Should I buy a 2003 Maserati??? | FerrariChat

Should I buy a 2003 Maserati???

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by scott63, Jun 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I am looking at a 2003 Maserati Spyder. I loved my 355 and 360, but want something a bit more practical and less noticeable on the road. I would love to hear any opinions on the car both positive and negative. I will not buy an 02 due to the many upgrades that were made in 2003.

Thanks

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Nice car.

Go for it.

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Go for it, I also debated for awhile before ordering a 04 Spyder GT. I have driven many cars over the years and can say without a doubt this is the most fun car I have ever owned. Make sure to get the Tubi Exhaust, It really finishes the car off

4. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Definatly get it. What do you currently have? The Tubi on a Maserati sounds great. It idles just like an F40. I was at FoNE a while back and there was an F40 outside and he started the engine. While it was idling (really loud) a Maserati started up. I realized that once the F40 shut off and the Maser was still going, that they sounded identical. I didnt realize that half the time I was hearing that Maserati, I though the F40 was still running. Some one on this board recently test drove the Maserati and a 996TT and he liked the Maserati more. More responsive engine and great sound as well as an awesome interior

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    More practical, perhaps slightly. Less noticeable, no way. There's far fewer Masers on the road than Ferrari's - people really do double-takes and stop to talk every time I take the car out for a drive.

6. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I am the guy who picked the Maserati over the 911 Turbo
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13429

I would say - definately do NOT, under any circumstances, get the Maserati. You will not be able to work, do anything useful on the weekends, and your neighbors will hate you!! (I am sure it is because of my car, although some people think it is me !!)

STOP before you do what I did!!!! Your life will be ruined, all for the love of an automobile. Keep away from the Maserati - your loved ones will thank you!

- Jon
    (Tongue in cheek as always, and I still think that the new 911 should be called the Cayenne Stradale)

7. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    my dad is also looking at a '03 coupe GT. we went for a test drive and it was great. although i didn't get to drive it ... the view from the rear seat was amazing, especially watching the speedo run all over the place. the rear seats are comfortable. i dunno how it is down in the US, but up here in canada, i have only seen 1 maserati on the road. howz that for exclusivity. if u are comparing it to a 911, it is really up to you. if you want more passive looks and comfortable accomadations get the maser. if u want a more raw feel... the 911. but the maserati has tonnes of power, so frankly ... i prefer the maserati... will be picking up our next weekend... hopefully.

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I hate to be a spoiler, but...the car has significant cowl shake. If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, the car is a hoot. If it does, look elsewhere. I had a '02 spider for about 5 months before dumping it (at a big loss) because the cowl shake (lack of chassis rigidity) was driving me nuts. The 2003 were made about 20% stiffer, but it still shakes more than what I might consider its competition (M3, 911, Corvette, etc.)

The car is beautifully finished, fast as stink, and is otherwise a deligh (other than the small trunk). But if you value razor sharp handling, chassis integrity, and the lack of squeeks over bumps, make sure that you do an extended test drive before purchase.

Having said all of the above, I will own a Maser Spider again if they get the cowl shake issue dealt with.

9. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I actually feel the issue is overblown. I have driven many 02's and they are tighter than the the 2002 Jag XKR I currently have and much better than any of the Corvette convertible's I've had. The 2003 is definately better and since I don't track or race my cars, the potential loss of handling doesn't matter to me. You are right about the comparison to a Porsche 996. I had a 2001 C2 cab and it was tighter than the Maserati.

Thanks for the input.

10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Reading all those stories about those problems with the Spyder had me very nervous during my 4 month wait for my car. I was really expecting not to like the car but figured what the hell I would give it a chance. Not sure if Maserati fixed the problem or if it was overblown but my 04 did not have any significant cowl shake. I had a Porsche Boxster S in 2001 and remember one road on my ride home from work where there is a stop sign and sharp banking turn to the left, Used to like to gun it as I took that turn but never liked the way it seemed the body shifted on the chassis while it seemed I was pulling a few G's. Then tried the same thing with my Spyder and it was much better than the Porsche. The spyder does a terrific job of holding a line on curves.

11. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Sure, Buy two! Nice looking car!

12. ARAR

ARAR Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    The 02MY Spyder does shake a lot but but as well as making things stiffer for the 03MY they softened the suspension which, whilst it makes the car roll a little too much, hides the shake well. Still no patch on a new shape SL though, especially when you consider roof up noise levels.

Over here in the UK, for 03 they also introduced stability program to replace the traction control previously fitted - a big help. Prices of used cars (even 03s) are weak here and a great buy if you are happy with a two seater convertible.

13. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I have noticed a significant reduction in cowl shake when the Spyder is fitted with the optional Skyhook suspension although personally I fell it still is not on par with even an SLK.
    I am not a convertible type of person so my choice would be to purchase a Coupe, now that is one amazing piece of machinery.

14. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Nope

You should buy two.

The couipe is good for the sour weather days.

15. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Everytime I drive my coupe, I appreciate it more and more. This past weekend after the 4th, we were driving home in the torrential rains in MA. Even with the buckets of falling rain and water on the road, the car is very well planted. Though the tires are pretty fat, the heavy weight offsets the risk of hydroplaning a bit. And braking performance is great. The somewhat crunchy ride and steering feel communicates alot of the road to the driver, making bad-weather handling more predictable. I kept forcing myself to slow down, even though I didn't really feel the need. In fact, the only problem we had were some jackasses that refused to turn their lights on in the torrential downpour...

16. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I must chime in to defend the Spyders ability to handle the weather also. If you remember my posts from the day I picked up my car at the dealership, Was April 1 and we had a record setting 7 inches of rain that day in the Boston area. I was so stressed out the day before looking at the forecasts that showed all the rain coming for next couple of days and after already waiting almost 5 months for car to get here I could not way for better weather to get car. As I started home on the Mass Pike in torrential downpours that made large puddles over the entire road surfaced I was very nervous but then noticed how great car was holding the line as I went thru them, Was extremely impressed with cars handling and how incredibly tight the top was. Even know I look forward to the rainy days so I can put my top up. Makes me feel like I have two different cars. The triple lined interior and no latches at all makes you forget you are in a convertible.

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    So who do you believe?

Scott63?
    Scott61?
    Scotty?

Great Scott! :)

DL

18. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Agreed. I haven't driven the spyder, but I imagine it does just as well, or better than the coupe (heavier car) in bad weather. Low, wide and heavy is a good combo. The Maser's electronic traction/slip control adds another layer of safety. Car does pretty well in the snow too, assuming you put on the right tires...

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Wait for the 2005 model. According to an article in R&T, both the coupe and spider will receive a major body upgrade as well as an increase in hp for the 2005 model year.

20. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    You'll have to wait until MY'06, the '05s are being built as we speak with no significant changes.

21. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg

The 2005 model will have minor changes to the grill. You can get an idea from the grill on the Gransport. Check out the maserati site. The trunk may also be slightly reshaped at the edge.

The dealer assurred me that there were no changes to the engine for 2005,
    which was a determining factor for me buying the 2004.

The 2006 model will have the re-designed body and possibly the engine. But I couldnt wait that long!!

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    i say definately go for it, its gorgeous inside out, very exclsive and most people will double look it more than a ferrari, less extravagant and very respected.youll make porsche guys scared unless its a turbo

23. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    A 2004 Maserati? I don't believe there is such a thing. Or do you mean those margarine tubs on wheels with a Trident stuck on them?!

Sorry, I wouldn't be caught dead in one - no offence intended!

24. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I stand corrected...for the 'o5 MY the grille has been revised to look more like the Q-porte, the front and rear bumpers have been revised to resemble the Gransport as well as having a larger Trident badge on the nose.

25. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    the Ferrari is more reliable than a Maserati

and by the way, the Maserati is also very good in drawing attention...
    so just get a 360 or 355