512 TR...is there any special area to look for?? | FerrariChat

512 TR...is there any special area to look for??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Pong, Jul 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Hi everyone....

We have decided to trade in our Koenig-body 328 GTB for a 512 TR. We will pick up the car this Monday. But first of all, I would like to know if there is any special area that we need to pay extra attention too.

Let me give you guys some infor about this car first. It's '93, metalic black with black interior. The interior is in very good shape. As far as we know, it has had its belt replaced 3 years ago...but it's rarely driven. It has been parked in the dealer for a long time. This car is for sale for almost a year, and no takers. We test drove it, and it ran fine. No smoke, no strange noise, it idles smoothly, the brake is very strong, the clutch is in good health. We had it sat in traffic jam for about 1/2 hour without heating problem. The air cond is ice cold.

However, it was involved in an accident. The motorcycle hit the passenger's door pretty hard. But other than that, I don't find anything wrong with the car.

I am not F-car expert. I have a very limited knowledge about big F-car like the 512 TR. But I sure love them. This purchase was very difficult for me, since I don't know much about the car, but has already made decision to buy it.

Please give us some suggestion or comment on the 512 TR in general. I would like to hear it from the current owners, previous owners, and anybody who has experienced it quie extensively.

How does it behave if we use it regularly (at least once a week)?

Can it handle heavy traffic (Bangkok's infamous traffic jam)?

What's the weak area of the car?

Any comment would be greatly appreciated....

I am sure we will enjoy the car, as we both love it when we test drove it. But I get this uneasy feeling that we never experienced owning the big Ferrari before...looking forward to its arrival to our garage this coming Monday.

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    really it is due for another belt service if they was done 3 years ago, as for driving in town it will drive easier than the 328 clutch gears brakes air con ect, you will just have to remember it is a lot bigger than the 328 actually the car is 1 foot wider at the back than the front but the steering is easier for parking ect

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd say: relax and enjoy your new TR!

That's a fantastic color combination.

I wouldn't worry about anything. Don't worry about the motorcycle accident. Don't worry about it overheating, because you've already learned that it won't. Don't worry about a thing, particularly since it's already yours.

Give it regular servicing, fix anything that breaks, and enjoy it.

--Matt

4. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Thank you for both comments. Yes, I agree that I am thinking too much..ha ha ha...

I asked about its capability to sit in traffic jam because the 50 minutes (30 minutes sitting in traffic jam) we had was nothing compare to what we would face in the real heavy traffic jam that can occur in Bangkok. But I guess that's not so important since I don't live in Bangkok. I just have to plan my trip and avoid using the TR to get to the heart of Bangkok....

But do I need another major service before I can enjy it to the full???? The belt is changed 3 years ago and it has been rarely driven ever since.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    the 512TR is a great car, very attractive & very powerful. It is wider than the 328 & not quite as nimble, 2 things you'll have to get used to

The biggest weakness I have found in these cars is that the transmission, especially the input shaft will snap under severe use or if a driver does repeated burnouts.

Probably not an issue for most cars, but just bear that in mind, dont do burnouts & you should be fine

As far as everyday traffic the 512TR should have no problems, just make sure the AC works well

Good luck

6. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Got the car this morning!!!!

It ran fine...ha ha. The first start up has a bit of white smoke, but disappear within 3 seconds after start. I think it's the oil left in the cylinder, but is this normal???

The ride is surprisingly soft. I expect it to be a bit harder than this. I love the torque this engine produces....in quite busy motorway, I just left it in 5th all the way home. The aircon works fine in 34 degree C cloudy weather. The car pull to the left a little and the bushings might need to be replaced soon, it wonders a bit.

All in all....a lovely car. We traded in the 328 and the NSX to get this 512TR. Not a bad deal since we need to make room in the garage. We need to do some paint repair since it has some rust spot near the skirt on the passenger side. The dealer give us new front brake pad and oil filter (they ordered but didn't install).

I will take some picture soon...

