Suggestions for computer *desk* cooling fan. | FerrariChat

Suggestions for computer *desk* cooling fan.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Crawford, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Just got in a new desk which has a slot for the computer tower. There is very little ventilation, though, and the computer along with the cable modem really get hot, especially if I have the door shut.

I want to install a fan in the back of the desk. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the top of the back panel and attaching a fan there. It needs to be very quiet and run on 120 V. Any suggestions or ideas???

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Take the metal shell off your computer and store it out of the way. Buy two 90 or 92mm 120V DC fans that will give 80-100CFM. Cut a hole in the wood in back of the computer. Mount the fan to blow in the direction of the Mother Board. Drill a clean hole pattern (1/4") in the front door. Mount the second fan to the inside of the door, exhausting OUT. This should keep things lice and cool.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    https://www.vbd.com/fans/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=36&ProductID=41

It doesn't run on AC but you can plug it right into your computer and it will start when you turn on your computer.

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Don't they make cooling fans that plug into spare PCI slots?