Coupes vs. Spiders which do you like | FerrariChat

Coupes vs. Spiders which do you like

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vincent355, Jul 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

how do you like to ride?

1. coupe

2. targa

3. spider

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    tired of the F1 vs. 6speed debate?

want to vote on something different?

Here you go.

This is one I haven't seen before. I've had a coupe and a targa and though I liked the targa overall I don't miss it at all. I thought I would, but I don't. there are times that rolling up the windows on the 355 and tunring on the AC is the thing to do. I've never been a convertible fan, unless it's night time then I love them.

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    'nough said..........

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I'm a convertible man myself. (preferably)

4. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Haha, Vincent timely thread for me!

I like all 3 for what they are. A Coupe & spider are 2 different world:

For spider, you can enjoy open air, great sound, and feel for speed.

For coupe, you can be very comfortable & practical for everyday use.

For GTS, you can enjoy some part of the both world.

Now I tried all 3 body style of F's, I may go back to GTS or spider again. Who knows!

5. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    I finally have my first true convertible and I absolutely love it. IMHO, why have a coupe when you have the option of truly feeling like you are outside?...especially when you only drive the car in nice whether...unless you are worried about your hair getting messed up or something...I can't say enough...Wish I bought one a long time ago

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Convertible is the only way to go for me since my F car is my nice day toy. If I was in a situation where I need to have a roof, I take another car. Why not enjoy the car and the nice weather?

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm sorry I am very one-eyed in this area. A Ferrari to me is performance car foremost ... may look good second.

Thus unless the car has been designed for some race series where an open top is an advantage then it has to be a coupe.

Coupes are:
    - More rigid.
    - More aerodynamic.
    - Protect the driver better.
    - Not built so people can/will look at you ;)

My view of the ultimate convertible would be probably something American, ie. a Caddy or old Mustang. Something you would just cruise slowly along in and enjoy the open air. Why anybody would want to do 150mph in a convertible I have no idea ... unless they really hate their hair ;) ... thus I have to assume that most Spider Ferraris never have their performance tested anyway. Thus why not replace the engine with a 1.5 ltr version ;)

Pete's opinion

8. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Berlinetta

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    coupes are also a lot lighter, maybe not incredibly noticeable, but does a lot more than any exhaust system for noticeable performance gains...Used to prefer spiders, now I think Im a targa/coupe man....too bad not many F's with sunroofs!

10. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    I was searching all over for the right coupe and stumbled across A 99 F-1 GTS I purchased.I LOVE THAT CAR!!
    I bought it for "the other people"-----> passengers on a friday night.

The spider 355's look a bit to "classy" for me . I picture a snotnose college preppy in one.(No offense to current owners)

Although I must admit the 360 spider looks much more impressive than the coupe.But the price difference is usually huge.(not enough to spend all that extra $$,at least for me w/ this years budget)

Overall I always prefer couple and shy away from convertibles for personal
    racer opinionated views (being coupes look more like a race car to me)

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    None taken..........lol

12. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ

Hahaha Too funny!!

:)

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Targa tops for me. The fun of the open top with a bit more weather protection than a spider. I love taking the top out on a nice early morning or at night. Some time soon I'm going to track down a way-too-many-miles salvage-title 355 GTS for $35K and add it to the stable :)

14. F40Lover

F40Lover Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    For me I like the spider version as where I live there is only 2 months of the year where you need a top. For that season I have another car. There is a red spider sitting in the Ferrari Dealership that has my name on it!! The company bonus is going towards purchase later this year.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    For appearance it's hard to beat the coupe. But I'm glad I bought a targa-top because of its versatility. I have tall friends who would not have fit in a coupe without great difficulty.

Eventually I hope to have the top of my 328GTS painted body color. Then, the way I look at it, I'd have the best of both worlds.

16. horntail

horntail Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    flensburg germany
    A 360 spider gives very god protection against the wind I often drive very fast in it open tried last week 260 kph ( 155 mph ) no problem but I am not so tall 176cm
    My wifes slk is terrible compared to the spider, wind in your neck allready at
    40mph, the spider gives only a little wind at 100mph. The spiders shape is perfect the wind goes high above you and most importent no neck draft at high speeds.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    targa

Best of Both.

18. dmeyer

dmeyer Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David Meyer
    Personally i like the spider. To me the 360 spider is deffinately one of the best looking cars on the road right now. People are talking about performance being better on the coupe and the price difference being too much. This may be true but it my opinion if your really driving for performance you should invest in the CS which is going to be the same price or more than the spider....so it really just depends what your into.
    David

19. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    In terms of looks I think it depends on the car/model.....i prefer hard top on the 348, 355 (any, it is amazing!) and 360 looks good in both too.

I think i prefer hard tops due to performance....when driving in a spider and to a lesser extent a targa you can feel the flex/vibration in the body of the car esp at high speed and so does not feel as robust.

20. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    Oh my coupe all the way a spider is to much a woman car. You know likes to have there hair being blown around in the wind and for everyone to see how beautiful and cool they are.

JuSt KiDding GuYz. NoW TaKe It EaSy On Me.

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    After way too many years of riding motorcycles, I'm a coupe man. You can have the bugs in your teeth.

But, I'm surprised how well coupes are doing in this poll. I thought spiders would run away with it.

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it depends what spider you are talking about... the 360 spider has little body flex compaired to other conv... its perf. numbers are very close to the coupe...you would be hard pressed to notice a perf difference except maybe at 100% all out racing and even then it would be hard... the 360 top goes up with a single botton in 20 seconds, it is lined.... and very quiet, almost coupe like quiet....with the top down,their is very little wind buffing except at over 100 mph,but you get that great ferrari sound in stereo behind you and the sun and the stars and moon above you...it could be used as a very day car and i have been stuck in horrendous hail and rain storms the car performed flawlessly...btw i have never had a bug in the my teeth, un like my motor cycles inthe past!!!!

23. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL

24. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Nothing is better than a Spider on a clear day at sunset. In So. Cali. it is the only way to go.

regards-
    Dino

25. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #25 Kevallino, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017