CS Cat Fire Supercar Run :-( | FerrariChat

CS Cat Fire Supercar Run :-(

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360CS, Jul 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Worring times what with the Cat fire on Robins car, he was lucky that he is mechanically minded stopped quickly and put out the fire.

Im surprised that such an error can ocurr on this type of car :-(

Nice to see that the Ferrari guys got you a replacement car tho??

Its a shame that Koeinesseg or what ever it is called couldnt fix Peters car?? I believe he dropped out as well, Whats happing to yrs now Robin was much damaged??

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Joe wonder why that bank was not put into a safe limp home mode,is it part of the softwear?,you can run some cars without the flow meter but dont try it, it HAS to be there,the heat that was generated on that bank of four must have been mad,wonder if there is going to be any long term damage to that bank,ie-ex manifold,engine castings pistons or valves,
    id have a leak down test done and get the car put on the ramp and checked out to see if all was ok in that area, the manifold must have been white hot,
    never seen the internals of a cat make that kind of exit before,

cheers
    Dale.

3. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The car was taken to Ferrari France HQ in Paris. I believe two factory engineers were sent from Italy to do the work and everything that was damaged at all has been replaced. Having spoken to the factory the car has been fully checked from air inlet to exhaust output and all of the electronics have been replaced. I'm sure, actually certain, that the car is now as it should be.

The greatest area of heat appeared, at the time, to be at the rear of the second cat. My concern, and I believe that of Ferrari is that the time from first warning to failure was very short, around 15 seconds without the left bank shutting down which is what I would have expected as well.

The cat fire, although nasty, is something all cars can suffer with an air flow sensor failure and as for temperature it must have been in excess of 1150 centigrade in the cat to cause the ceramics to fail

4. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Correct me if im wrong Dale/Robin :)

Isnt it the work of the Cat ECU to detect the heat in the convertor??

Was it then the sensor that failed to detect such heat and simply shut that bank down?? Its hard to believe that within 15 sec,s the cat was reduced to liquid ceramic metal....

Oh well its a happy outcome and all is repaired and i good time by the sounds of it Robin...

Looking forward to the report comparision!!! :)

5. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    The lambda sensor is always fluctuating,switching to maintain some sort of ideal fuel ratio,if you cut the wires(inop sensor) or remove the cat they usually go rich,
    glad its all sorted now Robin and thanks for the super car run pics look's real good event,

cheers
    Dale.

6. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    I thought these cars had a thermal sensor after the Cats that would avoid this happening ?