308 1st gear | FerrariChat

308 1st gear

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wamclain, Jul 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wamclain

wamclain Rookie

Apr 1, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    William McLain
    To shift into 1st gear on my '82 308 gtsi, I have to push down on the shift lever and pull back. I know that it is normal to push down to shift into reverse, but I didn't think it was necessary for 1st gear. Am I off base, or is there a problem with the shift assembly? Thanks for your help.

2. sue308

sue308 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Susan Hawley
    The function (block for reverse)of the pushdown is facilitated at the gate itself (if I remember right). I have never heard of this designed into the 308. What Ser. # is the car?

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Unscrew your gate and look at it. Make sure it is positioned correctly. I have seen them put on wrong before. If it isn't that then I would move onto the adjustment under the car.

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Do you also have to push down to go into reverse or only first gear?

5. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    My '83 Euro QV does the same, won't engage 1st (or reverse) without the pushing the shift lever down. Whether that is by design or a fault I don't know though.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That's a *fault* for 1st gear. It shouldn't be necessary to push down. It's not the case in my US QV, and I've driven several Euro QVs and they shifting is just like mine.

7. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i am with 308 DO THAT FRIST.

8. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    I suspected it was a fault and was going to try adjusting the linkage.

I'm not sure if the "fault" is the same as wamclain's , on mine the lever will move to the 1st gear position, but does not engage 1st gear unless the shift lever is pushed down. From looking at the attached diagram it would seem to me that, if this is a fault then, the linkage needs to be shortened at the adjuster (4,5), as the only effect I can see that pressing the lever could have is to increase the throw slightly.

Or is there something else that can be done?

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    If memory serves me correctly, the only thing that pushing down on the shifter does is it allows the shifter to be disengaged from a tab on the reverse finger of the gate. Kind of a safety to prevent the shifter from accidently being put into reverse while going forward.

I'd check to make sure the gate is installed properly, it may have to be rotated 180deg.. Also look for any burrs on the fingers of the gate.

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Can't be the gate. If it were rotated the stop on the underside would be on fifth gear not first. It is actually just a tooth that sticks down off the bottom of the gate. Mine was so worn out I could shift into reverse without pushing down!

11. wamclain

wamclain Rookie

Apr 1, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    William McLain
    Mine is like FiveBob's. It shifts into the 1st gear position without pushing down but doesn't engage. It only engages if you push down. Reverse works properly. It appears from the posts to need adjustment.

Thanks for all the input.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Then that sounds like linkage, and not simply the gate, doesn't it?

13. paul 308

paul 308 Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Guildford, Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Deslandes
    Although my 308 selects ok, it feels like treacle. Assuming its the linkage rather than the box, how do you get at it to clean it out and regrease (what with)? Is it accessible from inside the car or do you have to go underneath?

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I agree with pulling off the gate and giving a real good inspection. Those gate slots are large enough to swallow lots of funky things. When I got my car I didn't have to push down on the stick to select reverse. Only after lubing the assembly as a matter of preventive maintenance did it loosen up and all of a sudden require being pushed down. You don't know what you'll find until you do a good inspection. I would check all the easy stuff before trying to change the adjustments.

Best wishes,

Andy