308 whistling | FerrariChat

308 whistling

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pizzadude, Jul 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have an 83 308 and at about half throttle I get a high pitched whistle coming from the engine....at least I think it is. I can't seem to track it down. When I go past or below half throttle ( or around that anyway) it doesn't do it. Checked the vacume lines and they all seem fine. I don't think its anything serious, just annoying mainly. Anyone ever come across this?

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It's not uncommon for the packing in one or more of the exhaust tips to blow out, if you have OEM exhaust. If this happens, a whistling sound can occur and a simple sleeve inserted into the offending tip(s) can solve the problem.

If it's not that, there's a host of other things that can cause the whistle; bearings, etc.

Check the muffler first.

3. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a borla exhaust. I was thinking it might be the exhaust. Is it just on OEM or can it happen on the after markets also?

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's also really common for an induction whistle if the throttle butterfly isn't set quite right.....you can make it do a wolf whistle if you blip the throttle just right!

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy

Mine does the same thing. Or, if I put the pedal to the metal, it disappears. My mechanic thought it might be the exhaust. Sam's Mondial (on this list too) makes the same noise. He thinks it's the air pump. I'm siding with him. I have also heard the water pump can make the noise.

Drive next to a center divide in the highway & it's really annoying.

When my car goes in for it's belt service this fall, I'll have them check it out.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you have the stock exhaust, then it is the exhaust tips...trust me. The fix is to buy some stainless steel sheet metal, cut it into a 3.5" x 7" section (dimensions are a guess). The roll this around a broom handle, and stuff it in your exhaust tip. Move it around until you silence the noise (it is usually only one tip, but sometime more than one). There is a welded "lip" just inside the perforated area that should retain the metal sheet. Did this on my 308, worked perfectly. I got the metal sheet free from a local sheet metal shop. Tip: don't use aluminum or galvanized sheet metal (easily obtainable at local ACE hdwr store). This stuff did not work, as the heat caused it to tighten up, become loose and blow out the exhaust. Did help me determine the cause though...but the ss sheet made the permanent fix.

Dave

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    If the Borla has resonator tips it can happen.

If the whistle occurs while the engine isn't under load, have someone bring the engine up to the offending RPM. Listen at the exhaust and block off each tip 1 by 1. If the whistle goes away or changes, you've found the offending tip(s).

8. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for all of the feed back guys. Will check out my exhaust tips tomorrow. I know its not the air pump since its not on the car.

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I posted earlier that I had the same problem but ignored it until now. But after coming out of winter service, it seemed to be worse & happen on all acceleration. So enough was enough.

Today I cut the ends off a soup can, cut about 1/3 of it out, rolled up the remaining & stuck it in a muffler tip (Passenger side). The can was springy, so it expanded in the tip well. Problem gone. For kicks, I moved the insert to the next tip. Problem back. Campell's. Mmmmm MMmmmm good!