Paint Bottom Trim Of My TR Red ? | FerrariChat

Paint Bottom Trim Of My TR Red ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tommyworld, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    I'm thinking of painting the spoiler & rocker panels red to match the car not because i want to look like a 512 TR so much as that i just like the look better. i've seen alot of TR's done this way. Whats your oppinion?

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    It will make a HUGE cosmetic difference......Go for it!!!!

Tom "ex 512TR owner".

3. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

if you upgrade to 18" wheels you can pull the look off, but if you stick with the 16" then I don't like it.

I read that ferrari made the orig tr's with the black to make the car appear thin and then made the 512's the body color to make the car appear low to the ground.

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Yeah go for it. Did same for my 348 never regretted it. Only thing I regretted was the knuckle-headed body shop that did it - took 11 days and it still looked like slop.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #5 Chiaro_Slag, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I personally don't like when it's done but if it makes you happy then go for it! I agree that does look better with larger rims though and I also think that it looks great on a 348.

7. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Jerry, that blue tailight treatment is pure genius.
    I love it!

Wes

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I like the factory look, but if it floats your boat go for it. The only thing that matters is what YOU like.

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I would go for the look the people at Pininfarina once intended. But as said, if it works for you, go for it.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry

I like it also, but it was done by a prior owner, so I am still a non-genuis. :)

Thanks for the compliment though. :)

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry

And the good folks at Pininfarina never make mistakes? Since the later models had the painted skirts, I take that to mean they found something that looks even better!

12. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    How would this affect concours judging? I like the painted look as well, but don't know if I want this or not when I get mine.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If you are going to concourse, I think you would lose points for this as it is not original, unless you got a 512TR.

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Pininfarina has made the odd mistake (the F50, hell, even Fioravanti pointed out that the Daytona has it's visual flaws (and I respectfully disagree)), but on the Testarossa, Pininfarina nailed it prefectly. The 512 TR is a whole other proposition. With it's bigger wheels and re-styled enginecover, the car needs coloured trims to maintain the balance. The 1984-1991 Testarossa, however doesn't. I know it is about the details and it doesn't really matter what you do, but if the question is asked, then this is my answer.

15. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    I forgot to mention it has 512 wheels (chromed) on it. here,s a not so good pic.

16. 951racerX

951racerX Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Danno
  17. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I say paint it, but you have to go with 18's. Looks like you're good there.

The stock 16" single lug will not be able to "carry" the new painted skirts.

Robb Williamson

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    If that's the look you are going for, why not buy a 512 TR all together?

19. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Do I dare to ask why your car sits on FL license plates?
    :)

20. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    It's your car...so you should do what you want...but I think it looks terrible. I think the 512TR, while an amazing machine, is not quite as attractive as a TR. I don't care for the wheels, the body color valence makes the shape look too tall and thick and the rear engine cover isn't shaped as nicely. (The butresses go all the way to the end of the cover instead of stopping short and making a gradual turn up like on the TR).

That being said, the dynamics of the car are awesome. An impressive machine.

If you like it, just do it. Don't ask us!

LS

21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    For the LOVE OF GOD keep it original !!!!, but if it floats your boat, do it. DO what makes you happy in your car...personally always like the original.

22. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My '91 TR has the spoiler and rocker panels painted red to match the car. I'd do it, since it makes the whole car appear more complete. However, I've seen a couple of messed up jobs where the primer bleed through or the paint was not matched up correctly. In these cases the look of the TR was really diminished.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    1k for paint=40k more for a 512TR

Not everybody is made of money

24. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Go for it...it'll look WAY more like a 512TR.

25. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    it looks very nice, funny how most people are okay putting on a challenge grill to 355 or 360 and funny how people are ok with different wheels on 360's but paint the TR and all hell breaks loose............
    i dont understand why you would tell someone to buy a 512? do people say buy a 355/360 challenge and use it on the road?
    anyway good luck on whatever you do the cars great and painted or not its still beautiful