Get to drive an original 427 Cobra | FerrariChat

Get to drive an original 427 Cobra

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by alanhenson, Jul 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    My dads friend just bought an original 1967 427 Shelby Cobra(350K). To my amazement he is willing to let me drive it if I let him drive my 355. Sucker. I will post pics and driving impressions when I do. Can't wait.

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    That sounds fair....... enjoy

3. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    I sure hope you'll share your driving experience with us. Oh, and be sure to have fun!

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    couple of things to keep in mind... Clutch feels like it is out of an old dump truck, linear acceleration is SHOCKING and the brakes are like granite ADJUST your braking, seriously when i drove one my right leg felt like it was going to fall off and it sure does not brake like your Fcar.

other than that OHH BABY are you in for some fun...

5. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Sounds like a true Muscle car to me.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

That's going to be a cool drive !!!

I remember a couple of years when I was given the opportunity to drive a perfectly restored 1969 BOSS 302 Mustang.

Was I in heaven or what !!! I had lusted after one of these since I was a kid and now I could drive one......having owned several muscle cars when I was 18-22 I thought it would be like the good old days again.

Wrong !!!....archaic lump was more like it. If it wasn't for my over developed left knee due to years of heavy clutch abuse I wouldn't have been able to take it more than a few blocks....and the lack of power steering, let alone everything else that we get today in modern cars made for....well....let's just call it an "experience" and leave it at that. What was I thinking before.....???......heh.

It gives one a new found respect for the racing drivers that flogged these things back then too......and I imagine the Cobra drive you are about to embark on will do the same thing.

Enjoy and reflect !!! And...oh yeh....don't forget the long pants...preferably heavy jeans.....you wouldn't want to leave a "momento" on your calf.

7. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I've had 5 original 427 Cobras over the years. Fun to drive ,light cars,
    tenency to overheat (no main fan) unless moving. It is sort of like strapping a motor to your back!

8. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Wow, 5. I hope you sold during the boom when they were selling for 500K. My dads friend is on his 3rd. His second one was bought for 10K and sold for 180K. Not a bad profit at all.