Detailers: pick one! | FerrariChat

Detailers: pick one!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have several wax/polish options for this weekend's show-n-shine event in North Carolina. All would be applied with a Griots random orbital buffer (orange pad), and hand dusted. FWIW, I don't care about durability. I want maxmium shine for this event... and possible cover-up of a few very fine scratches. Car was clayed in late spring, so I probably won't do it again for this event.

Car is rosso nero - i.e. BLACK.

Which would you choose??
    1. Griots Best In Show
    2. Meguires Gold Class
    3. Zymol Cleaner Wax
    4. Nu Finish
    5. Meguires Scratch-X

Don't suggest that I buy something else... my budget is $0.

-Daniel

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ANYONE OF THE 3 I RECOMMEND.

P21S......THE CHEAPEST
    ZYMOL ITALIA.........MIDDLE

ZYMOL CONCOURSE....UNREAL BUT PRICEY..

OR STICK WITH A WAX FAST SPRAY LIKE MEQUIRERS #34 FOR EASY SHINE AND WORK

GOOD LUCK

BRUCE

3. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey daniel, I've never used the griots, but the meguiars gold works better than anything else you listed. Also have you tried that new meguiars tech wax? It really works well! I think last time I saw you my car had gold class wax about 2 weeks before.

4. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    daniel, i've seen your car and believe me you have NOTHING to worry about.
    i just hope mine is half as good as yours.i still want you to help me clay my car one weekend...... see ya sat.

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    USE:

1. Zymol Cleaner Wax

then use

2. Meguires Gold Class

i usually do a full STRIP DOWN wash, then clay bar, then 3M scratch remover, then Zymol Cleaner Wax, and lastly Zymol Ital.

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
  7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Tyler -

Yeah, I can spare the $15 -- but I've building a stockpile of these dang products, and I really want to use them up.

Kevin/Jeremy -- It's been 2500 miles since you last saw the car!! Trust me, it needs a little spit & shine.

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I can attest to the NXT Generation Product.....
    It's very easy to use. Just make sure you allow time for the wax to dry (3 minutes or so after spray) before wiping it off....Change clean towels often.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Griots.

Use it all the time.

Deep shine, great color. I like it better than any of the 14 other waxes I still have in the tub in the garage.

10. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Well, since you want maximum shine and depth of color, you should stick with a white carnauba wax. As previously mentioned, the Zymol Concours in very good in this regard (51%? white carnuaba), but since you only want to use what you have, I would have to say the Griots would be best for your situation. You may want to start with the Zymol Cleaner wax to prep the surface and try to fill in more scratches before the Griots to really help the paint clean up. Hope this helps and good luck in the event.

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    You said not to mention another product you would have to buy. But if you really want to get rid of those fine scratches, I highly recommend 3m's fine scratch remover. I can't remember the exact name, but you'll know what it is when you see it.

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

You're probably referring to 3M Fill-n-Glaze Pink. That's some outstanding stuff but alas, it's not in my wash tub right now.

(If you want the real story... this is an issue with Mrs. Jack Russell. She keeps buying shoes; I keep buying car stuff. I told her "Good God, how many shoes do you need???". You can guess what she said back to me. It was something like, "Well, look at all that stuff you've bought for the damn Ferrari". She had a good point. She'll hold back on the shoes while I hold back on the car junk.)

-Daniel

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Personally, I would use P21S or Pinnacle if I had a black car.

Gold Glass is a wonderful product and seriously, one of the top ones out there. Since you already have it available, there's your answer.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4055

Regarding the carnuba content of waxes, it makes me laugh every time someone tries to tout a product as better because it has more carnuba in it. Wax is not a polish at all, and the more it contains, the only thing that increases is durability and makes it more difficult to work with. Higher carnuba percentage increasing optics is an URBAN LEGEND.

I'm a professional, my favorite color is black, and my results speak for themselves. Go with the product that you know how to get the best results from or simply go with your gut. A products strengths and weaknesses become more apparant the more you use it, so you can't lose by trying something new and comparing the two together.

The key to looking great is in the prep work, having some attention to detail, and taking some level of involvement for the care for your finish beyond the $10-20 wash and wax on the corner.

They key to winning Pebble Beach is a scientific understanding of the products and combinations of products needed to achieve a desired effect that comes with experience, blood, sweat, and countless hours for no other reward than to say, "I did that."

Sunny

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Griots is the one to use of what you've got. If you want the MOST depth and shine out of it, here's what you do: apply several coats, allowing at least 12 hours between them. Let the next to last coat be a thin layer and let it set for 2 hours only. Without wiping off the residue, go back over the dry wax with another layer of fresh (wet) wax; allow it to haze and then remove it. It's a lot of work, but the results are well worth it, especially if you are going to be participating in a show or concours.

16. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Hahahaha. That's great. I just went and looked, it's called rubbing compound fine cut. I too have a ton of car cleaning stuff. I guess it's fair for the both of you, but just remember you can hide new chemicals, however she can't hide new shoes. She'll have to wear them eventually won't she?

17. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sunny... AMEN!!! This is precisely why i strip it all down, then clay bar, followed by 3M fine scratch/swirl, then cleaner wax, and lastly wax her. Break it ALL down, do all the prep, then build it back up. i can't begin to count how many compliments the car gets due to the condition of the paint... and i drive the piss out of this nearly two-decade old 60k miles car that does see rain, dirt roads, etc.

18. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    May I ask what you use to "Break it all down" with? I do everything else, but wonder if I prepare the paint for it well enough. Any special washes you use?

19. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.

Agreed, given the selection.

(For durability, I would apply final layers of a professional line of carnuba)

20. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Thanks for the many replies! I'll start the regimen tomorrow evening and see how she looks. If the mood strikes, I'll indeed "Dawn" wash it to strip everything, then run my Griots clay over it. Black is such a b$%ch to keep pristine. Every little thing is noticable.

Again, many thanks!

-Daniel

21. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Daniel

How about this?

Take a close up photo of a panel before you start, then a picture of the same panel after you finish. That way, you can justify going the extra mile knowing we are here admiring your work :)

Besides, it gives you an excuse to take pictures of the car, AND an excuse for me to log on while I am at work.

A couple of different shots of the whole car would help keep me convinced that spending all this money I am fixing to spend on a car is not insane, and retirement is less important than living today!

22. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I actually prefer to use Mothers ultimate wax system. Start off with with the cleaner wax stage 1, then the sealer and glaze, and finally their carnauba wax. I was just intersted in what you guys use.

I have also learned that carnauba waxes are great for ultimate shine, however their durability is short, 60-90 days. I would suggest for harsher weather, putting a few layers of a synthetic wax or polish on and then a few layers of carnauba wax for the ultimate protection.

23. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    some pics... 1985 car, 55k+ miles... daily driver INCLUDING rain... This was my Winter 2003 complete detail job. Note the snow on the ground in the last picture :(

24. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Now that's some funny stuff. :D

I'm going to pick up a bottle of 3M Fill-N-Glaze right now. Getting some hairline's that I want to address. :mad:

25. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Sunny's been a wealth of knowledge when it comes to car detailing. He definitely knows his stuff, and writes extensively about his experiences. I usually take his word as gospel.

You da man Sunny! Keep the recommendations coming.