Dino Camshaft Timing Marks | FerrariChat

Dino Camshaft Timing Marks

Discussion in '206/246' started by stevec, Jul 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevec

stevec Rookie

May 8, 2004
    #1 stevec, Jul 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in the process of recording details of the disassembly of my Dino engine, ’72 GT. The attached picture shows the forward bank of cams. The crank is aligned to the 3-4 mark. I understand that all the cam timing marks should line up with the front bearing caps. If I have identified the timing mark correctly, it can be seen that the inlet cam is a long way off, the rear bank inlet cam is also off but by only about 1/3 as much. Hopefully someone will have an explanation for this. The reason for removing the engine is to investigate reduced compression on cylinder 2 and replace leaking seals etc. The car ran fine. Appreciate any and all comments.

Steve

Dallas, TX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Those are not the timing marks. The timing marks are on the front cam caps (tpwards the timing chain) You will see the rather large rasied portion on the cam cap, closest to the cam gear. On the cam shaft itself you will see a scribe line. The scribe line on the camshatf should line up with the timing marks on the cam cap, with number 3 piston at TDC. Now check all the other cams the same way. They should all be lined up with the marks on the cam caps.

HTH

Tom

3. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    tbakowsky is correct, what you have identified as the timing marks are not the marks. They are up front by the cam wheel and that raised line on the cam cap. IF no one does it by the time I get home, I will post a picture of the marks since I just happen to have my valve covers off.

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I think someone at FAF years ago told me to set the timing so the alignment of the marks on the cam chain wheels are SLIGHTLY to the inside of the marks on the cam caps so as the chain breaks itself in and the chain stretches a bit the marks will work toward the correct alignment. This is assuming you have a new chain installed.

5. stevec

stevec Rookie

May 8, 2004
    Thanks for the info and direction, I have located the scribe marks on the cam wheels.

Help appreciated.

6. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Darn, and I had the picture ready to upload...

7. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    If you're a member of FCA, check out my cam timing article in Prancing Horse 151. This will give you much more accurate timing procedures than using the stamped marks, which are very general and therefore not accurate.