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    as for the pulling to one side....TRs are very sensitive to tyre pressure...2 lbs difference side to side will make it pull, front or rear. Check the plate in the glove box (behind the mirror) and keep them topped up.

8. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I am also a new owner having only owned older F cars before this one, and then sometime ago. I will also confirm everything you have found and what others have said - I think this is the last (with the M) of the "old F cars. After this they had to make them sophisticated and much easier to drive because they were losing sales to the Rodeo Drive set who dont like to work at the process.

A couple of thinhgs I would add - the fog lights are prone to moisture which can be repaired by removing the glass but it requires patience and some skill working with epoxy sealers. Also the headlights as fitted in the US are useless so make sure you have the Cibie/Hella halogen H4 and H1 bulbs.

Take care and have fun - this may be the last flat 12 engine ever built unless Subaru gets excited.

9. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Congrats. Its a great car and likes to be driven. Have 25000 on mine.

Two recall items to check. Fuel line and seat belt mechanism replacements, both free at ferrari dealers.

New belts three years ago are fine. Don't worry for at least two more years.

One annoying item is brake squeal. Learn to live with it. Check the archives for brake squeal threads and for that matter other 512TR threads.

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Pong, William is right on about the disproportional size of the engine vs. the size of the transmission (something to be mindful of when shifting). I loved my 512TR but I experienced a bit driver fatique around city traffic (keep in mind, I am not exactly the world best driver so this doesn't mean much)....

My 512TR drained the battery every few days if it remained inactive so I constantly drive w/ a portable battery starter in the car just in case. Otherwise, she was a beautiful car, fairly reliable....with scarily awesome power.....I wouln't mind getting another one into my collection someday.

11. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Thank you, everyone, for the comment. Keep it coming though.. I would love to learn as much as I can about the experience from others.

The car is '93 with ABS...I thought ABS comes with '94 and up. Anyway, I took the tool kit out last night and tried to clean the leather case. The tool kit is very complete with just one bulb missing. But the leather case is quite dirty. I used leather cleaner to clean it, but it seems to do little...ha ha. There was also some mold grows inside the case...help!!!??? What is the best thing to deal with this mold problem..!!??

I will take some picture this evening. It's raining quite heavily around here since 4 this morning. And it's expected to continue for a while... I guess I will do the best I can with the pic...

Thanks again.

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER

13. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    #13 Pong, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    #14 Pong, Jul 13, 2004
  15. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    By the way, the clock in the dash seems to by a bit noisy. I open the door to take the interior shot and notice a sound (like gears moving....) I think it coming from the clock. Is it normal too...???

16. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    It is a mechanical clock, so it will make some noise. I can hear mine when sitting in the car in a quite location, it's never been an issue when the car is running; that's probably attributable to the Tubi.

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Very nice, Congrats
    Heres a shot of my race cars engine. It has no mufflers & the air boxes were painted in thermal reflective paint

18. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I echo these comments, you have the last of an era for Ferrari. As nice and slick as the new F cars are they do not provide the driving experience that many of us like. As far as pure acceleration and torque the 360's can not keep up. Enjoy your car and drive it often.

19. mmorgan

mmorgan Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Michael Morgan
    Pong,

Congratulations on your recent purchase. I have a 1994 512TR black/tan with ABS. Over the past two years I have made these observations.

1. Clock is noisy as you describe, can't be heard when driving though.

2. Get the Seat belt recall done even if your belts seem to work fine.

3. Be VERY careful going in and out of drive ways and parking lots. It is extremely easy to scrape the chin spoiler, or even cut through the protective aluminum under tray if you are not carefull. Get into a habit of taking driveways etc at sharp angles.

4. When closeing the front boot, press with the palm of your hand, not finger tips as high pressure will dent body panel.

5. When washing the car, cover engine with a large towel to prevent engine/electrics from getting to wet. Also, I noticed after washing my car, that lots of water would drip from front boot lid if it was up. Try not to spray front area around air intake too much.

6. Air conditioning freon leakage is usually due to fittings on compressor coming loose due to twisting action of engine. Keep an eye on these and torque them up occassionally.

