Mark Webber or Rubens Barrichello | FerrariChat

Mark Webber or Rubens Barrichello

Discussion in 'F1' started by Auraraptor, Jul 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Mark Webber or Rubens Barrichello

1. Mark Webber

2. Rubens Barrichello

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Assuming the same car, who is better?

This should prove interesting....

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Rubens Barrichello: He is only second to the greatest racing driver of all time, Michael Schumacher.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    How soon they forget '99....

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Not answerable in the slightest.

5. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    remind us....

6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm a dyed in the wool Rubens fan but in the same cars Webber is more of a hard-nosed customer and this is the edge he has over Rubens.

Rubens also seems to be happy about being second or third, Webber would not settle for that even if he was in the same team as MS, we're Aussies and we don't take second place to anyone :)

For Webber to have got where he is takes a lot of determination from our neck of the woods and only the absolute best and most determined will make it to F1 so when Webber got there he was never going to be second, given equal cars he would be wheel banging with MS on equal terms whereas Rubens (love the man) would be beaten by sheer willpower.

I am unbiased after all :)

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree. Men from down under have BALLS and pride ... RB has neither! Mark would put RB firmly in his place ... can't wait for Williams and him to be giving MS a hard time, if Williams can finally make a decent car.

Pete

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    You guys take any bets down under...
    That is one BIG BIG BIG BIG "IF"

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the other point about MW joining Williams is that Sam Michael runs the show now so will probably be slightly biased towards Webber as well, both being Aussies and not taking any BS from the engineers, when MW says this is rooted or this is good, Sam will make sure that they get the right response from the engineering guys.

Personally I think Williams will improve when Montoya the destroyer has gone to his rightful end (RD GOM) and Webber and hopefully Fisi sort this team out.

Fisicella is a seriously underrated driver and given the same chance in a Williams/McLaren or Ferrari would make for a much more interesting race.

I think Webber will end up 2nd or 3rd in the Williams next year and fight MS on equal terms the following year, it did take MS a few years to get all his team together before results came our way.

John

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes it is a big IF ... but I'm hoping for Mark's sake they can. Williams have made great cars in the past ...

Pete

11. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The Past is history...

and that IF will never happen again!

Williams have wasted 5 years of Ralf's career. Now they will waste another driver in the form of Webber.

12. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    IMHO Barichello, he's proved time and time again that he is not afraid to take the fight to the top. Webber had potential, but I think Jaguar has neutered him to an extent. One hopes going to Williams helps, I hear he might be in the Williams as early as Hungary.

13. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If Webber was at Ferrari, he'd be second... like it or not.

Rubens doesn't like being second to MS... but he's not going to whine about it... he just keeps quietly working on his game... and it keeps getting better.

Webber may be more "hard nosed" (I'm not so sure though), but it wouldn't matter as I don't think Webber could keep up with RB's pace... RB would just slowly walk away from him. JMHO.

But I agree it will be very VERY interesting to see what Webber can really do... once he's in a competitive car. This poll will be fun to re-do at the end of next season.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not all the time like RB. Atleast he would always be trying ... and there is no way that an Aussie would take it up the arse like RB is and play the team orders BS ... no way.

We would do it ONLY if we had no chance at the WC ourselves and the other driver needed our help.

Yep it will.

Pete

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I love Rubens and think he is damn great but lacks the killer instinct Webber has (his partners never get near him either!)

Aussies, like you US boys, will NOT sit back and be told to take a dive if you know you are better than the guy in front, we'd rather go to another team than be told to sit back (this is why I had no respect for Irvine the mercenary), we only gt to the top of the tree every now and then, Jack Brabham/Alan Jones, but when we do no MS or RB or ANYONE is going to stop us WINNING....to us coming second is being the first of the losers and who wants to be that.

Schumacher is good...err brilliant but if Webber had the other Ferrari we'd be hearing the Aussie anthem a lot more and some dodgy excuses from the Schu JMHO and that of 20 million other slightly unbiased people :)

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I reckon that's just bull...to drive for ferrari with what they'd pay for the right guy, webber would just shut up and do what he's told, just like RB does. who the hell wouldn't?

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    you would have more than enough pride to tell them to f*** *ff given the chance....money sucks in the end

who do we have the most respect for, the one who took the money or the win ??

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

Alarm!! Alarm!! Chauvinism detected!!

Just kidding. Webber´s speed doesn´t depend on his nationality but he´s very promising everyway.

19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    the money, of course

20. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Over 2 laps Mark would be quicker but i think Rubens has proved a full race distance is different and that he has the experience to go the full distance and be quicker at the end, Rubens record this year is very good how is Marks?

21. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Number of wins Mark = 0 Rubens= 7
    Best Ever Result Mark =5th Rubens= 1st
    RACES LED Mark =1 Rubens=40
    LAPS LED Mark = 2 Rubens=629
    Birth Date Mark = 27 August 1976 Rubens=23 May 1972

I could go on and on... but this is a little ridiculous. Webber would not stand a chance. Webber is just 4 years younger its not like he is going to improve overnight!

Over an entire race (60 laps) Weber would be lapped ... TWICE.... before the finish.

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm not a big fan of Webber myself, but I wouldn't close the book on him like that. The comparison is unfair as you should look at races participated and type of cars driven. Webber has done stunningly in the slowest car (aka a Minardi) and is now driving fairly well in still a bad car. Whereas Rubens did almost all of his accomplishments in the mighty (as opposed to the Ferrari his predecessors had) Ferrari.

What people kinda forget about Rubens is, that he is a very slow starter in F1. He is doing a fine job now, but part of that is down to his experience. Similar deal like Fisichella. Compare that to guys like MS, Kimi or Alonso who are fast out of the box.

Again I'm not holding Webber too high myself, but let's see what he can do in a Williams. If he actually ends up there together with Fisico we'll have a much better picture of what these drivers are really capable of.

23. poe kaz

poe kaz Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brady
    Rubens all the way he has more experience to

he is second to MS

24. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    There are always two sides to the coin, Imperial83...

Wasn't Rubens' first F1 Grand Prix win in 2000 at Hockenheim (in the championship winning Ferrari F1-2000 no less...)?

He entered Formula 1 in 1993, so that means it took him 7 years to get his first win.

I can see Webber winning his first Grand Prix next year when he's in a Williams (if they're as competative as they were in 2003). That means, considering his entered F1 in 2002, he'd have his first F1 GP win 3 years after entering F1.

So if this eventuates, Webber will have achieved his first F1 win in less than half the time Rubens did.

25. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Agreed 100%!

BUT, F1 is a team sport and there is a BIG "IF"... if Williams can provide Webber a good enough car. Fact is Webber is not a proven quantity and Rubens is a proven driver. As of today, until Webber actually starts to win races, Rubens would be too tough for Webber.

I have seen how Williams completely failed Ralf. Hopefully they wont waste another decent driver in the form of Webber.

I would have liked to see Webber drive for Mclaren instead of Montoya. Now that would have the makings of a good team. Kimi and Webber on the same team would have been much better than Webber at Williams with God knows who and Kimi having to put up with Montoya.