360 oil temp VERY slow to heat | FerrariChat

360 oil temp VERY slow to heat

Discussion in '360/430' started by silverstreak, Jul 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silverstreak

silverstreak Rookie

Jul 9, 2004
    Im having an issue where my 360 spyder is taking quite a while for the oil temp to heat up to normal levels: over 7 miles of driving; 15 minutes says mapquest. Is this normal? Is this avoidable? I would really like some kind of method of getting it going quicker- I am halfway to work before I can actually drive it. Seems like a waste of good milage.
    oh and BTW, I know just leaving it to warm-up for a whilie would inevitably create several of those, "what was I doing 2 hours ago when I got distracted... oh crap!" moments.
    Tony

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, that's normal!

That's the main reason I don't use my 360 for running nearby errands. Apart from wasting precious Ferrari miles on city roads, it's not very good for the engine if the oil doesn't reach full operating temp during each leg of an outing.

fwiw, it's not good for an engine to routinely warm it up to full temp by idling it. However, I routinely do a one minute get-the-oil-flowing warm up before backing out of the driveway.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Pretty typical in my previous 308 and current 328...the cars do take a while for the oil temps to come up. Like 911fan, I only warm up the car for one to two minutes in the driveway, then take off. keep revs below 4k rpm until the oil reaches 170 degrees.

4. So whats the correct way of warming it up. I usally let it sit for a few minutes or drive slow and let the tranny and oil and engine temp warm up before driving harder.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Check this out...and weigh in, if you haven't. ;)

Poll