Wouldn't all Ferraris feel faster if............ | FerrariChat

Wouldn't all Ferraris feel faster if............

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Woudn't all Ferraris feel faster if..........they had less throttle pedal range? Let me put forward a thought, and you tell me what you think.

I find that full throttle position on my 328 is much further than on any other car I have ever driven. What happens then is what on other cars would be half throttle, on the F-car is only say a quarter throttle. So you "think" you're stepping into it....and nothing's happening! Whereas you are only in it for a quarter throttle, so you are disappointed. I think the pedal at 3/4 position on an F-car, previous cars I've owned would be at full throttle. I had a Vette and it isn't rated as being faster than the 328, but it felt it. I know it had more torque, but I also attribute some to this issue. Also, since my replica is custom made, the throttle position is probably half what the F-car is, and so it feels faster, yet I know it isn't. A shorter throw would allow quicker, more dynamic requests.

So, I have a few questions:
    1-Do you agree, are F-car throttles longer throw?
    2-Do you think the idea has merit to develop an accessory to pack more throttle into less movement?
    3-Have any of you seen the linkage where the pedal is hinged, is this possible to modify?
    4-Should we all ask Hill Engineering to look into this?

Comments?

Wes

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The shorter the "throw", the less control (per se) you have. It is akin to the amount of turns the steering wheel takes to make a turn. The longer it is, the finer the "resolution" of differences.

Technically, what i mean is, since it takes more physical room to make an adjustment, the adjustments are finer for the same physical amount of movement.

3. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    The number of times I've floored it when I really thought I already had...
    Answer to Q1: Yes
    Q2: No way
    3: No, might be
    4: No

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    American cars have historically had a short, even abrupt, throttle pedal range of motion. The idea being that an unsuspecting driver would, on a quick test drive, be impressed with the sudden amount of power. Good for a first impression, bad for good car control.

5. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Yes, but there is such a thing as TOO MUCH gradiation. F-cars have soft power delivery as it is, so you would never get a "surge" like on a torquey V8. Nobody's advocating undrivable throttle response, there's a middle ground too.

Wes

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Soft power delivery ? Maranello, anyone ?

7. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I'm referring to the 308's and 328's, over which there is constant complaining on this web site about lack of power.

Constant.

Wes

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    are you lazy or what just put your foot down its not hard

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Wes, these are DECADES old cars. For their time they were very good, yet time has marched on. If you want MODERN power turbo/NOS/Blower the 3x8... or buy a modern car.

10. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    The idea is an old one. Mercedes started changing the throttle map in their extremely slow (0-60 in 30 sec) non-turbo diesels back in the seventies-80% throttle with 20% pedal movement. Of course, you got next to nothing for the next 80% pedal push.

US pushrod V8s can feel similar; ie, my Ford Explorer has a bit of surge in the initial settings.

Today, you can get the same thing with the M3 SMG; change to sport mode and the throttle map changes to make the car feel faster and more responsive.

To me, since the real gain in power is zero, I don't see the advantage. The throttle in the 360 seems fine to me as is. I would prefer linear settings.

steve