Sub-$50k Testarossa | FerrariChat

Sub-$50k Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rascalif, Jul 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
  2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    When I told one of the owners of FOA that I had heard of a TR that sold at auction for only $35k, his response was "...how many do you want for that price..."

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    If only those were the prices in Europe... One for me, thanks!

Ciao

Eugenio

4. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    yeah and they need $15k worth of work.

at least that much.

5. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Shouldn't this be worth a PPI @ FOW, at the very least?

People have financial troubles and this guy might be one of them. This is more than he'd get selling to a dealer, but should be cheap enough to sell it privately and FAST.

Just a thought...

6. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Yeah, $49K for an '86TR doesn't seem like an exceptionally good price at all.

7. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    do I hear twenty five....twenty?

They should just give them away..

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    wants to be cheap as it only has one mirror and for me the steering wheel is on the wrong side

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    One mirror, single lug wheels, I don't know I can maybe go 23K :)

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No VIN/serial number...?

11. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    You are right on. A 30k 86 should be in the 42-45 range. I just passed on a beautiful 87 with 20k for 48k.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed... depending on condition and when it was major serviced/milage.

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Seems like 45k is a good ballpark,and the asking price is near that.

Want my 86 single mirror, single lug for less than that?

Ha! :)

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I've heard of nice 1988+ TRs selling for around that price.

15. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I believe I talked to this guy. I think this is a Euro car. Deal was kinda strange as he emailed with one name for a while, then he changed his name. I felt uncomfortable.

16. Darkhorse512

Darkhorse512 Rookie

Dec 14, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David JOnathan Smith
    Looking at those side markers I'd say it is certainly a Eurospec car. Even with all EPA DOT papers and a major service I wouldn't part with more than $39K for any Euro car.

17. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    I thought I saw this car on E-bay a while back and if I remember right it was a Euro car.
    As far as price, I believe the early TR's seem to be in the mid to upper $40's
    depending on condition and svc. history.(from a private owner)

Chuck

18. mchferrari

mchferrari Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    Where did you find a Testarossa that cheap? I'm interested.

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    For an 86', the price isn't good.

It looks like the site has had almost 13 thousand hits; and the car is still available.......that should tell you something!

20. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I traded my 88 Testarossa with 37,000 miles perfect condition major done by a Ferrari F1 mechanic who worked in the team for 5 years under Schumaker, thats to tell you the care I gave to this car, I got $55,000 for it from a Porsche dealership and that was 4 moths ago. I think I did a good deal, there is no such thing as a good Testarossa for cheap money in the end you will pay whats really worth it, theres no way around it the TR loves the owner to spend good money in service.

21. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I too would like to know where you can get a TR for under $45. Have I been overlooking some Web site?

Wes

22. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have an 87 testarossa with 31k miles that i just did the 30k mile service on. i need to sell it for garage space since i just bought a 360. the problem that most people in my position find themselves in, is that for $40k or whatever you want to talk about, i would just assume rather keep it. any car you find in this price range, expect to spend a large amount of $$$$. i know what the market is for such a car, and $40k isn't it. if i thought $40k was a good price, i wouldn't have spent over $8k to do the service. you get what you pay for and testarossa parts aren't cheap. yes you can save a little on you initial investment, but you will pay in the long run.

23. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    That's what I think!

It's just when someone confidentally says TR's are going for mid 40's, I'd like to see some support.

Wes

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  25. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unfortunately it is it.

If it wasn't it, TRs would sell all day long at the often asked for $55-$75k price range. Reality is they don't. Take a look, there is a glut of TRs for sale. Some have impeccable maintenence and are in pristine condition, others are basket cases both mechanically and physically. But there's a ton of them on the market competing for what is not very much demand. $45k seems to be the magic price for TRs to sell relatively quickly while $60k+ and they sit on the market for some time. The one thing I love about FML is it tells you when the ad was placed, and some get renewed constantly, yet have been on the market for what seems like years. And these are $65k cars.

And if there was demand, there wouldn't be that many on the market. Take a look in FML, Ebay, Yahoo, and every other classified nationwide - there's plenty available. About the only thing not readily available in a TR (at any time) is a color other than red/white/black (i.e. yellow, blue, etc).

No one wants to admit they sold their car for a low amount, and many owners don't like to discuss what they paid, so 'factual' support you won't get.

Here's as close of support you'll get: Find a TR you really like (color combo, miles, condition, and service history). Then call or go to your nearest Ferrari or other exotic car dealer. Tell them you're thinking of trading in your car. Ask them what they'd give you for your car (range). That's the market reality of what they're worth.

Does this mean you can easily go out and find a TR in the $40ks? No. But someone who needs to sell their car that hasn't been able to will probably be more open to an low ball offer, especially if they have a car they've ordered and they need the money (you'd be surprised how often this is the case). You may have to go through 20 TRs for sale before you find one that will be sold in that price range.

Bottom line is they can be had for at that price, and not basket case cars either (though those will be easier to find).