7. Reflections off of dash into windshield line of vision is a problem when driving toward the direction of the sun.

8. Do the normal skip 2nd gear routine until gearbox is warm. Also keep off the rev's until you can see oil temp as seen on gauge. After this, let her rip !

9. I turn off my battery when not in use, keeps charge OK this way. But manual recommends 10 minute idle upon next start up to let ECU's re-calibrate something in the EFI.

10. Keep the car well maintained !!

11. A package of desicant material may be a good idea to put in your front boot area to keep the moisture level down to prevent mold build up.

12. Keep an eye on the Slow Down lights, they are trying to tell you something ! Find the problem and fix it, otherwise you risk Cat meltdown and subsequent engine fire.

13. Watch the side mirrors, in tight situations they will be the first thing to come off of the car !

I would not worry about the belts yet, give them a few more years as others have said. The only problem I have had with mine is a leaky AC system, and the occasional opening of the glove box after going over a bump in the road.

If you can fit in the car with a helmet on, I highly recomend you try to track the car. It's not the best in the corners as expected, but it sure comes out of the corners good and hauls ass down the straight. I have given F40, 360, GT2 and GT3's a run for their money down the straights. Watch the rev limiter, it comes up quick.

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    its a lot wider than a 328 so be careful in tight spots & backing up

21. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I enjoyed my 94 512 very much and if I could have fit in her a little better I never would have parted with her, just to much of a squeeze.I dont know of any major negative issues with the 512 TR, a very user friendly car.

As earlier stated you must skip 2nd gear until warm and also keep an eye out for spoiler scraping speed bumps etc.The clock is quite loud,other than that she should be super tight,quiet and a blast to drive even at normal speeds.

You will love her Enjoy!

22. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong

1. Noted about the clock..ha ha.

2. Will check with the local dealer.

3. Will do the best I can...I am used to lowered car...I am still a ricer afterall, you can see the rear end of my R34 GTR in one of the picture...that car has super low front spoiler.

4. Have been doing that.

5. Wowww...gotta get more towels.

6. Will ask dealer to check the next time I bring her in.

7. Noted..ha ha, can't do a thing though.

8. Will do that...but the test drive and the drive back home, it was easy to engage 2nd even when cold...

9. Does the 512 has the battery switch like F355, F360??? I have not finished reading the manual yet.

10. Plan to do that...thanks :)

11. A very good idea...we have a rather humid weather here all year long.

12. Yes, sir!!!

13. OK...will not try to do something funny in it..

I plan to take the 512TR for a drive this late afternoon. Hopefully to take my wife for a good dinner. She allowed me to trade in her NSX for this car, so be nice to her is a must... :)

As for track day...I am too afraid. I have Mitsubishi EVOLUTION (for club race) and Mazda Miata (for gymkhana: autocross to you in the US) for that purpose. So, I will stick with them for now... I would love to get the 512 to the track, but not so soon...gotta learn how to drive her properly first. I took my brother's 360 to the track once and enjoy the car much more than when we drove it on the road. It will be interesting to see if we will enjoy the 512 on the track as much as the 360.

Again, thanks for all comments.... they are all very useful...gotta print this tread out for keep. If there is more comment, keep them coming...

23. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    congrats on your new F-car addition looks like a nice example. As quoted above I couldn't have said it better, all are good tips that I've experienced too. I didn't even know of #6 that's a good one to look out for.

24. Fastcarsted

Fastcarsted Rookie

May 5, 2004
    I have a 1988 1/2 TR. First thing u need to do, is pull out the Cats and Pre cats, from the exhaust system. TR's are famous for exhaust fires. Mine caught on fire yrs. back. Also, by taking them out your TR will run much cooler.

I do agree with taking it easy with 2nd gear, until nice and warm, gearboxes are expensive. I found that one out too. Expect to spend about $10,000 each yr. for costs. That has been my average cost for the last 6 yrs.

Other than that, enjoy!

Ted

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    #25 steve f, Jul 14, 2004