    Giuseppe Porretta

Parts & Accessories
    Peter Micieli
    Parts & Accessories Manager

Fadi Owies
    Customer Service

Service
    David Webb
    Director of Service

Chris White & Mike Shaw
    Service Advisor(s)

Marketing
    Robert Vacca
    Director of Marketing

19. Rennphile

Rennphile Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Colorado
    Tom, I don’t know if this helps, but I've dealt with this nonsense before with my former '97 355. In my experience, it's FNA that's the real skunk in the woodpile.

The salient facts of my story are as follows:

1. My car was in for a major service last year at a very reputable independent mechanic and former factory trained tech, Dave Helms, with 21,000 miles. My trouble began with the discovery of the other dreaded 355 weak point: premature wear of the valve guides. You can read more about it here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/256560.html.

To further compound my misery, sure enough I have a bad header as well. (Both headers had previously cracked at 15K miles. At that time the right side was replaced under warranty without any problems at Ferrari of San Francisco. The left side was deemed repairable and was welded. Sure enough, it’s the left side header that’s gone bad again.)

2. Now living in Colorado, I approach Ferrari of Denver to see about making a warranty claim for my left side header under the Federal emissions warranty that applies to all new cars sold in the U.S. FoD checks with the regional FNA rep and sure enough, claim denied.

3. I approach FNA directly. I had previously appealed to FNA for help with my worn valve guides with limited success (but with a newfound appreciation for the contempt FNA regards its customers), but my regional FNA rep changed his mind and actually agreed to cover the header.

4. After Dave puts my car back together, it is trucked to FoD to have the header replaced. Once the car arrives, FoD calls me to say that the same FNA rep has changed his mind again and will not approve the replacement of the header under warranty. I had actually anticipated there would be further trouble and had taken care to record all of my phone conversations with FNA. I asked FoD to advise FNA of this fact. Within minutes, FoD calls back to say that the rep at FNA has indeed agreed to warranty the header. However, he apparently instructed FoD to advise me that FNA is under no obligation to cover the header and that I should consider this a one-time goodwill gesture only. Further, there would be no warranty coverage for labor involved in changing out the header (~$600). Feeling somewhat defeated at this point, I accepted this gracious offer.

I know many owners on this board have been taken care of by FNA and their local dealers. I just wish I were one of them.

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    HEY FNA......... LISTEN UP..... YOU KEEP PISSING ALL OVER PEOPLE, AND THOSE OF US THAT MAKE UP YOUR NEXT GENERATION OF NEW FERRARI BUYERS ARE GOING TO BUY SOMETHING ELSE. after what happened to BrianCStradale and others with these newer ferraris, my money is staying with the old carb cars. Lamborghini seems to me making nice cars again too. maybe i am setting my goals for a new ferrari in the next 3 to 5 years on the wrong car. i hope those stuck up old farts pulling the strings realize the power of the internet and the fact that much of the new generation would rather have a toyota than a ferrari. idiots like me that still love ferrari have to keep reading about folks getting reemed with the newer cars. gee where shall i invest my future money?

21. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    would someone please point me to the threads that describe brian's and others problems referred to?? TIA

22. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Excellent post. I second this.

I used to drive a 360 and I drive a Lambo now. Not to add fuel to the fire, but customer service with Lambo has been ten times better than Ferrari (and that is putting it conservatively). I would love to own a Ferrari again, but there isn't a good enough reason for me to buy one. Ferrari used to be able to get away with this type of BS because their products were far more desirable than any other manufacturer. Now that has changed, and it is exposing their weaknesses. With so many options coming out from other manufacturers, Ferrari better wise-up fast. If the service sucks and product is inferior, it's a no-brainer to me -- I'll buy the competitors product.

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    There are a bunch of well known, high profile Ferrari people in Dallas that are now driving Lambo's. I wonder why?

24. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

25. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Hello Tom,
    In your post you say the lawyer talked with FNA and an appointment was made, was there no authorization at this point or was it to evaluate?

I am curious what was on the svc. order, wouldn't the owner have to sign it
    authorizing the work?
    It seems to me the dealer would want this spelled out to protect themselves
    from a situation like this.