328 Not Started in 6 Years! | FerrariChat

328 Not Started in 6 Years!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bobdelaf, Jul 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobdelaf

Bobdelaf Rookie

May 8, 2004
    My father has a 1986 328 that hasn't been started in six years. He is in the Chicago area. Does anyone know what the best way is to get the car running again and how much it should cost?

2. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Hi there and welcome,

Search the archives - lots of info on what to do.

3. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    With no history on the car to evaluate, it is impossible to tell what it might need to "get the car running again."

When did your Father get the car?
    What is the mileage on the car?
    What is the service history of the car?
    Why was it not started for six years?

The cost of starting the engine could be as little as $500.00 or as much as $8,000 according to who is doing what to get it started.

The more the members know about the condition of the vehicle, the more likely the members might be able to answer your question.

If the car was stationary for 6 years because of a mechanical problem this would be different than one that was stationary for 6 years due to the owners illness just after the vehicle had a 60K mile service.

If you have any history on the car and the reason that it ended up not being used for 6 years, it may be that some of the members could help with the necessary information.

Best wishes

4. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Tell him to give the guys at Continental (Ferrari Dealer) a call, there number is 630-655-3535 and ask for Gary or Scott in Service. They should be able to tell your dad on what to do. But after 6 years, i would sugest a major service and replace those belts. Continental will pick his car up in an enclosed trailer too.... They are in Hinsdale, just west of Chicago on 294/Ogden. My 328 is there now....

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    After six years not running I would suggest at the minimum :-

Major service, including cam-belts.
    Replace all oils / fluids including brake fluid, coolant and a/c gas.
    Check tyres for "flat spots" - if the car has stood in the same position for six years then they are likely to be no good.
    Brake calipers could be siezed / discs rusty depending on what the storage conditions were like.
    Shockabsorbers don't like not being used as does the rest of the suspension, so a good checkover is required.
    Engine / gearbox oil seals dry out so a detailed examination when carrying out the service is a good idea.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    All fluids need to be changes (oil, gear oil, etc). Change T-belts, tensioner bearings, cam seals.
    Plus the clutch maybe stuck too. That happens a lot with cars that sit. You calipers may need to be rebuilt. I am sure the radiator is now plugged better pull it out too. All coolant hoses and thermostat. Just don't start it until everything you read here has been done.

7. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Sorry, why to repost this as it is already in the Classic Section?

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23036

Once should be enough...

Ciao

Eugenio

P.S. Add to my previous abswer belt replacement, I forgot...

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    6 years??? what a shame....
    Tod... kind of suprised of your recommendation, given your A/C issues!
    I heard a story about a guys Dino in the Chicago area that had not been started in 6-7 years. Upon starting it... disaster struck, VERY expensive. Flat bed her to LFSC, Continental, or one of several independent shops in the city. A small insurance policy!

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I thought I had seen this before but couldn't find it

10. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    Welcome. Call Giovanni D'Aola at Autosprint in Chicago. He is a known Ferrari shop. The shop is 5257 W. Addison St. Ph# 773-685-0930. Tell him Dan Giacalone told you to call. He takes care of my 308.