Anyone can advise whether I should keep a 348 or a 355? | FerrariChat

Anyone can advise whether I should keep a 348 or a 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by SFchallenge, Jul 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can advise me whether to keep my 348 & restore/upgrade/tune it or might as well change for a 355?

The thing is, a cheapest 355 here will cost me almost double my 348. I know the 355 is a much better car in terms of almost everything. I somehow like the air-intake lines along the doors of my 348 better, a little classic style from the late 80s. But parts/function are getting a bit more tricky & the community don't seem to favor the 348. I'd love a 328GTS but it's so rare here!

There's a lot of "fun" to restoring older cars, though at a big cost but a 355 here will cost me about US$50-80000 more!

My main concern would be into long term maintenance as well.

Any thoughts from you guys is very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I loved the 348, when 355 first came out. I didn't like the single induct on the side, however, it grew on me. Now I would say my favorite Ferrari of all time is 355.

I would suggest you to go for the 355. More modern, more power, better looking rear-end (IMHO) and more likely less trouble.

However, $50~80K is alot of $. So the decision is yours.

Good luck and please post the outcome.

(PS: Just curious how much a brand new 360 Coupe cost in Singapore?)

3. horntail

horntail Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    flensburg germany
    I would go for the 355. Think its a better investment in the long term and it is going to be a classic and will command better prices in the future also better reliability. Just my opinion

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I like my 355.......

5. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    A new 360 in Singapore is about US$400000 here & a nice used one of 4yrs old is still US$290K+

Most of these exotics are exported as we get a huge "refund" when we de-register within 5yrs of use. Very few cars here are re-newed after ten years as we lose a huge amount & pay another US$20K+/- of COE (certificate of entitlement, was US$60-grand for a paper during the peak!) to the government to extend another 10yrs of use.

Our road tax is based on engine capacity & has a max. 150% extra on old cars. So, a huge V12 Testa owner will pay US$6000 on annual road tax alone.

That said, many new exotics are still registered annually. I know an owner has a Rolls, Bently GT, Porsche Turbo, Beetle, Merz & all with single digit plates with some on number 1! These plates are worth up to US$70K each.

Most of us are still content with the public transport here & taxi is cheap if compared to Europe or Japan.

Pays for a safe & peaceful country to live.

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The costs of parts and labor being what it is, I think you could dig yourself a VERY deep hole real quick in "restoring" a 348. I've spent as little money as possible on my 348 in the 4 years I've had it, because I know that I'll never recover it. Drive it, enjoy it, maintain it, then sell it and move on. My opinion.

7. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    No way is a 355 worth twice what a 348 is. I'd buy newer 348 in perfect condition before the 355. 348 is much funner to drive with all the driving sensations in full force. The steering is awful in the 355, and there is no justification for the almost double price.

8. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    I have experience in both.

The 348.................
    positive-The 348 costs less.
    positive-The 348 doors look more F-car.(my opinion)
    positive-Lower cost insurance

negative-slower lower hp
    negative-less handling ability (not feel ,non powered,the handling being better is an illusion)
    negative-dependability issues (very costly)
    negative-no air bags

The 355......

Pos- more hp
    pos-more dependably.(but beware of the 4k needed for tubi or compatble headers)
    pos -better looking body (not doors)
    pos-better handling(feels more nimble)
    pos- paddle shifted available)
    pos- better a/c and more features available

neg-cost more upon purchase "although" they can be found for much less
    since a couple years ago's economy "slide.

Assuming that your concidering both w/ some miles on them "exercised"
    that makes me lean toward 355.A well maintained 355 w/ 20k plus prices are
    compatible to low mile 348 .I have seen 348's for sale for 70k$$ wheras 355's w/ 20k plus miles for mid to high 70's.

IMO the 355 is a better choice overall.
    Bear in mind I drive my 355 often.

Hope this helps.