Converting DVD region 2 to 1? | FerrariChat

Converting DVD region 2 to 1?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by matterhorn762, Jul 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    So I just got some DVDs from Europe that are unavailable in the U.S (region 1). I knew my DVD player wouldn't be able to read them, but I assumed my computer (InterVideo WinVid) could. But all that anticipation culminated in a "cannot read" error.

Anybody know of a software that can read and preferably convert these DVDs to something I can watch?

Thanks.

2. matterhorn762

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Never mind.. I found the answer. I downloaded a "DVD region free" software. I'm now in the process of copying the DVD and seeing if I can also convert it from PAL to NSTC so I can also watch it on my TV. If not, at least I can watch it on my computer.

3. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    doa google search and you will find a few sites with all the info you need

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Also what type of computer do you use?

5. matterhorn762

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    I'm running a Pentium 4 PC with all the bells and whistles.

Alas, I don't think the NSTC to PAL conversion is worth my time. After downloading a dozen different shareware programs, I haven't found one that actually does what it's suppose to, even on a trial basis.

This is good enough for now though.

6. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Should buy Mac! Their lap top will let you change region code for few times. I have one for the US, and another for Japanese DVD.

The cheapest way to watch quality DVD is to buy a portable DVD from whatever the region you want. It's much easier to use it w/ existing sound system & big screen, too.

7. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    You could just buy an all region DVD player. I bought one that was a SONY all region DVD player from Frankfurt Airport Duty Free for about $120 a year ago. They also had a box set of 5 DVDs free with the player.

I wish they would sell all region DVD players openly here in the States too.

8. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Yes, you are right! I forgot about all region DVD. That's what I planned to buy the next time I go to Japan. You did pretty good in price though. I read those magazines, and they are retailed for about $300! There must be some difference.

9. matterhorn762

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    What about the PAL vs NTSC issue? I thought American televisions couldn't display PAL because the number of lines on the screen in Europe is different?

10. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Well, I am not sure what DVD player you have. But my DVD players are PAL and NTSC compatible. Which means that regardless of what the DVD is encoded in the signal sent to the TV is what the TV's specifications are. Also I believe that all TVs in the US are now PAL/ NTSC dual compatible. Not sure if I helped at all. Sorry!

11. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    as said before you could try and buy a NTSC/PAL dvd player if your are not a High end fanatic you can find them real cheap... I've seen them from 39$-100$. Also converting dvd's on the computer doesnt guarantee you that your dvd player will read them, sometimes the dvd players are picky about the discs.