355 A/C Compressor problems? | FerrariChat

355 A/C Compressor problems?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rjones355, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rjones355

Rjones355 Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Rancho Murieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Jones
  2. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    UM?? little more info?

3. Rjones355

Rjones355 Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Rancho Murieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Jones
    Sorry...I was driving the car this weekend, and out of nowhere the a/c stopped blowing cold. I then noticed something burning. I immediatly turned off the a/c thinking that the compressor has froze and it was burning on the belt. I drove it home with no a/c. I looked at it when I got home and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. The next day I tried the a/c and it worked fine.
    My thinking was that the compressor or clutch is going bad, and that when it cooled off it un-froze itself. Im thinking it is going to freeze up for good, if I keep using it.
    Does this seem like a likely problem, any sugestions.

Thanks

4. Rjones355

Rjones355 Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Rancho Murieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Jones
    Well when I drove it last night, for the first part of my drive it blew cool for the whole 30 minutes or so. After a 2 1/2 hour round of golf, I got back in the car and headed home. The a/c did not blow cold, I pulled over to check it out to try and see if I could see if the compressor was froze, I did smell a slight burning smell, I assume from the belt rubbing on the froze compressor or clutch. I then checked back in the car, and to my surprise the fan was not blowing anymore.
    So I checked the 30amp fuse which I just updated to the larger cylinder shape 30amp fuse that everyone recomends changing. It was blown.
    What do you guys think. Could it be that the compressor or clutch is pulling to much current because it is failing. Thus the reason it is blowing the fuse and intermitantly freezing. Could it be the preassure in the ststem is not right (doesn't seem like it could be the source of my problem)
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Its supposed to be over a 100 degrees this week in Sacramento, I guess I will be driving my other car, for a little while.
    Thanks