Lupe, We Found Your Watch! | FerrariChat

Lupe, We Found Your Watch!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
  2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #3 ghost, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Lupe then get the single chronograph, it's right below what you want to spend. That's what I have...PM me and I can tell you more.

4. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Lupe and you all,

Let me know if you are looking for a specific piece. I am in the business (on the side) and have very close friends who own actual retail outlets (buying on the web can be very risky in this genre) for all high end Timepieces. I'll be happy to hook you all up with whatever you need. I know we already discussed this Lupe, but I wanted to remind you that I'll be happy to help.

Eric

5. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Hey Eric:

I would like to possibly get a Cartier Tank Chrono. I am currently away for the time being and was going to get it down here but if the deal is sweeter home, maybe I will thnk twice. PM me or e mail me the details if you can.

Thanks

Keith

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i highly discourage anyone thinking about getting a Cartier Tank watch. just my opinion.

7. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    I was gonna get the Tag Heuer "Senna" edition. It is a limited edition "link" series. They make a different version every year. I get a decent discount through the IRL.

Whattaya think? Should I get it?

8. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John

Ditto on that with Hubert.

9. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Hey Hubert:

Please explain if you will. Don't want to make a mistake in your opinion ;)

10. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I have to agree with them as well. The Cartier Tank Chrono is also a Quartz movement and at $5k+ retail for that piece, i think you will tire of it quick and have trouble recouping your investment even with a good discount. Here is a link to my friends retail store in Englewood NJ. He has links to a good deal of manufacturers sites and I have the 2004 watch annual that I can bring with me on the next run. It is like the encyclopedia of watch options.

11. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Josh, that's an easy one to pick up and my friend is actually an authorized retailer for Tag. Depending on the piece you will definitely be looking at 30% or more off retail. That is from an authorized dealer which does mean something as opposed to the grey market folks online. I'll be happy to help you out...

12. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Thanks for your help. I actually get a 50% discount from Tag itself, so it is not grey market. Are these not popular watches? I woul dhave thought they would be gobbled up pretty quick.

13. RANTANESIAN

RANTANESIAN Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2004
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rene Antanesian
    Hey Lupe I have a nice solid gold Tag Monza with a leather strap that I want to get rid of if you are intrested.

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Let us know the link.

15. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    That's a good situation you have there with Tag. They are popular watches and recently Tag has "reinvented" itself by bringing out a more varied line from the low end up closer to the high end with limited edition pieces and watches like Rene's that are solid gold re-issues from earlier models. They are especially popular with folks like us who appreciate Automobiles in addition to fine timepieces. The two are synonomus and the sky is the limit on collecting both...but I think most of us here know that all too well! ;-)

The one thing about Tag, Rolex, Breitling and the like is that watch collectors tend to stray away from pieces that are readily available and produced in high numbers. Other than that, you should choose what YOU like best.

16. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
  17. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

As Eric has explained....the Cartier Tank watch is a quartz movement watch. Quartz movement runs only $100 at most. All Cartier does is put this $100 quartz movement into a steel casing and charge u $5000 for it. Does it seem right? IMO, hell no.

If Im going to spend $5000 on a watch, I would ONLY buy a mechanical watch.

Plus...if u going to spend a few thousand dollars on a watch, never buy one that u can get at Price Club.

If u buy the right high-end watches, it's like buying a nice growth stock. They just keep going up in value!

But....listen to what u want to hear. The most important thing is that you buy something that u LIKE. That's what counts.

18. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Ummm, where's Yellow 355?

19. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Just buy a swatch and be done with it.

20. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    tru dat. youll need pipes/exhaust for that in-coming 360 of yours playa.

21. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Thanks for all the information guys. Tell me what you think is a good investment. I am new to the "watch scene" so please help me out. Acutally I really do not have the time to even learn about them but I am sure you guys can help me out. I am a quick learner. It seems that Hubert likes the IWC's. Let me know.

Talk to you all soon

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    IWC's where it's at. Great style. Great value for money.

23. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Seems to be where it is. Anyone else?

24. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    for the $5k u spending....i'd get another IWC watch or a Panerai watch.