What will MS do when he retires? | FerrariChat

What will MS do when he retires?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by sjb509, Jul 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I think he will drive in F1 until 2006 or so, but what do you think he will do when he retires?

Just a few things pop into my head if I try to put myself in his shoes:
    1. Be on the BOD for Fiat and Ferrari, essentially a celebrity figurehead which would be an ambassador for Ferrari.
    2. Head Ferraris serious return to prototypes at LeMans as a driver or team owner.
    3. Become a team manager/coach within Ferrari F1, mentoring his replacement.
    4. Own his own F1 team as with Prost, only better-funded and using Ferrari engines, of course.
    5. Race another series for fun such as IRL, ALMS, Nascar, or WRC.
    6. Retire quietly, ski, jet-set around, ride Harleys across the US, safe in the knowledge that his records (8 or 9 driver's championships, 100 wins?) will never be touched.
    7. Become the F-chat racing section moderator.

2. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I'm going with #7

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Why talk about his retirement now? This is all premature. He has a good 4 to 5 years of F1 ahead of him. More victories and more championships. All this talk about braking records is over. Let's just enjoy seeing the worlds greatest F1 racer ever win more for the deserving Scuderia Ferrari.

4. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    4-5 years? I love your enthusiasm but some of your comments are just not very realistic. 2006 has been the year that has come up over and over again for the whole team. So say that he is going to be around for 4-5 years after that seems a to be a bit too much of wishful thinking.

5. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I pray for #2. He's got endurance experience, and he has said he would love to race LeMans. The Maser could be the testbead.

BUT, I fear this would be just too good to happen.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #6 man, give him a rest!

Maybe drop in the FFQC! :)

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't see a Harley, though. Ducati!

He's stated other types of racing don't attract him much.

He also strikes me as a careful considered investor, so no worries there.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Open a brewery, real estate, or owning a fleet of auto dealerships.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    He already owns or leases a Harley and DOES ride across the States. He enjoys the fact that he is not recognised in the USA as much and thus can relax.

MS is heavily involved with other things that the FIA do, such as road safety stuff. I believe that is where he will move ...

Pete

10. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    lol, just think is Michael was the Fchat racing moderator....or even a member!?!?!

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I think he's more of a lurker.

He told me after he retires that he wants to come over and bbq with me and speedy 308. Says that he wants to bless speedy's other 308.

that would be cool.

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All true. I had the unique pleasure of talking to the guy who rents the Harley's in Las Vegas and got the inside scoop on Michael's rent in 2003. Quite interesting.

MS is e.g. the ambassador of good will from San Marino. I see him work more in that direction. Leisure time will probably spent playing soccer and watch his kids grow up. Nice life.

13. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

He's going to do something revolutionary
    Truly outstanding and amazing.
    He's going to

Golf.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont see him racing anything after f1, except maybe some years later when he feels the need for speed. he has enough to not have to work at anything for the paycheck. therefore its most likely that he will end up on the political side of either racing or running something. my 2cts

15. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Convince Luca to have Ferrari build a Push rod V-8 and go NECKCAR racing and blow away the inbreds by 5 seconds a lap ;)

Seriously. He can do what he wants to do. He has lived a gifted life and done more than any of us have, so he deserves a break.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, there's always the family karting track. ;) ("Beat the N-time World Champ, and win a T-shirt" :D )

Then there's the refrigerator disposal business ... ;)

17. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I see (and hope for) either #2 or #3. Michael is FAR too driven, energetic and COMPETITIVE to just waste away on permanent vacation and eventually die. He still has much to give to the world of motorsports, just in a different arena. I see him being like Mario Andretti and racing well into the later years, although F1 is not an old man's game of course. The prototypes would be perfect.

Or he is probably popular enough to become Chancellor of Germany LOL......

18. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I think he will become ambassador for Ferrari, but on a minimal scale. In motorsports, he has nothing else to prove. Why risk his life/fortune in prototype racing or funding his own race team??? He will probably retire with his beautiful wife and kids, and enjoy life to the fullest.

19. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    He should launch a car company under his name
    that would be an instant success
    just like Carroll Shelby did. or Bruce Mc Laren. among other F1 legends

20. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I get the feeling racing IS Michael's life, he may feel like a shell of his former self if he just fades away, with no purpose in life. I do think he will at least be a team owner or involved in some way, a person of his type can't just sit idle!! I mean, how many games of golf can you play??!

Even Mika Hakkinnen, who retired largely due to wanting to be with his family, has expressed some desire to return, although that may not happen. But Michael is much more serious and deep into F1 than Mika ever was anyway.

21. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, his kids are, what, five and seven, now? I suspect all the travel is starting to get a bit old.

But I wonder what Schumi's reaction would be, if his kids show an interest in racing. (Has "grandpa" gotten them into karts, yet?)

22. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    i think MS will take on a REAL job - helping his brother actually win a bit :)

23. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Hi, I am new here ...

I think Michael is likely to take a year or two off and be with his family full-time - go see the world. He has made more than enough money to survive comfortably for 6 future generations - so that is not a worry.

I think he will get into some investments - I believe he is already vested in a real estate development in Spain along with Willi Webber.

Also he might be a brand ambassador for Ferrari. As far as F1 racing goes i think he will make a clean break - he might just do karting for the fun of it.

As far as alternative racing such as CART, etc - he has not really shown any interest -

IRL - too dangerous in his opinion
    CART - when you have conquered F1 what's the thrill here
    NASCAR - Surely you must be joking
    WRC - Now here there is a possibilty - he may just try a couple of races or do a recce just for the fun of it....

24. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Actually there was a story (2003 I believe) that MS was at Texas Motor Speedway and was going to try the Richard Petty Experience just for fun. I don't remember the details, maybe someone who does could correct me if I'm wrong. Supposedly MS likes the US because he can move around more easily than in most countries because of his fame, if he started racing Nascar he would REALLY be famous here, LOL.

Anyway, I agree it wouldn't happen, he'd probably be F-chat moderator first.

25. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    probaby coach the next Ferrari F1 team.