PRE -OILING OIL FILTERS? | FerrariChat

PRE -OILING OIL FILTERS?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by thecarreaper, Jul 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ok i searched around in the archives and i still have a stupid question:
    almost all of my other cars have had filters that were in the position so that they could be filled with oil and then installed on the engine prior to start up. bieng as its best to change the oil after warming the engine, i dont want warm engine parts starving for oil on initial start up.
    ? do folks here pour any oil in thier filters and let it soak in , before turning them " upside down" and installing them on thier whatever model ferrari ( assuming your goes on like a 308 series ect) i did the gear oil and diff yesterday, i want to do the engine oil after a brief warm up and see if any changes have occured, mainly, if i am going to be looking for someone to replace a bad syncro on my 308!! the filter thing is more of a personnel thing i have always done, i have no proof that letting the filter soak up as much new oil as it can, before install, really does any good or not. it would seem that the pressure would rise faster due to the oil under pressure "wicking" through the filter material faster.
    or perhaps i am just plain wrong. anyone here add oil in the filters, or do they just screw them on and hit the key? :) thanks for any replies, MICHAEL.

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    On my other vehicles I put as close to a quart as I can into the filter first. It DOES make a difference.
    On the 308 I usually put at least a half a quart in and then pop it on. No mess to speak of.

3. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY...... thats exactly what i did, i posted this thread as i was walking out to the garage to finish what i started on yesterday. i could not test drive the car due to a severe thunderstorm. i know a regular filter will easily absorb a 1/2 quart and not leak ir turned upside down. i let the filter sit with the oil in it while i drained and refilled the car. car DROVE FREAKING GREAT by the way. got rid of the redline oil and filled the car with Lucas 75w90 full synth. no more noise, 3rd gear is not " perfect " but now i can use the gear without cringing before every shift. 2nd is perfect. drove the car over 30 minutes on the highway and in heavy traffic.

i need to add this to the other thread but i had 2 girls ask me what kind of car it was, i told them an old ferrari , and the driver got really happy ( REALLY) and she said her friend thought is was a "special mustang". ( this was a long traffic light , i went that way to see if the car would run hot or not, it passed the test ) they liked the S.F. shields on the sides, though thats why they thought it was a ford LMAO!!

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I had a lady look at the horse on the rear of my 308 and ask me if it was the 'new' Mustang. I said , "No, It's a Ferrari and they had the little horsey first."

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Great news...but was curious...what version of the Redline gear oil were you using?

6. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    That would be a bit messy on the 355 being the filter is upside down.

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i dont know, previous owner was using redline. the syncro will need to be replaced , but at least i can drivee the car while i am searching for someone to do the owrk, or until i can find a used 308 trans, i dont want to give up my original as a core.

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :) all of the 308 series filters are also upside down. see my post #1 at the top.

9. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    When I cahange the fillter on my Mondial I put oil in the filter and accept an amount of mess but also I ALWAYS take the plugs out and spin the motor over until I have oil pressure and the light goes out. Then Plugs back in and start up. That way (hopefully) no stress on the bottom end.

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Wow, that all sounds like overkill to me. Unless you're doing the oil change COLD, there's still going to be enough oil on moving surfaces to cover the few seconds at IDLE SPEED that it takes to get the filter filled back up without damage.

11. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    yeah, sounds like a little overkill but I guess it can't hurt unless you drop a half a quart of oil down on the bell housing :)

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It's not messy at all. I just did it on my 4-liter V-12 330, which has two upside down filters.

I added about a half a quart to each (perhaps a little less) and none spilled out.

--Matt

13. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You could just pull the electric fuel pump "fuse", crank the engine to get the filter filled and oil pressure up, before you start the car.

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks. Sounds like the previous owner had the wrong Redline gear oil put in (they make several). If it is too slipperly, then the synchros will not like it, and you get the crunching sounds, and difficult shifting. Using Redline 75w-90 NS (no slip) would be the cure for that. I'm currently using that with just a little slip additive.

You may notice that the shifting gets progressively worse over time...this seems to be a change in the fluid properties with age. I used Mobil 1 gearbox oil and it worked great initially, but after 7 or 8k miles started having all kinds of shifting/crunching problems (it has the slip additive already in it...and probably too much for the Ferrari application). Switching to the Redline NS seemed to have cured it.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Try some Royal Purple, Micheal.....:)

16. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    He said its basically the same thing as when you shut the car off.
    Further what you are doing "can't hurt" and if you find it messy
    he suggested to simply funnel a little oil down the center hole
    and "wallah" your in !!

:) :) :) :)

17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks, this weekend i am re jetting the carbs and syncing them. the caps and wires are 3 years old and have about 10k miles on them. i want to switch to a new ignition and get the trans fixed asap. i will askwhoever i get the trans from on gear oil opinions.

Speedy i have been looking at Royal Purple also. last step is to drop the pan and see if i can adjust the shift plates. otherwise the trans is coming out. one way or another!!!

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Would that work?

In older V-12's there's also a regular diaphram-type fuel pump. So you'd still be getting fuel to the carbs while you cranked. Are V-8's different?

--Matt