Ferrari auction | FerrariChat

Ferrari auction

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by robinh, Jul 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Well an Acer Ferrari 3000 Notebook anyway. As requested by the winner of the prize draw I have organised an auction which can be found at

http://www.car48.com/Content/fixed/charity.html

This is a brand new computer, in its sealed packaging and the proceeds are for charity so why not have a go.

Robin

PS I'm going to post a write up following the 2000 miles or so we did in the CS and compare it to the 360 Modena (which we had for a day during the event) and give my impressions of how the CS stacks up as a drivers car

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Robin,
    welcome back .The event looks very cool,and the website describes the action very well. I'd like to hear first hand and look fwd to seeing you on the nxt drive out.

3. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Robin,

Some great Photo's, Lucky break with the Cat. Conv., Do you know what caused the build up of so much heat ?

Seb

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The problem with the car was caused by a failure of the left hand manifold air flow sensor. The ECU, being told that there isn't much air coming in to the engine, reduces the amount of fuel. This gives rise to a very lean mixture which burns far hotter than a correct one.

The cat, I was told, normally runs at around 500 centigrade but this lean mixture caused the temperature to rise to over 1000 centigrade. My mother, an art teacher says it has to have been over 1150 centigrade because the ceramic in the cat cracked, alllowing the now molten platinum/metalic core to leak through the cracks to the steel outside casing, melting its way through with the results as you see.

This effect is not, a have to say, a problem specifically linked to Ferrari. Any car fitted with an ECU and a cat can do what my car did.

I have other thoughts etc. but for now wait to hear more from Ferrari.

5. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Perhaps one thing to note about the ECU etc. is that changing the chip is something that should be done with care as there are side effects that might not be quite what we would like.

6. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The current high bid for this computer is £750, a steal at almost £250 off what eBay sellers are getting and only just over half of its list price.

Come on chaps and chapesses, a bid or two would be great and you could pick up a bargin, get a freat computer, help a worthwhile charity and get a slice of Ferrari F1 (it's painted in Scuderia Rosso!)